Collection Management Committee Meeting: January 10, 2019


Members attending: Dan Blewett, co-chair (College of DuPage), Chad Buckley (Illinois State University), Kelli Getz (DePaul University), Paolo Gujilde (National Louis University), Connie James-Jenkin (Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy), Kimberly Shotick (Illinois Institute of Technology)

Members absent: David Bell (Eastern Illinois University), Michelle Oh (Northeastern Illinois University), Gretchen Schneider, co-chair (Oakton Community College)

CARLI staff attending: Elizabeth Clarage, Jen Masciadrelli


  • Member announcements:
    • Chad: ISU has two open positions: Head of Cataloging & Acquisitions and Digitization Coordinator.
    • Dan: COD will have a practicum student from Dominican working for the semester. They are planning to move some smaller library collections to create additional space.
    • DePaul: They are currently interviewing to fill positions. Robert Karpinski has been named acting University Librarian.
    • National Louis: Kendall College Library has been moved to a temporary location until it can be integrated into National Louis’ collection.
  • CARLI Update:
    • Formal contract with ExLibris for the new system has been signed. Scheduling is not yet set.
    • New U of I purchasing group will now be working with CARLI including a consortial ebook contract.

Tasks Assigned

  • Connie James-Jenkin took minutes.
  • TBD will take minutes next meeting.
  • Committee will brainstorm via email topics for breakout sessions for the April 2nd Change Management Program.
  • Dan will draft a message to introduce the committee’s survey to the membership.


  • December minutes were tentatively approved those not in attendance having a chance to review.
  • The full committee will make the decision about which collections to add to the CARLI Open Access Collection.  The OA Subcommittee will bring recommendations to the committee.
  • Survey:
    • Committee decided on language for the first question of the textbook/educational materials survey.
    • Survey should be sent prior to ALA Midwinter and be open until the end of February.  A reminder message should be sent on February 14.
    • The committee recommended that the expectation is the survey should be completed one time per CARLI member.


  • Change Management Forum
    • 81 registrants as of today.
    • Planning subcommittee is meeting later today and may finalize details about breakout sessions including the timing and number. Some will be specifically about the Voyager to Alma migration. Others will be handling change, generally.
    • CMC can have up to two presentations. Dan will start an email thread on possible topics.
    • Registration will open tomorrow for libraries to send more than one staff person.
  • Current Project Updates
    • Open Access eBooks
      • One-third of I-Share libraries have opted in to have the OA collection appear in their local VuFind catalogs.
      • CMC decided that before adding OA collections, the OA Subcommittee will recommend to the full committee who will make the final decision about any additions to the consortial collection.
      • The subcommittee will discuss further the access features (ex. is text available as one download or only by chapter).
      • The first collection to be loaded will happen in early February.
    • Purchased eBooks Statistics
      • Elizabeth is working with the subcommittee on clarifying parameters.
    • Textbook Reserves
      • The survey has been revised and will be sent out in the very near future.
    • UB Statistics
      • Subcommittee is meeting tomorrow.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be a conference call on February 14, 2019 from 9:30 – 11:00 am.