Collection Management Committee Meeting: August 29, 2016

Location: Columbia College Chicago

Members attending: Christophe Anderson, co-chair (Columbia College Chicago), Deb Blecic (University of Illinois at Chicago), Amelia Brunskill (DePaul University), Chris Diaz, co-chair (National-Louis University); Niamh McGuigan (Loyola University Chicago), Kimberly Shotick (Northeastern Illinois University)

By phone: Kristina Howard (Prairie State College), Connie James-Jenkin (Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy)

Members absent: Jeffry Archer (University of Chicago)

Staff attending: Anne Craig (by phone), Elizabeth Clarage, Jen Masciadrelli (by phone)


  • Anne Craig has been interviewing Board members to assess priorities given the ongoing lack of a state budget.
  • There will be an Annual Meeting at the iHotel. Committees should send Anne Craig a note by September 9 if they are interested in presenting their 2015-2016 Annual Project.
  • Loyola University Libraries expects a budget cut.
  • DePaul is evaluating their VHS collection and consolidating their microfilm collection. They are working on coordinating the collecting of eBooks.
  • UIC expects a budget cut. They are finishing up a summer project for single sequencing their collections.
  • Christophe Anderson announced that he accepted a position as Outreach Librarian at Northbrook Public Library and begins in October.


  • The most interest in collaborative collection development was in health sciences, business, education, literature, and a variety of one-time pledges.
  • There are no consortial funds for eBooks. Institutions interested in pursuing eBook or print PDA for collaborative collection development would have to supply the funds.
  • The consortium as a whole will move to the new ProQuest platform Ebook Central. The date / timeline has yet to be  determined.
  • The chair of the Technical Services Committee would like to do a spring forum in person and/or online with presentations and trainings (reporting, writing access queries, database maintenance best practices, etc.). Outcome: to develop resources for the CARLI website. The scope and format of the forum is still up the air.
    • Chris, Amelia, Connie, and Niamh will communicate with the Technical Services Committee about the potential for a collaborative project and/or presentation.


  • Minutes of the July 28, 2016 meeting were approved.
  • The Committee tabled electing a vice chair until May.
  • Given Christophe’s departure from the group, Kimberly volunteered to serve as co-chair.
  • Teams of two will coordinate collaborative collecting in these areas: Literature, Niamh; Health Sciences, Kristina and Deb; Education, Amelia and Chris; Business, Jeffry; one-time pledges, Deb and Kimberly.
  • The committee will keep the collaborative projects on the agenda so members can discuss updates.
  • Future meetings will take place in-person (when possible) with a phone option for members who are unable to attend.
  • The meeting was adjourned at 11:30 a.m.

Tasks Assigned

  • Minutes for the August 29 meeting to be recorded by Kimberly.
  • Chris will send Anne Craig a note that the committee is interested in presenting at CARLI Annual Meeting.
  • Chris will send the member contact information from the collaborative collection development project survey to committee members.
  • Kimberly, Chris, and Deb will work together on a presentation and/or handout for the CARLI Annual Meeting about the project.
  • Elizabeth will get a page on the CARLI website about the collaborative collecting project.
  • Kimberly and Jeffry will draft of the Scholarly Communication website changes for the next meeting.
  • Jen and Elizabeth will make the changes on the website that Kimberly identified as obsolete links.
  • Jen will set up a Doodle poll for 3 hours blocks Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays to schedule future meetings.
  • All committee members will contact the individuals who expressed interest in collaborative collection development and set a meeting, if possible.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

  • Next Meeting: TBD
  • By next meeting (TBD) members should communicate with their interested parties about the collaborative collection development project and, if possible, schedule a meeting for October to get the info in the September CARLI newsletter.