Created Content Committee Meeting: April 11, 2017


Members present: Ian Collins (University of Illinois at Chicago), Alice Creason (Lewis University), Margaret Heller, Chair (Loyola University Chicago), Rebecca Skirvin (North Central College), Adam Strohm (Illinois Institute of Technology)
Members absent: Ellen Corrigan (Eastern Illinois University), Sarah Prindle (Southern Illinois University Carbondale), Matt Short (Northern Illinois University)
CARLI staff present: Elizabeth Clarage, Amy Maroso


  • Alice Creason was confirmed to take minutes this month.
  • The minutes from the March 14, 2017 meeting were approved.

Ongoing Project Status Reports

  • Posting schedule changes:
    • Jen Wolfe has resigned from the committee. Due to the timing, the vacancy will be filled during the annual committee turnover in July. The committee will encourage someone from the Newberry Library to volunteer for the committee.
    • Alice and Margaret will post to the Digital Collections Tumblr for the weeks left open by Jen’s departure.
  • Tumblr:
    • The Tumblr has over 450 followers now. Matt will continue to pull stats for the Tumblr for the current period.
  • Digitized Book/Featured Image Posts:
    • No updates.

Proposal for New Media Facet Terms for CARLI Digital Collections

  • Amy received a request to add two additional media type facet terms for the CARLI DIgital Collections: “Images--Portraits” and “Text--Biographical sketches.”
  • The committee noted that “Images--Portraits” might be applied to at least two existing collections from other institutions. “Text--Biographical sketches” may be too narrow, so “Text--Biographies” was suggested as an alternative. An additional suggestion was made to consider “Audio--Oral histories.”
  • Because a number of members could not make the call this month, the committee will continue the discussion via email and revisit during the May conference call.

Shareable Metadata Annual Project

  • Case study drafts:
    • Alice addressed the comments and revisions suggested for her case study draft. Alice will revise and submit a final draft by the end of the week. The committee would like to publish the case study sometime next week.
    • Rebecca discussed issues downloading images and retaining metadata from Flickr. She will incorporate her findings in her case study.
  • Digitization Best Practices draft:
    • The committee was asked to consider whether the best practices documents should be combined into one document or kept separated by media type. Alice and Margaret both preferred keeping the documents separate for different workflows.
    • Margaret asked the committee to review the revisions to the draft that Amy sent in her email dated March 15 and respond to the committee via email with any final comments or changes.
  • Annual project report:
    • Margaret will start the draft for the committee’s final report on the shareable metadata project. The committee discussed some of the project deliverables, including the case studies, the revision of the best practices documents, and the review of the 2010 metadata webinar series.
    • Amy will have a draft of the committee’s annual report by the next meeting, as well.

Next Meeting

The next conference call is scheduled for Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 11:00 a.m.