Commercial Products Committee Meeting: November 10, 2022


Members Attending: Amy Fry (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign), Jessica Harris (University of Chicago), Michele Hunt (Northern Illinois University), Sarah Johnson (Eastern Illinois University), Thane Montaner (Prairie State College), Scott Thomson (Rush University), Amanda Wiesenhofer (Lincoln Land Community College)

CARLI Staff Attending:  Jenny Taylor, Nicole Ream-Sotomayor, Elizabeth Clarage, Denise Green, Marisa Tolbert

Members Absent: Marie Martino (Moraine Valley Community College), Mary Tatro (Augustana College)


CARLI Updates

  • The CY23 selection cycle will be closing tomorrow, 11/11. CARLI staff are sending out reminders to contacts as needed.
  • Jenny is preparing the e-resources brokering survey for distribution next week.
  • Elizabeth said that details on the CARLI FY24 ebook program will be shared very soon. Zoom information sessions will be offered, and more may be added. For this round, libraries will be using the selection system to indicate participation. This will be another member-funded Evidence-Based Acquisition (EBA) program.
  • Jenny announced that new member libraries are joining I-Share, including Prairie State and the City Colleges of Chicago. Details are being worked out to bring the new libraries on board.
  • Denise shared details on the CARLI Instruction Committee's 12/9 event (1:30-2:30 p.m.) on re-examining one-shot instruction.



There were no proposals under consideration this month.

Annual Project

  • Michele opened a discussion of the project for the year, a series of talks in spring 2023 on Open Access (potentially monthly, with a new topic to focus on each month).
  • The group brainstormed topics and the format for the talks. CPC members agreed it would be helpful to have informational content as well as time for open discussion and idea sharing. Suggested topics included: the benefits of OA, problems with OA, managing OA, an overview of the types/categories available, variety of OA agreements (read and publish, subscribe to open, etc.), and equity in OA publishing and related pricing issues.
  • CPC members agreed an hour was a good length for each talk. Denise said that for similar talks organized by other committees, a committee member started off the discussion and then opened it up to others. Sessions weren't recorded, to allow for more informal discussion, and a committee member wrote a summary for posting on the CARLI website. This seemed like a good model.
  • Jessica spoke above offering a survey about OA to see what other libraries are doing. CPC members agreed it would be helpful to offer a survey in advance to gauge interest on potential topics for the talks. Michele will draft a survey using Google Forms and send it out to CPC members for review before our next meeting. With Google Forms, the committee will be able to see the results as they come in.


  • Minutes from the October meeting were approved.
  • The meeting was adjourned at 11:33 a.m.

Tasks Assigned

  • Michele will draft survey in Google Forms to gauge interest in OA discussion topics

Meeting Dates

  • Next Meeting: Thursday, December 8, 2022, 11 a.m. via Zoom
  • Schedule of upcoming meetings:
    • Thursday, January 12
    • Thursday, February 9