Resource Sharing Committee Meeting: July 26, 2018

July 26, 2018, CARLI Offices

Members attending: Belinda Cheek (North Central College), Eric Edwards (Illinois State Library), Kari Garman (Bradley University), Rand Hartsell (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign), Thomas Mantzakides (Morton College), Sarah McHone-Chase (Northern Illinois University), Marcella Nowak (College of DuPage)

Members absent: Robin Hofstetter (University of Illinois at Chicago), Nathan Thebarge (Trinity International University)

Staff attending: Debbie Campbell, Lorna Engels, Anne Craig

The meeting began with a CARLI update shared by Anne Craig, who then answered a number of questions regarding CARLI activities. This was followed by our CARLI Liaisons, Debbie and Lorna, sharing with the committee information pertinent to our work that can be found on the CARLI website, procedures for planning events, etc. The committee members then participated in a discussion of a number of questions relating to resource sharing that will help ground our work in the coming year.


  • Minutes will be rotated among the committee members alphabetically (as listed in the member roster).
  • Pending confirmation from members not present at this meeting, our regular meeting time was set for the 3rd Wednesday of each month from 10:00-11:30. These will be held via conference call.
  • A Google folder will be used to communicate and share all documents related to the work of this group.
  • Monthly Resource Sharing questions for the email list will resume in late August.
    • Members should review and add to the list of potential topics available in the Google folder.
      • Our next question will be selected at the August 15 meeting.
  • The committee is working on plans for the Fall Forum which will be held at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library in Springfield on Thursday, October 25. The following details were discussed in preparation for this event:
    • Travis McDade (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) will be invited to give our keynote address based on his recent book.
    • The committee will prepare a presentation on proper packaging for ILDS delivery and handling of damaged items.
    • Other volunteers will be considered for breakout sessions in the afternoon. One more call for volunteers will be included in the CARLI newsletter.
    • A bingo game will be developed by committee members to encourage attendees to interact and network with colleagues during the day.
    • The tentative schedule for the day was set as:
      • 9:30-10:00am Registration
      • 10-10:15 Welcome
      • 10:15-11:15 Keynote - Travis McDade
      • 11:15-11:30 Break
      • 11:30-12:15- Packaging/Damage/Etc presentation/discussion
      • 12:15-1:00 - Lunch
      • 1:00-1:50 --first breakout
      • 1:50-2:00 break
      • 2:00-2:50 --second breakout
      • 2:50-3:00 -- BINGO PRIZE
  • The committee had a brief discussion of the Annual Project.
    • Members should be thinking of potential topics/ideas.
    • All are encouraged to read the CARLI Strategic Plan when it is released so that we can select a topic that is in line with that plan, as much as possible. We also want to remember Anne Craig’s suggestion to keep our project as “forward looking” as possible.
    • Ideas for the Annual Plan can be added to the Google folder at any time.
  • Eric inquired as to the possibility of preparing a poster session for ILA based on last year’s annual project.
    • Sarah plans to attend ILA and is willing to present the poster, if accepted.
    • Eric and Sarah will work together to submit a proposal to ILA.
  • The meeting was adjourned at 2:30 p.m..

Tasks assigned:

  • All members are encouraged to think about possible topics for our monthly email questions to the list as well as potential topics for our Annual Project.
  • Fall Forum:
    • Debbie and Lorna will continue to help us make arrangements for the Fall Forum.
    • Rand will continue to be in conversation with Travis McDade regarding the keynote address.
    • All members should be thinking about the morning session on packaging/damage as well as "squares" for the bingo game.
  • Eric and Sarah will work on the ILA proposal.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines:

  • Next Meeting: Wednesday, August 15, 10:00-11:30 a.m., via conference call
  • Schedule of Meetings:
  • 3rd Wednesday of each month, 10:00-11:30 a.m., via conference call