Resource Sharing Committee Meeting: September 19, 2018

September 19, 2018 – conference call

Members attending: Belinda Cheek (North Central College), Eric Edwards (Illinois State Library), Kari Garman (Bradley University), Thomas Mantzakides (Morton College), Sarah McHone-Chase (Northern Illinois University), Marcella Nowak (College of DuPage), Nathan Thebarge (Trinity International University), (Ashtin Trimble (Black Hawk College)

Members absent: Rand Hartsell (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)

Staff attending: Debbie Campbell

Staff absent: Lorna Engels


  • Introductions were made to and of Nathan Thebarge of Trinity International University, a new member on the committee.
  • The 2018 CARLI Annual Meeting will be held on Friday, November 2. Interested parties should register to attend.
  • Voyager Cataloging Client Training will be held on Thursday, October 18 and Friday, October 19 at the CARLI office.  
  • CARLI will hold a Voyager Skills webinar on Batch Deletes on Friday, September 28 from 11 am – noon. No registration is required.
  • Registration is open for the CARLI Resource Sharing Fall Forum to be held on Thursday, October 25 at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library. Committee members should register to attend if they are going. Registration will be capped at 99 and closes on Monday, October 15.


  • The agenda / schedule for the Fall Forum was finalized.
    • Following the Registration and Welcome, Travis McDade will be the keynote speaker. 
    • The Packaging / Damage Presentation will last 30 minutes and incorporate a skit demonstrating poor packaging techniques, a review of best practices documentation, and a Kahoot quiz allowing attendees to vote on whether selected images show normal delivery wear-and-tear vs. billable damage. 
    • Everyone will attend the ILLINET survey session after lunch. 
    • For the first breakout session, the options were set at three:
      • ipresentation by Ted Schwitzner on Patron Barcodes
      • presentation by Kelly Fisher on Utilizing Open Access Sources in ILL Workflow
      • discussion moderated by Brittany Poku on Patron Instruction & Promotion of Interlibrary Loan & Access Services. 
    • Following a break, the second breakout session will feature two options:
      • presentation by Kathy Killian on Statistics and Reports
      • discussion moderated by committee members on Normal Delivery Wear & Tear vs. Billable Damage. 
    • The committee discussed the addition of more bingo terms encouraging Forum attendees to interact with one another and explored some options for small prizes, since everyone who achieves bingo will receive a prize.  After prize distribution, the Fall Forum will formally conclude at 3.20 pm.
  • The committee decided that the annual project will consist of a review of Universal Borrowing Consortial policies. 
    • As part of the project, the committee will develop a survey asking what members think is functional about current UB policies and what they would change.
    • Pertinent survey questions will be devised by the committee and looked over by a CARLI staff member before the survey is released to members. 
    • The Resource Sharing Committee has often chosen to write a white paper for their annual project format, although the committee can select another format if desired.

Tasks assigned:

  • Kari will send out the September listserv question on best practices for patron records with regard to retention, deletion, suspension, etc. She will circulate a draft of the question to committee members for revision before posting it on RESSHARE-IG.
  • Debbie will double-check on the Abraham Lincoln Library rooms that will be used for the Fall Forum. She’ll also confirm the time allotment of 40 minutes with presenters and the selected topics for the discussion during the first breakout session with Moderator Brittany Poku. Furthermore, Debbie will send out a reminder to register for the Fall Forum.
  • Eric, Sarah, Marcella, and Debbie will put together the poster session for the ILA Annual Conference. Sarah plans to attend / host the poster session, and Eric will join her for the poster session if his schedule permits. The session will take place on Thursday, October 11, from 12:00 to 1:30 pm.
  • Belinda will use the same content produced for the ILA poster session at the CARLI Annual Conference.
  • All members of the committee will brainstorm discussion session questions on Patron Instruction & Promotion of Interlibrary Loan & Access Services to assist Brittany Poku.
  • All members of the committee will examine Voyager policies to decide which are covered under the Universal Borrowing consortial policies that will be reviewed as part of the Resource Sharing Committee Annual Project.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines:

  • Next Meeting: Wednesday, October 17, 10:00 – 11:30 AM via conference call
  • Schedule of Meetings: 3rd Wednesday of each month, 10:00 – 11:30 AM via conference call