Preservation Committee Meeting: June 8, 2020

Zoom/ Conference Call

Members attending:

  • Mary Burns, Northern Illinois University, co-chair
  • Rob DeLand, VanderCook College of Music
  • Nora Gabor, DePaul University
  • Tonia Grafakos, Northwestern University
  • Susan Howell, Southern University Carbondale
  • Becky Koch, Illinois State University
  • Ann Lindsey, University of Chicago, co-chair
  • Meghan Ryan, National Louis University
  • William Schlaack, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Staff attending:

  • Elizabeth Clarage
  • Nicole Swanson


  • Member Announcements
    • Tonia (Northwestern University)
      • Northwestern has instituted furloughs until mid-September as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak. While librarians with faculty status were not affected, other staff were strongly affected in the library. Depending on the re-opening plans and services being restored, some staff members may be able to come back before the mid-September date.
      • Northwestern will be trying a pilot reopening program this June which includes curbside pick-up in the entrance of the library and limited digitization.
      • Phase 1 of mold remediation is done at NU. The next stages will hope to be resumed when they can allow the contract workers back into the library.
      • Tonia also alerted the committee to the group REALM that will begin testing how long the virus can live on library material. She sent this through email as well.
    • Rob (VanderCook College of Music) He has been able to go into VanderCook College of Music’s library occasionally. Starting to look into returning materials from other institutions that have been loaned.
    • Ann (University of Chicago) Library is instituting a paging system where staff get books and patrons make appointments to pick up materials. The library will not be open to the public. Staff returns are in the planning stages.
    • Beck (Illinois State University) On Monday June 15, some staff will be starting to work back at the Illinois State University library. On June 17, they will be open to the public. All will be back to work in the library on July 1. Curbside pickup is available to those who are interested.
    • Will (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) Some staff like those responsible for digitization at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign may be able to start going in. Staff are having conversations about logistics for reopening like how PPE rules will be enforced once the library is open to patrons.
    • Susan (Southern Illinois University Carbondale) Pickup is available within the building but outside of the gates at the Southern Illinois University Carbondale Library and patrons have three days to pick up materials. The library is not open to the public at this time.
    • Meghan (National Louis University) Library will be reopening using a phased approach. Right now the building is only open to essential staff. May have to open the library a couple of days a week during fall for the Kendall Culinary School when they have labs, but otherwise most staff won’t return until winter 2021.
    • Nora (DePaul University) Library is currently working on their phased reopening plan. The library is closed to the public for summer quarter though some staff may be able to go in as needed.
  • CARLI Announcements:
    • Nicole
      • Staff may not return to the CARLI offices until August, some UIUC units may return earlier.
      • Still on track to go live with Alma/Primo VE on June 24. CARLI will start reviewing instances as they get loaded into Alma. Bibliographic and P2E data review will take place June 17-19. Fulfillment data review will take place June 22-23.
      • Nicole thanked committee members for their hard work this year since this is the last meeting of 2019-2020. She also thanked Ann and Mary for their exemplary service as co-chairs of the committee for the past two years.
    • Elizabeth
      • CARLI is currently working on how to better equip staff for working remotely in case there is a second wave in the COVID-19 outbreak.
      • In a response to a question about whether CARLI is documenting the response by consortia libraries to the pandemic, Elizabeth mentioned that there have been two virtual director meetings where library directors can meet and talk about whatever they want. Anne Craig has also sent a Google Form to library directors to share their reopening plans with other directors.
      • The Wiley Ebook project will go live on July 1st and anyone on their university’s VPN will have access to all ebooks published from 2017 to present day with monthly updates. All in the consortium will have access in perpetuity to titles purchased in July 2021. Data will be collected on what is used through June 30, 2021. CARLI will make purchases based on this data. Institutions will also be able to get data as well. It is possible to buy pre-2017 material under consortial terms.
      • We are currently waiting for signatures for the Oxford University Press eBooks.


  • Webliography
    • Sections:
      • Assessment Planning—Susan (completed)
      • Audio-visual Preservation—Mary (completed)
      • Book Repair and Conservation— Susan (completed)
      • Digital Preservation and Digitization for Preservation—William (completed)
      • Disaster Planning and Response—William (completed)
      • Exhibits—Becky (completed)
      • General Preservation and Conservation Resources Sites—Ann/Rob (Ann has begun.)
      • Glossaries—Nora (completed)
      • Grants and Development—Meghan
      • Legal Issues—Tonia (completed)
      • Library Binding—Rob (completed)
      • Mold, Pests, and the Environment—Becky
      • Protective Enclosures and Storage —Meghan
      • Special Collections and Archives—Mary (completed)
      • Social Media—Nicole (completed, after discussion)
      • Supply Vendors—Elizabeth (completed)
      • Training—Ann (completed)
  • Annual Project: Preservation Interviews
    • Mary sent Matt Short an initial set of questions which he has answered. Mary posted the questions to box and some additional questions were suggested. Mary has not received responses to the additional questions yet. The deadline for the article is June 15th.
  • Scheduling Next Meeting
    • The meeting could take place in July or August. It is unlikely that we will be able to have an in-person meeting.
    • Nicole and Elizabeth will find out more about whether or not the all committee meeting will be happening and then work to schedule this meeting.


  • Minutes of the May 11, 2020 meeting are approved with changes mentioned during meeting.
  • The committee decided that social media links that have not been updated in two years they should be removed.
  • Will and Meghan have agreed to be the co-chairs for the committee for 2020-2021.
  • The meeting was adjourned at 10:51 a.m..

Tasks Assigned

  • Nora took minutes.
  • Elizabeth and Nicole will find out more information about the all committee meeting and then work with committee members to schedule the first meeting of the new fiscal year.
  • Elizabeth and Nicole will invite Melina Avery at University of Chicago to join the committee.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

Next Meeting: TBD