Public Services Committee Meeting: April 26, 2021

Conference Call / Zoom

Members attending: Caitlin Archer-Helke (Saint Xavier University), Krista Bowers Sharpe (Western Illinois University), Aaron Harwig, co-chair (College of DuPage), Chad Kahl (Illinois State University), Cynthia Kremer (Joliet Junior College), Cory Stevens (Lake Forest College), Lesley Wolfgang (Saint John's College of Nursing)

Members absent: Jessica Bastian (Illinois Central College), Nestor Osorio, co-chair (Northern Illinois University)

CARLI Staff attending: Elizabeth Clarage, Denise Green

Board Liaisons: Spencer Brayton (Waubonsee Community College), Rob Morrison (National-Louis University)


  • We would like an assessment for the April 23 program, so Elizabeth will send that out.
  • We will all review the year’s Summary of Committee Activities and make suggestions.
  • We will not be doing an additional project during this school year.
  • We will move the June meeting earlier in the month.


  • Member Announcements:
    • Caitlyn Archer-Helke (Saint Xavier): Fall will be in person, but no plans for how; library’s main level mostly open including stacks; not requiring vaccines as of today.
    • Aaron Harwig (College of DuPage): COD is at 10% in person during summer; 30% in-person/hybrid for fall; library will be closed for summer; no library plan for fall yet; no vaccine requirement at this time.
    • Lesley Wolfgang (Saint John's College of Nursing): In-person classes are scheduled for summer and fall; large classes in auditorium for better distancing.
    • Krista Bowers Sharpe (WIU): Fall will be in-person; vaccine not required as of today; talks ongoing about library services and space for fall.
    • Cory Stevens (Lake Forest College): Campus will be fully in-person in fall for classes; not sure about library services.
    • Chad Kahl (ISU): Campus plans to be in-person in fall; library’s working groups have been brought back to discuss fall 2021 since there will be considerably more students on campus; search for university president is ongoing.
    • Cynthia Kremer (Joliet Junior College): No specific campus goal for percentage of classes to be held in-person in fall; campus offering free covid testing.
  • CARLI Announcements:
    • The call for CARLI committee volunteers deadline is this Wednesday 28th. PSC has six people rotating off and only three staying, so if someone leaving is willing to fill an additional but shorter term, let Denise or Elizabeth know.
    • Events:
      • May 21: Instruction Committee showcase
      • May 18: “Striving for Excellence, Achieving Perfection: What Went Wrong?”
      • CARLI OER Course will be reoffered in the summer.

Tasks Assigned

  • Minutes taken by Krista Bowers Sharpe.
  • Elizabeth will send out the assessment for “Oops! The Pandemic…”
  • Elizabeth will ask CARLI staff if the committee’s December and March Board reports should be attached to its Annual Report or referenced in another way.
  • All members to look at Summary of Committee Activities and make suggestions in Box by May 17.
  • Elizabeth will send out a poll to determine June meeting date.


  • Oops! The Pandemic Made Me Do It Again: Overall the program went well. There were 65 registered, and 52ish attended. Elizabeth Clarage put links to content on the CARLI Website. An evaluation will be forthcoming this week. Thanks to Aaron and Lesley for moderating.
  • PSC Summary of Committee Activities for 2020-21: Aaron added a skeletal document in Box that has highlights of what we did; Elizabeth C. will determine whether to include our earlier report as an addendum; we can add links for online content for both sessions plus the DOI for IRSQ article.
  • Possible Project for June: our previous ideas were:
    • Mining Getting Ready for Primo VE for inspiration
    • Creating User Guides for Primo VE update
    • Some committee members are around this summer and some not; we discussed doing a program but decided against; that will free time up for people to attend IACRL’s SPARK conference on Friday, June 11.
    • We also discussed promoting the Creating User Guides page in the May newsletter since libraries might work on guides during summer. Again, we decided that our committee efforts this year have been sufficient and stressors have been great so will not pursue this idea.
  • Move June 28 meeting earlier: Discussed moving June meeting earlier. Two members are absent, so Elizabeth will send out a poll to determine a date.    

Next Meeting Dates and Deadlines

Committee Meetings: May 24, 2021, 12:00-1:00 PM CDT

Deadlines: Look at Summary of Committee Activities and make suggestions in Box by end of day May 17, 2021.