Preservation Committee Meeting: April 13, 2020

Zoom / Conference Call

Members attending:

  • Rob DeLand, VanderCook College of Music
  • Nora Gabor, DePaul University
  • Tonia Grafakos, Northwestern University
  • Susan Howell, Southern Illinois University Carbondale
  • Becky Koch, Illinois State University
  • Ann Lindsey, University of Chicago, co-chair
  • Meghan Ryan, National Louis University
  • William Schlaack, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
  • Pattie Piotrowski, University of Illinois at Springfield, Board liaison

Member absent:

  • Mary Burns, Northern Illinois University, co-chair

Staff attending:

  • Elizabeth Clarage
  • Nicole Swanson


  • Member Announcements:
    • All members noted that their libraries are closed at least until April 30.
    • Becky Koch announced that job openings were still active and being vetted at Illinois State University.
  • CARLI Announcements:
    • There have been many changes as a result of COVID-19, including the suspension of the Illinois Library Delivery Service (ILDS), turning off I-Share Universal Borrowing, and the cancellation or postponement of all in-person events scheduled through at least April 30. CARLI’s COVID-19 page ( provides the most recent information about operations, links to special e-resource offers, and links to other significant COVID-19 resources.
    • The CARLI 40th Anniversary Celebration and Scholarship Kick-Off Event, originally scheduled for June 28 at the Art Institute of Chicago, has been rescheduled to November 12, 5:30-7:30 p.m., at the I Hotel in Champaign, the day before the CARLI Annual Meeting, November 13. You can contribute stories, photos, or videos reflecting about CARLI, its predecessor organizations, the staff, meetings, consortium membership, resource sharing, etc. at:     
    • The CARLI Board of Directors has suspended open calls for committee volunteers for next year to allow the opportunity of committee charges to be evaluated and updated. Current committee members who would be rolling off the Committee at the end of June are invited to continue your service for another year in order to help us complete this evaluation and prepare final recommendations to the Board to review at their December 2020 meeting. A final plan would be presented for approval at the March 2021 Board meeting. If anyone isn't able to continue on the Committee, please email Margaret Chambers ( as well as Elizabeth and Nicole.
    • Alma/Primo update: even with many changes of CARLI staff and Ex Libris staff working from home, the Alma Primo VE timeline continues as planned currently, with a go live date of June 24. Deadlines coming up this month were reviewed, and new documents shared.
    • ACT Up: Evaluating Sources and Pushing Against Privilege is available on the CARLI website,, in the section on “Enhancing Library Instruction.”
    • Getting Ready for Primo VE is available on the CARLI website at
    • Applications for the CARLI Scholarship ( are due May 1.
    • Applications for the Research Funding Program ( are due May 15.
    • The CARLI Professional Development Reimbursement Program ( is available for staff and faculty, both full and part-time at CARLI Governing Member Libraries.


  • COVID-19
    • COVID-19 Concerns have shut down live meetings and most of our colleges’ on-campus classes for Spring 2020 at the very least.  Circumstances and details are changing daily, with enrollment and budgets for the year at risk.  Some member institutions were going ahead with hiring plans, while others were freezing budgets and headcounts, with contract workers possibly at risk as well.
    • Tonya shared several recent preservation resources regarding COVID-19 response in cultural institutions:
    • Almost all recommendation regarding COVID on surfaces rely on two articles, one was published the by NEJM and the other by the Journal of Hospital Infection.  The Library of Congress has recommendation on the use of hand sanitizers in special collections reading rooms.  NEDCC also has recommendation on the dangers of disinfecting material.
    • There is information on the virus but not consensus on how long things should be isolated.  What there is consensus on is that cultural heritage institutions should not disinfect their collections material.  A common question coming up on the listservs is the use of Clorox 365 to disinfect buildings.  The product guide states that it should not be used on paper. This disinfectant was not developed for use on cultural property.
    • Ann volunteered to write a Preservation Tip to share resources Committee members have gathered with the CARLI membership.
  • Webliography update
    • Assessment Planning—Susan (completed)
    • Audio-visual Preservation—Mary (completed)
    • Book Repair and Conservation— Susan (completed)
    • Digital Preservation and Digitization for Preservation—William (completed)
    • Disaster Planning and Response—William (completed)
    • Exhibits—Becky (completed)
    • General Preservation and Conservation Resources Sites—Ann/Rob? (Ann has begun)
    • Glossaries—Nora (completed)
    • Grants and Development—Meghan
    • Legal Issues—Tonia (completed)
    • Library Binding—Rob (completed)
    • Mold, Pests, and the Environment—Becky
    • Protective Enclosures and Storage —Meghan
    • Special Collections and Archives—Mary (completed)
    • Social Media—Nicole
    • Supply Vendors—Elizabeth (completed)
    • Training—Ann (completed)
  • Annual Project
    • Preservation Interviews
    • Nora received an email from Jennie Dunbar (Archivist at College of DuPage) answering interview questions which are now ready for our next newsletter (NOTE: this update came 4-14-2020, the day after our meeting so there was no discussion).
  • On March 10, 2020, CARLI announced that the planned March tour was cancelled, followed on March 11th by the Newberry Library cancelling all live events due to COVID-19.


  • Minutes of the March 9, 2020 meeting were tabled for review in May since they had not been sufficiently reviewed ahead of time.  This was our last meeting before COVID-19 changed the landscape for 2020.
  • The meeting was adjourned at 11:00 am.
  • Ann will create an article for the newsletter about what resources are available for the safe handling of collections material related to COVID-19.

Tasks Assigned

  • Rob DeLand to take minutes.
  • Ann will create an article for the newsletter about what resources are available for the safe handling of collections material related to COVID-19.
  • Elizabeth will create a box note for all to add resources for the article that Ann will write.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

Next Meeting: Monday, May 11, 2020, Conference call/Zoom meeting

Schedule of Preservation Committee Meetings:

  • June  8, 2020: 10:00-11:30