Collection Management Committee Meeting: October 11, 2018

Conference Call / Adobe Connect

Members attending: David Bell (Eastern Illinois University), Dan Blewett, co-chair (College of DuPage), Chad Buckley (Illinois State University), Kelli Getz (DePaul University), Paolo Gujilde (National Louis University), Connie James-Jenkin (Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy), Michelle Oh (Northeastern Illinois University), Gretchen Schneider, co-chair (Oakton Community College), Kimberly Shotick (Illinois Institute of Technology)

Members absent: None

CARLI staff attending: Elizabeth Clarage, Jennifer Masciadrelli

Tasks Assigned

  • Chad Buckley took minutes.
  • Elizabeth and Jen will create a one-page summary of the 2017-2018 Annual Project for CARLI Annual Meeting for the committee to review.
  • The OA eBooks and Textbooks Reserves groups will meet.
  • The September minutes are being reviewed online and will be approved via email.  A couple things need to be clarified. After final clarification and edits, the minutes will be approved via email.


  • The agenda was reviewed and approved.
  • Michelle and Northeastern Illinois University were thanked for hosting our in-person meeting on September 19.


  • CARLI Update
    • The OER Task Force is holding an open conference call next Tuesday.
    • The Voyager skills webinars are coming up, with Jen presenting one of them.
    • Registration for the CARLI Annual Meeting is open.
    • The Resource Sharing Committee will be holding a forum at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum.
  • Member Library Announcements
    • Progress is being made on construction to the library plaza at Illinois State University.
    • College of DuPage is hosting an OER community college summit.  They also have a new Provost.
    • Things are going well with the new library dean at Eastern Illinois University.  The Flu Pandemic exhibition is ongoing.
    • Oakton Community College is developing a new collection development policy and has formed a new marketing committee.
    • DePaul University has a number of open positions (three librarians and three staff).
    • Illinois Institute of Technology has two openings which have not yet been posted.
    • Northeastern Illinois University’s archives will be receiving papers donated by local Congressman Luis Gutierrez.
    • National Louis University has collections being moved and meetings being set to coordinate this.  Also Kendall College’s collection has now been migrated to National Louis.


  • Current Projects
    • Education
      • The group started putting together a survey, but since it was short, they wondered about including curriculum materials as part of the textbook survey. This could depend on how long the textbook survey will be. Potential questions might include whether a library is currently collecting curriculum materials, if they are housed elsewhere in the university, what the budget is for this type of material and if there is a dedicated line, whether libraries are switching to OER, and reasons they may have ceased collecting these materials.
    • Open Access Ebooks
      • This group has not met yet. CARLI staff had a meeting about OA ebooks in which they discussed batch editing and the process to add these items in the catalog. Libraries will be asked to opt in or out of displaying these in their local catalog. Our working group could begin compiling a list of OA ebook collections.  A meeting will be set up via a poll.
    • Textbook Reserves
      • There was some additional discussion on the call about Eastern Illinois University’s textbook rental service.  Dan will send out a call for a meeting.
    • UB Stats
      • Jen will discuss this with Debbie from the Resource Sharing Committee.
    • Circulation of Ebooks Statistics
      • The first step is to get data from ProQuest.
  • Annual Meeting Report Presentation
    • Gretchen has created a rough draft of slides which she shared with the committee. Elizabeth and Jen will create a one-page summary of last year’s projects.
  • Change Management Forum
    • Jen talked with the Technical Services Committee. They are putting together a budget including a speaker fee. Planning for a date may center on spring break at University of Illinois Chicago. The forum will focus on change in general first then be more library-specific.
  • CARLI Scholarly Communications Page
    • Connie completed some editorial changes on this a couple weeks ago.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be a conference call on Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 9:30 a.m.