Resource Sharing Committee Meeting: November 20, 2015

Conference Call

Members attending: Bryan Clark, ICC; Susan Duncan, UIUC; Sandy Engram, ICO; Kelly Fisher, ERK; Amy LeFager, NLU; Sarah Mueth, UIS; Marcella Nowak, COD; Jeff Ridinger, ISU; Jennifer Stegen, Loyola
Staff attending: Debbie Campbell, Lorna Engels


  • Minutes of the 10/15/15 meeting were approved.
  • The meeting was adjourned at 3:32 pm.


  • CARLI Updates
    • Webinar for Reprints Desk on Dec. 8 at 1:00 p.m.
    • Request for Proposal for delivery service has been issued. New start date of July 1, 2016.
    • Great Lakes Resource Sharing Conference June 9-10 in Indianapolis is accepting proposals.
  • Webinar wrap up and discussion
    • General feeling is that it went well. Didn’t feel that there was too much new content for veteran Copyright users, but good information for newer library staff. There were 48 unique logins, plus multiple attendees for some logins.
  • Annual Project discussion
    • Discussed as Possible Topics:
      • Copyright issues for Resource Sharing- informational page?
        • How to explain copyright to our patrons? Ramifications of using ILLed items as required class reading. What is okay and not? What situations would require Copyright Clearance fees?
      • Open Educational Resources as alternatives to traditional textbooks. Carl Sandburg is front and center in discussing this. May have a grant for faculty who wish to move toward an OER.
      • Locating articles for patrons in e-only journals and non-print held journals. Do libraries know the licensing allowances for the CARLI subsidized e-resources in order to possibly increase e-lending via ILL? Is there a way we can help more libraries lend e-resources through providing education of their licenses?
      • How to cut costs or utilize/locate free sources in ILL? (Would include Open Access) Workflow suggestions? Utilizing Google Scholar Searching, - proposal to perform a literature review to test the waters… Rate on copyright infringement possibilities or red flag issues
    • Chosen Topic: Open Access and ILL project
      • Help locate Open Access materials
        • List of possible resources
        • Help judge for copyright infringement (red flags)
      • Help create workflows

Tasks assigned

  • Jeff will create a Google document to share for us to list a bibliography on Resource Sharing/ILL and Open Access issues/information.
  • Jeff will try to create an Annual Project Overview to send to group.
    • Help ILL staff utilize Open Access to better serve their ILL patrons (take advantage of free and copyright fees saved)
    • Evaluation of Open Access Sources

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

  • Next Meeting: Thursday, Dec. 17, 2015 by phone - Sarah Mueth will take minutes.
  • Schedule of Resource Sharing Committee Meetings:
    • Thursday, Jan. 21, 2016
    • Thursday, Feb. 18, 2016