Collection Management Committee Meeting: April 21, 2021

Zoom / Conference Call

Members present: David Bell, co-chair, (Eastern Illinois University), Dan Blewett, co-chair, (College of DuPage), Chad Buckley (Illinois State University), Keith Eiten (Wheaton College), Kelli Getz (DePaul University), Paolo Gujilde (Northwestern University), Lorene Kennard (University of St. Francis), Niamh McGuigan (Loyola University Chicago), Scott Thomson (Rush University)

CARLI Staff present: Elizabeth Clarage, Jennifer Masciadrelli, Nicole Ream-Sotomayor, Jennifer Taylor

Tasks Assigned

  • Keith Eiten will take minutes at the May meeting.
  • Jen sending out doodle poll for meeting re: weeding ebooks


  • January and March Meeting Minutes will be approved via email.
  • Committee decided to pause the Zoom collections chats for summer. When new committee members reconvene, they can decide future direction, host and topics.


  • CARLI update:
    • CARLI has sent out a call to serve on committees. Six people are rolling off the Collection Management Committee.
    • On April 20th, the Preservation Committee sponsored presentation that discusses all departments that touch accepting a collection. Elizabeth will share slides when available.
    • Elizabeth gave an update on the CARLI eBook Crowdfunding Project.
    • Selection system is open. Make your selections.
  • Member announcements:
    • Keith: Dealing with challenging times for library budgets has been made it much easier for Wheaton College’s library by our decision several years ago to designate all journals and databases/full text resources as core or non-core. Keith offered to discuss the process privately with anyone who is interested.
    • Lorene has started a podcast to showcase librarian leadership skills. The Librarian Linkover.


  • In person conferences
    • Nobody knows when in person meetings/events will take place. Probably not this year.
  • Zoom Collection Chats – Discussion about participation and direction going forward. Not as much participation as previous sessions.
  • Committee membership review. Key members are rolling off committee.
  • Subcommittees update:
    • Alma Analytics – Waiting to learn more as we were transition to ALMA.
    • Weeding Ebooks – Subcommittee will meet before next full committee meeting.

Next Meeting and Deadlines

Next meeting will be Wednesday, May 19 from 9:30 – 11:00am.

Future Meetings:

  • June 16, 2021