Instruction Committee Meeting Minutes: February 6, 2019

Members attending:
Amy Hall (National-Louis University)
Tim Lockman (Kishwaukee College)
Marielle McNeal (North Park University)
Christina Norton (Heartland Community College)
Matthew Olsen (Millikin University)
Mackenzie Salisbury (School of the Art Institute of Chicago)

Members absent: Rebecca Yowler (Knox College), Annie Armstrong (University of Illinois at Chicago), Molly Mansfield (Dominican University)

Staff attending: Debbie Campbell, Lorna Engels


  • From CARLI: None at this time.
  • General: Reminder NCLA Virtual conf (some topics related to our committee)

Discussion and Decisions:

  • Spring Twitter Chat:
    • We voted YES in a poll. What topic(s) should we focus on?
    • Date: Friday, April 19 (tent.)
      • Topics: Participants last time didn’t have many ideas for topics; maybe needed more time to think about it. Maybe focus on practical application this time. As a takeaway, provide a list of resources and strategies from the conversation.
  • Webinar Presenters for Spring 2019 (Marielle) - CONFIRMED; over 40 registered for each so far
    • Annette Alvarado, Reference and Instruction Librarian/Liaison for Arrupe College, Loyola University H
      • Webinar Scheduled for Wednesday, February 13th, 1 - 2pm.
    • Alyssa Vincent, Michelle Oh, & Robin Harris, Librarians at Northeastern Illinois University
      • Webinar Scheduled for Tuesday, March 12th, 1 - 2 pm.
  • Instruction Showcase (Marielle)
    • Location: North Park University — Space for larger meetings, meals. Marielle is confirming food details.
    • Confirmed: Thursday, May 23 from 9:30 - 3pm
    • Instruction Showcase Programming
      • Facilitators/presenters for the “Inclusive lesson planning/classroom” workshop
      • MS has not heard back yet from others
        • Others? Tim is considering being a backup presenter or breakout presenter
      • Christina at Heartland will contact UDL fellows at her institution for possible presenters
    • Call for participants text - update
    • Ready to send? Debbie/CARLI will send save-the-date reminder; will send call for proposals, due April 1, and discuss proposals at our April 3 committee meeting. For the CFP, we may use language from our Google doc.
  • Podcast Recording Dates (Mackenzie)  - “IPA’s (Inclusive Pedagogical Activities)
    • 2/8 - Marielle + Mackenzie do a promo about this/the CARLI committee
    • 3/1 - Dio Aldridge, SAIC’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Dept.
    • 4/26 - Chris Davison + Lauren McKeen (Northwestern U)
    • Work with OER for under represented groups
    • Possibly Annette (Marielle will follow up)
    • Will find out about release dates for these podcasts

Tasks assigned:

  • Debbie/CARLI will send save-the-date reminder for the Instruction Showcase
  • Christina will contact possible UDL speakers at Heartland
  • Tim will serve as a backup presenter for the Showcase
  • Marielle will follow up with Annette

Meeting Dates and Deadlines:

  • Next Meeting: 3/6/2019 at 1:00 PM, online