I-Share Instruction Team Meeting: October 18, 2011

Members attending: Kirstin Duffin, Julie Murphy, Elizabeth Nicholson,  Ken Orenic, Marisa Walstrum, Chris Sweet, Ariel Neff, Merna Youngblood.

Excused members: Elizabeth Nicholson, Susan Avery

IUG Liaison: Nancy Laverdiere

CARLI staff attending: Lorna Engels


  • Minutes from the September 20th, 2011 meeting were approved.

CARLI report - Lorna Engels

  • The CARLI annual meeting time has been set.  It will be a webinar from 10-11:30 on Nov 9th.  The speaker is David Lankes from Syracuse, who has just written a book called The Atlas of New Librarianship.
  • The Electronic Services position should be filled before long.

IUG report

  • Team met September 23, 2011.  
  • The resource sharing team had a fall webinar on Oct 12th & 13th about how to navigate website, demonstration of shelflister, etc.  They reported ISU as exploring a self-service hold shelf, the team reviewed delivery policies & resource sharing codes
  • The Acquisition Serials team is going to be sending a survey out to determine the level of interest in tutorials on common acquisition functions.  They’re also trying to decide whether to have an open house meeting or a webinar, with PDA & ebooks as potential topics.
  • The cataloging & authority control team is planning a series of three webinars on introducing catalogers to I-share environment for Nov 14th, 15th & 16th.  They are planning with the Acquisition Serials team to have a spring forum.  
  • Nancy reported that we will be having no fall workshop, reported our work with wiki & our survey, the un-conference in January and Spring Forum plans.  
  • The OPAC Team is changing the new titles list format to match the format of Vufind, reviewing item type & other icons, and working on correcting a problem that appeared once they added a 2nd search box at bottom of other screen.
  • There will be a Midwinter informational webinar in January – no date confirmed.  
  • Another survey is going out to determine the best and worst times for institutions to have a voyager upgrade.  
  • There will be an Ebook summit on Oct 28th from the IUG Collection Working Group and E-Resource Working Group, working on developing an e-book RFP.  
  • ELUNA will be having a conference in Salt Lake City next May.  
  • IUG Meets again Nov 17th.

Old business


  • The survey questions were reviewed, and a few minor adjustments made.
  • The group decided to rename the wiki page “Instruction Materials” as “Instruction Team,” and add subpages for “materials” and the “un-conference.” We also decided to add an un-conference link to the main CARLI wiki page.  Lorna will investigate what’s needed to make changes to the main CARLI wiki page.
  • We decided to announce the Un-conference as soon as possible, which will necessitate creating and finalizing the Un-conference wiki page.  Ken will make the page.


  • We finalized the date and location: January 10th at Wesleyan, with January 13th as our “snow date.”
  • The group decided we want a conference name that will keep the topics broad and invite discussion: “Library Instruction Unconference – Your Voice is Needed.”
  • The group went through the announcement text in the Google Doc and made multiple edits.
  • We decided to include facilitators in each group.
  • We need to create a registration page.  Lorna will work on it.
  • We set a rough schedule: Arrive 9:00-9:30, 9:45-10:00, intro & logistics, 10:00-12:00 session, 12:00-1:00 lunch, 1:00-2:00 session.  Debrief 2:00-3:30.  
  • We decided to aim for sending out the save the date announcement on next Tuesday, Oct 25th.
  • In order to promote social media usage we will create hashtags and encourage people to blog and tweet.
  • The group decided against posting a list of attendees.

Spring Forum

  • The group decided to further mull over at Dr. Sharon Chubbuck’s proposal.  
  • We decided to start a document for Spring Forum planning.  Ken will create it.
  • Lorna will get us a list of things we need to fill out for the planning committee.

New business

No new business to report.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:20 a.m.

Next meeting:  November 15, 2011, 10:00 am – 11:30 am.

Respectfully submitted,
Julie Murphy
Illinois State University