Technical Services Committee Meeting June 28, 2017

Conference call

Members attending:  
Melissa Burel (Southern Illinois University Edwardsville); Jessica Grzegorski (Newberry Library); Ann Heinrichs (Catholic Theological Union); Mary Konkel (co-chair; College of DuPage); Joelen Pastva (co-chair; Northwestern University); Nicole Ream-Sotomayor (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign); Cynthia Romanowski (Governors State University) 

Members absent: 
Keith Eiten (Wheaton College); Sandy Roe (Illinois State University)

CARLI staff attending: 
Jen Masciadrelli; Nicole Swanson; Ted Schwitzner


  • Committee Announcements:
    • Melissa will be relocating to Alabama; Mary will remain on the committee to fill Melissa’s final year
    • Members reported on activities at ALA, which included sessions on Linked Data, FAST, maker spaces, and the changing nature of paraprofessionals in Tech Services
    • Cynthia has been selected to attend the ALA Leadership Institute in August
  • CARLI reports:
    • The CARLI Preservation Committee is hosting a workshop on July 11, 8:30-3:30 pm at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library entitled “Salvaging mold and water damaged library materials”
    • VuFind 3
      • CARLI announced that VuFind 3 was available for testing on June 1, and comments should be sent to CARLI is specifically interested in feedback on functional aspects of the system. 
      • VuFind 3 has been updated with improvements to data validation, causing more validation errors in records being loaded to the union catalog. Rejected records are loaded into library’s CARLI FTP directories, where they are saved for 60 days. Nicole sent an e-mail to CARLI I-Share Liaisons, Technical Services contacts, and Cataloging contacts on June 12 with more information
      • Nicole is investigating 2 new facets for VuFind 3: data sets, CD-ROM
    • Jen is planning to conduct Voyager Acquisitions training at the end of August
    • 4 new libraries will join I-Share in 2018: McHenry County Library, the Spertus Institute, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library, and Moody Bible Institute. CARLI is currently working with ExLibris to plan migrations, and the new libraries will hopefully be live during the first half of 2018. This will bring I-Share up to 90 member libraries.


  • The finalized versions of the CatER Documents Report and mini reports can be found on CARLI’s website:  
  • The final, published site of the committee’s annual project is on CARLI’s website:
    • The committee decided to insert a request for feedback in the introduction, referring site users to send comments to CARLI support, which will then be shared with the committee
  • CARLI 2017 Committee Reports and Projects are now available (TSC section, p.69):
  • Cynthia Romanowski volunteered to chair the committee next year; if anyone is interested in helping as a co-chair, that is still possible
  • Future meetings:
    • July meeting will be in-person on July 26, and Jen will send out a Google poll to get preferences for location. In person meetings include call-in options for members not able to make the meeting
    • August meeting will be August 30, 10-11:30 am
    • Ideas for future project document is in Box
  • Ted Schwitzner at CARLI is planning to do a major revision/rebuild of CARLI’s “Using OCLC for batch loading” document, which is now out of date since OCLC’s discontinuation of its batch loading service. Ted plans to rebuild the document as a series of web pages on CARLI’s site, breaking out specific tasks for a more modular approach, and presenting information on methods for batch loading records from various sources into Voyager 
    • The committee suggested referring to existing OCLC documentation when referring to processes that are not specific to Voyager/I-Share libraries
    • The committee will be available to provide feedback on drafts, usability of the site, etc.
  • Removing ISBD punctuation from MARC records – Ann was at a conference where this was discussed, and the target date is January 1, 2018; however, there was a general feeling was that this was too early for implementation.
    • The committee decided that this is something to keep an eye on, but that we really shouldn’t do testing or anything until LC/PCC makes their final recommendation.


  • Minutes of the May 24, 2017, meeting were approved.
  • Cynthia Romanowski will chair the committee next year (there is still an opening for a co-chair if anyone would like to volunteer)
  • July meeting will be July 26; Mary has volunteered to take minutes
  • August meeting will be August 30, 10-11:30 am
  • The meeting was adjourned at 10:31 am.

Tasks assigned:

  • Jen will write up some language to include a link to CARLI support in the annual project introduction. She will share with the group before publishing
  • Jen will set up Google poll for location of in-person meeting: GSU or CARLI offices
  • Jen will add new members to Box shared folder

Meeting dates and deadlines:

  • Next meeting: Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 9 am – 3 pm, location TBD
  • Schedule of Technical Services Committee meetings (via conference call): August 30, 2017: 10-11:30 am

Respectfully submitted,
Nicole Ream-Sotomayor