Technical Services Committee Meeting: July 26, 2017

In-person Meeting, CARLI Office

Members attending:  
Jessica Grzegorski (Newberry Library); Mary Konkel (College of DuPage); Joelen Pastva (Northwestern University); Gayle Porter (Chicago State University); Adrienne Radzvickas (Lincoln College); Nicole Ream-Sotomayor (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign); Sandy Roe (Illinois State University); Cynthia Romanowski (chair, Governors State University); Chris Schmit (National-Louis University) 

Members absent: 
None 

CARLI staff attending: 
Jen Masciadrelli; Nicole Swanson

Announcements:

Committee Announcements:

  • Mary has been appointed to the revision committee charged with updating the 2012 document: ACRL Guidelines for Media Resources for Academic Libraries. She had previously worked on these guidelines in an earlier 1999 iteration. Much has changed over the years.  Drafts for comment will be released in late spring 2018 with the final document scheduled for fall 2018.
  • Adrienne presented at the Ohio Valley Group of Technical Services Librarians (OVGTSL) meeting on the topic of weeding and did a poster session at ALA Chicago on programming resources.
  • Cynthia reported that Governors State University will be seeking a Science Librarian. Job posting is forthcoming.
  • Sandy reported that long time Illinois State University Library Director, Dane Ward just retired and this position has been filled with an interim dean, Shari Zek.  ISU is also seeking a Music Librarian with both cataloging and collection development responsibilities. Posting just came out: https://www.jobs.ilstu.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/position/JobDetails_css.jsp?postingId=260122. Their Head of Cat/Acq/Processing (currently acting/interim) position has been approved for a July 1, 2018 hire.  More information forthcoming when available.

CARLI reports:

  • The 2017 CARLI Annual Meeting will be held on Friday, November 17 at the I-Hotel Conference Center in Champaign. All CARLI member library staff are invited to attend.
  • Over the next three months CARLI Senior Director, Anne Craig, will be traveling to member libraries around the state for ″Listening Sessions, ″ with CARLI library directors. These will be informal, approximately two-hour sessions. During these meet-ups, Anne is eager to hear about your library′s challenges and successes in order to more clearly understand our member's needs and to be able to relate your stories to stakeholders. The following are the sessions that are currently accepting registrations. Please check the CARLI calendar or the Directors Resources page for any future updates to this schedule https://www.carli.illinois.edu/membership/directors.
  • Jen is planning to conduct Voyager Acquisitions training August 28-29, 2017.
  • Four new libraries will join I-Share in 2018: McHenry County Library, Spertus Institute for Jewish Studies, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library, and Moody Bible Institute. CARLI is currently working with ExLibris to plan migrations, and the new libraries will hopefully be live during the first half of 2018. This will bring I-Share up to 90 member libraries.
  • Update on NextGen is that RFP is in State Procurement Office. Don’t have a date yet when the RFP will be publicly posted. The Committee is working on the scoring rubric.

Discussions:

  • A brief overview of the following documents was presented for new Committee members:
  • The following documents were briefly reviewed: 
  • Discussed document: Ideas for Committee Projects/Webinars/Forums/Collaborations (posted in Box) which also captured Spring Forum attendee suggestions for topics 
    • Continue our focus on preparing for I-Share NextGen, email/newsletter/discussion list blast alerts were discussed as a way to highlight database cleanup projects which would help prepare for migration. 
    • Record mini-webinars on how data (specifically problem data) displays in VuFind 3. Ideas briefly touched on so far include: comparison of VuFind vs. VuFind3, indicators and codes that affect catalog searching, using facets to improve discoverability, optimizing your data for better discoverability. Webinars with supplemental resources (highlighting existing CARLI and creating new documents as needed) were our initial thoughts.  This is a timely topic as libraries decide whether to upgrade to VuFind3.  Be prepared for further discuss at our next meeting, September 6.
    • Potential Spring Forum topic:  Weeding E-Resources. Governors State University would be a good venue again, judging from very favorable comments from Spring Forum.  Would be good topic for collaboration with another CARLI committee.  Further discussion and decision at upcoming meetings.

Decisions:

  • Minutes of the July 26, 2017, meeting were approved. 
  • The August 30 meeting has been cancelled as the new TSC meeting schedule was set for the first Wednesday of the month from 10-11:30am via Adobe Connect/conference call. So the next meeting of the committee will be September 6, 2017 from 10-11:30.  Committee members can connect via Adobe with microphone or telephone call in as usual.
  • Minutes taker schedule was set as follows: September: Joelen, October: Sandy, November: Nicole, December: Jessica, January: Adrienne, February: Chris, March: Gayle, April: Mary, May: Joelen, June: Sandy.
  • On behalf of the Committee, Mary and Joelen will present our 2016/2017 Annual Project at the November 17 CARLI Annual Meeting and provide the requested 1-page summary for meeting packet, due October 16.
  • Jessica Grzegorski and Nicole Swanson will continue to compile the updates to the Calendar of RDA Trainings:  https://www.carli.illinois.edu/products-services/i-share/cat/rda-resources-upcoming-training.  This continues to be a useful webpage that can be freely shared outside of the CARLI community as appropriate.  If you encounter RDA events that are not yet listed, send them to the Committee email list and Jessica Grzegorski and Nicole Swanson will update the calendar.
  • Continue to use BOX, hosted by the University of Illinois, to store, share, and collaborate on documents. Last year, this proved to be a great tool for up-to-the-minute group editing and allowed us to have a common space to hold minutes, agenda, and committee documents until they were officially posted on the CARLI website. We found this software to be easier to use than GoogleDocs. TSC Box account: https://app.box.com/folder/11036453847    
  • The meeting was adjourned at 2:05 p.m.

Tasks assigned:

  • Jen will create a new folder in Box to archive last year’s 2016-2017 TSC activities and reports. 
  • All Committee members will use Box (either uploading Word document or via Box notes) to generate ideas for possible mini webinars on data and VuFind, which we selected as our annual project focus.
  • Jen will create a request for feedback in the introduction for our Annual Project website, referring site users to send comments to CARLI support, which will then be shared with the committee for response to sender or potential updates to document/webpage.
  • Nicole will check on number of “hits” on our Annual Project page and RDA Calendar. 
  • Nicole and Jessica will update the RDA Calendar for the fall.
  • All Committee members should log into the Technical Services Committee group space to create or update their entry. 
    • Access:
      • First log into the CARLI website: http://www.carli.illinois.edu/user     
      • Then, access the webpage in one of three ways:
      1. Select Technical Services Committee under Group Membership on the initial login screen;
      2. Select Technical Services Committee on the User Account tab’s dropdown list; 
      3. Enter the direct URL in your web browser  https://www.carli.illinois.edu/user-account/technical-services-committe
    • Photos: Nicole and Jen can add your photo to the page; send a photo with a height of 120px (photos can be resized for free using http://www.picresize.com/). 

Meeting dates and deadlines:

•    Next meeting: via Adobe Connect/conference call: Wednesday September 6: 10-11:30 am

Respectfully submitted,
Mary S. Konkel