Preservation Committee Meeting: November 18, 2019

Zoom / Conference Call

Members attending:

  • Mary Burns, Northern Illinois University, co-chair
  • Nora Gabor, DePaul University
  • Tonia Grafkos, Northwestern University
  • Susan Howell, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
  • Becky Koch, Illinois State University
  • Ann Lindsey, University of Chicago, co-chair
  • Pattie Piotrowski, University of Illinois at Springfield, Board liaison
  • Meghan Ryan, National Louis University
  • William Schlaack, University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign

Member absent:

  • Rob DeLand, VanderCook College of Music

Staff Attending:

  • Elizabeth Clarage
  • Nicole Swanson



  • Preservation Resources Webliography
    • Clarification needed of definition of Exhibits for the Webliography.
  • Annual Project – Preservation Interviews: Learning from our Collective Experience
    • Will did his interview for Marco, and it is ready to be posted.
    • Nora- update on Jenny Dunbar: Questions emailed to her, waiting to find out what her availability is and what would work best for her.
    • It was suggested to reach out to the chair of the ALA Preservation Week Committee and see if they can answer questions. Ann will cover the article for preservation week (update- Meghan volunteered to write the article for Preservation week).
    • Ann suggested speaking on a digital preservation program for April. Mary has someone to potentially interview.
  • Newsletter Tips
    • September 15: Introduction to annual project—Ann
    • October 15: Planning and Assessment – Mary/Ann
    • November 15: Exhibits – Will/Marco
    • December 15: Exhibits - Susan/Bonnie
    • January 15: Disaster Response – Ann/Tonia
    • February 15: Staff Training – Ann/Lesa Dowd
    • March 15: Preservation Week- Meghan  (ALCTS/ PARS chair?)
    • April 15: Nora -Jenny Dunbar, could be May
    • May 15-Mary, Matt Short
    • June 15(due in May) – Project Summary- Meghan
  • Future Workshops, Webinars & Open houses
    • The committee should decide whether we will do a workshop or a webinar. In-person events must be at least four hours to serve lunch. For webinars, Elizabeth mentioned Adobe Connect was used in the past, but CARLI is trying Zoom which can accommodate more attendees.
    • Possible one-hour webinars topics: Intake of collections donated to the library and need for preservation staff input; protocols and donors and their expectations including digitization of their collections.
    • Tonia would prefer this to take place 2021 as she cannot take point on it in the upcoming year.
    • The Committee decided to table this and begin discussions again in May.
  • Open House 2020
    • Ann has confirmed that both the Newberry Library and the Chicago History Museum are interested in hosting open houses.
    • She will contact them again about specific dates (March 27 or April 3) and ask about space for lunch. A contract will need to be signed for Newberry.
    • Save the date notice should be sent in mid-January. Registration should open February 14.


  • Meghan was confirmed to take minutes.    
  • The agenda was approved.
  • The October meeting minutes were approved.
  • The meeting adjourned at 10:50.

Tasks Assigned

  • Ann will resend message to the open house locations for a reply if no word for open house locations regarding dates/locations by December.
  • Meghan will write up transit directions for using public transportation to go from one venue to the other.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

Schedule of Preservation Committee meetings:

  • December 9, 2019: 10:00-11:30
  • January 13, 2020: 10:00-11:30
  • February 10, 2020: 10:00-11:30
  • March 9, 2020: 10:00-11:30
  • April 13, 2020: 10:00-11:30
  • May 11, 2020: 10:00-11:30
  • June 8, 2020: 10:00-11:30