Preservation Committee Meeting: October 21, 2019

Conference Call

Members Attending:

  • Mary Burns, Northern Illinois University, co-chair
  • Nora Gabor, DePaul University
  • Susan Howell, Sourthern Illinois University Carbondale
  • Becky Koch, Illinois State University
  • Ann Lindsey, University of Chicago, co-chair
  • Meghan Ryan, National Louis University

Members Absent:

  • Rob DeLand, VanderCook College of Music
  • Tonia Grafakos, Northwestern University
  • William Schlaack, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Staff Attending:

  • Elizabeth Clarage
  • Nicole Swanson


  • CARLI Announcements:
    • Elizabeth Clarage:
      • CARLI Counts, IMLS funded grant has been extended for another year, applications are due Dec 4th (
      • CARLI has access to Zoom to hold meetings, generally better usability and audio - decided we want to try this for next time
      • She will send out link to committee before next meeting.
    • Nicole Swanson:
      • New Staff members:
        • Emily Wros, part time grad assistant working with Almo/Primo upgrade
        • Nicole Ream-Sotomayor, Senior Coordinator for Electronic Resources
      • Checks on Primo VE being completed. More information will be shared soon.
      • Staff completing data checks on Alma, updates are expected this Wednesday.
      • Registration is open for fall in person Alma training.
        • October 31, Joliet Junior College
        • November 11, Wheaton College
        • December 19, UIC
        • Spring dates for Alma training upcoming
        • Ex Libris online training for CARLI members is upcoming.
      • CARLI members and staff attended the Great Lakes User Group Conference.
  • Member Announcements: None


  • Webliography
    • Will has completed his and gave some suggestions.
    • Becky had a question about what the topic “Exhibits” entailed. She will propose a clear description of topic next meeting.
  • Annual Project
    • Mary interviewed Ann for the month of October about Surveys and Assessments.
    • We have 3 open slots left.
      • We have two interviewees scheduled for November, propose to move one of those to January.
      • Ann will interview Lesa Dowd at the Newberry about Staff Training (February).
      • Nora will approach Jenny Dunbar from the College of DuPage to get her view of managing a community college archive (April or May).
      • Proposed article about Preservation Week to be published in March - looking for participant.
      • Megan has volunteered to do the Project Summary (June).
  • Summary page for CARLI Annual Meeting
    • Mary wrote up and submitted a project document.
    • We’re not doing an in person presentation because all the presentations are focusing on ALMA transitions.
    • Thank you, Mary!
  • Future Workshops, Webinars & Open Houses
    • Ann talked to the Chicago History Museum and the Newberry Library, both are willing to participate.
    • Institutions will need 8 weeks’ notice
    • Chicago History Museum is willing to participate but currently doesn’t have a conservator. Their talk will be about general conservation practices, storage, and how to maintain a collection while they’re low on staff.
    • Ideally, participants will park at the Chicago History Museum, take a bus to the Newberry, go for a tour and have lunch at the Newberry, then take a bus to the Chicago History museum and go for the second tour.  Ann will check with the Newberry to make sure they have space for lunch and are open for a morning tour.
    • Committee members Ann, Megan and Nora have volunteered to help participants navigate Chicago Public Transit
    • Dates:  March 27th or April 3rd (Fridays)
      • Second choice: another weekday within those dates
      • Third choice: date in late April
      • Ann will check with CHS and Newberry
  • Webinar
    • The committee tabled this topic until the next meeting to discuss with Tonia.


  • Becky Koch was confirmed to take minutes.
  • The committee will meet using Zoom next month.
  • The meeting adjourned at 11:03.

Tasks Assigned

  • Nora will approach Jenny Dunbar at DuPage about an interview.
  • Everyone will think about who could be interviewed about Preservation Week.
  • The committee decide what November topic will be moved to January.
  • Ann will propose tour dates to CHS and Newberry.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

Schedule of Preservation Committee Conference Calls:

  • November 11, 2019: 10:00-11:30
  • December 9, 2019: 10:00-11:30
  • January 13, 2020: 10:00-11:30
  • February 10, 2020: 10:00-11:30
  • March 9, 2020: 10:00-11:30
  • April 13, 2020: 10:00-11:30
  • May 11, 2020: 10:00-11:30
  • June 8, 2020: 10:00-11:30