Public Services Committee Meeting: February 16, 2022

Zoom / Conference Call

Members attending: Caitlin Archer-Helke (Saint Xavier University), Jessica Bastian (Illinois Central College), Krista Bowers Sharpe (Western Illinois University), Chad Kahl, co-chair (Illinois State University), Cynthia Kremer, co-chair (Joliet Junior College), Ashley McMullin (DePaul University), Arlie Sims (Columbia College Chicago), Lesley Wolfgang (Saint John's College of Nursing)

Member absent: Nestor Osorio (Northern Illinois University)

CARLI Staff attending: Elizabeth Clarage, Denise Green

Board Liaison: Spencer Brayton (Waubonsee Community College)


  • January Minutes were accepted.
  • Date for CDL program will be decided by or on March 16, day of next Committee meeting. Potential dates are April 22 and April 29.

Tasks Assigned

  • Minutes taken by Arlie Sims.
  • Chad and Cynthia will draft “Save the Date” message and share with committee.
  • CDL Interview subcommittee will complete interviews and select people to invite for program.
  • CDL Resource subcommittee will continue with research and identifying resources to share.


  • Member Announcements:
    • Chad Kahl, co-chair (Illinois State University) – Searches for tenure-track Teaching and Learning Librarian, Fine Arts Librarian, and Head of Technical Services are happening. The Library just announced open position for Associate Dean for Public Services and Learning Technology.
    • Cynthia Kremer, co-chair (Joliet Junior College) – JJC will have masks at least until February 27th. JCC has an adjunct position open in the library.
    • Caitlin Archer-Helke (Saint Xavier University) - Caitlin continues to serve as the Interim Director of the library; her appointment runs thru April 1, 2022, and there is no further info about what will happen after that date. Caitlin has started doing occasional programming with faculty, including an event on the book MAUS.
    • Krista Bowers Sharpe (Western Illinois University) - WIU is out of the "gateway" period of mostly remote learning & extra testing. Reference returned to in-person service at the desk on February 7. WIU's testing protocols for the unvaccinated and the mask mandate for indoor spaces will stay in place through the spring semester.
    • Jessica Bastian (Illinois Central College) – Recently hired a new librarian at East Peoria campus and another at Peoria campus. Will switch from LibraryH3lp to LibAnswers for virtual reference. They are also now using SpringShare for Rollover coverage. Other College departments partnered with Library to use LibAnswers.  Cross training will happen across areas for student support services for chat.  Areas will work together to build knowledge base.  College is re-designing its website.
    • Arlie Sims (Columbia College Chicago) – Library has finalized its Library 2025 plan, organized around a set of identified cultural values. The College Strategic Planning Task Force has adopted some of the language of Library 2025 in its own draft of its own plan. Two searches are active – Course Reserves and Circulation Specialist and Manuscripts Archivist.
  • CARLI Announcements:
    • A lot of programming happening. Take a look at CARLI calendar.
    • A session will happen this Friday on using Alma Analytics for IPEDs and ACRL reporting.
    • Professional Development Alliance has a lot of activity coming up.
    • Instruction Committee had a well-attended program on teaching controlled vocabulary and the pros/cons of doing so.  
    • CARLI Instruction Committee annual showcase with be Friday, May 20.
    • Preservation Committee and Collection Management Committees have expressed interest in a CDL project.
    • CARLI is in midst of getting commitments on FY23 Ebook Program
    • Two workshops coming up about “open pedagogy” in PDA but sponsored by CARLI.
    • The Commercial Products Committee is planning a forum on Accessibility in Libraries on April 6.


  • CDL Interview Subcommittee – Cynthia and Lesley have interviewed two of three who have agreed to be interviewed. Arlie and Ashley have also interviewed two of three.  Of the six people to be interviewed, four have not used CDL but have considered it. All interviewees so far agree that people are very interested in this topic and had thought a lot about it. The conversations we had during interviews stimulated new questions and ideas. Parameters came up as important and also guidelines to help people who want to start but are concerned about capacity and logistics. Storage, re-use, technology, staffing, and other “nitty gritty” issues are central.
  • Elizabeth forwarded an email from a member of the CARLI Preservation Committee from UIUC who shared the article they wrote about their CDL project during the early part of the pandemic. He said they missed the survey, but they might be able to contribute if the PSC wanted. Denise mentioned ideas of creating CDL services for “special needs” user groups and using an Alma module that can facilitate this. She can share details.
  • CDL Resource Guide Subcommittee – Searching various databases for relevant articles and reports. Quite a few resources on “how to” regarding logistics and advocating in support of CDL. Not a lot of material, but there is some there. May also be not called “CDL” or “Controlled Digital Lending” but may discuss what is essentially the same thing. A draft document with resources for controlled lending is in the Committee’s Box folder.
  • CDL program date April 22 or 29 – Those dates seem okay for CARLI programming. Might want to ask potential speakers about availability. Agreed on need to agree on a date and send “Save the Date” email by our next March meeting.  
  • Elizabeth notes that we probably want to be clear with invited speakers that it is an informal discussion’ not a detailed presentation on particular projects. Need to allow time for Q&A and follow up discussion.  
  • Will schedule for ninety minutes but will not necessarily need to use whole time. 10 minutes per panelist with up to four panelists. Seek variety of member institutions: Large/small and public/private.
  • Will need to draft “Save the Date” announcement for the program. Cynthia and Chad will work on that and send a draft to the committee.
  • The Discovery PE VE Task Force is working on document on a how to use out-of-the-box Primo Analytics Reports and will post to CARLI website soon.  

Next Meeting Dates and Deadlines

The next Public Services Committee meetings is March 16 at 12:30 p.m.

Committee Meetings:
April 20, 2022
May 18, 2022
June 15, 2022

Deadlines: Date will be finalized and letter draft will be completed by next meeting date, March 16.