Technical Services Committee Meeting: May 2, 2018

Conference call

Members attending:
Jessica Grzegorski (Newberry Library); Mary S. Konkel (College of DuPage); Gayle Porter (Chicago State University); Nicole Ream-Sotomayor (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign); Adrienne Radzvickas (Lincoln College); Cynthia Romanowski (Chair, Governors State University)

Members absent:
Joelen Pastva (Northwestern University)
Sandy Roe (Illinois State University)

CARLI staff attending: 
Jen Masciadrelli
Nicole Swanson


  • Committee member announcements:
    • GSU is continuing efforts to fill open positions in Technical Services, ILL, and digital archives/metadata
    • GSU recently hosted the CARLI Open Textbook Network Train-the-Trainers Workshop on April 23rd.
  • CARLI reports:
    • The CARLI RDA Resources page has been updated under the section Cataloging Special Formats to include recent OLAC Best Practices documents. Jessica Grzegorski and Nicole Swanson updated our Calendar of Upcoming RDA Trainings.
    • On May 4, The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and CARLI hosted   the Association of College and Research Libraries Scholarly Communications Roadshow at the I-Hotel in Champaign.
    • On May 22-23, Nicole Swanson and Ted Schwitzner will be holding Voyager Cataloging Training at the CARLI Office.
    • On June 13, the CARLI Preservation Committee is sponsoring a Burn Simulation and Recovery Workshop on Wednesday at the Illinois Fire Service Institute in Champaign.  
    • For continuing members of the TSC, consider a volunteer opportunity to serve as Chair or Co-Chair. We will discuss at our June meeting.


  • Annual report:
    • To capture our Fall/Winter discussions prior to our annual project focus change, an additional bullet point was added to include potential webinar topics.
  • Annual project:
    • The spreadsheet format for reporting VuFind recommendations worked well.
    • The group discussed and recommended collapsing/combining several of the VuFind 5XX recommendations, except for those which we wanted to have  specific labels rather than just the label “note.” These will be maintained as separate recommendations. It will also be mentioned in these 5XX recommendations, which ones we want displayed in both the local and union catalog and those just displayed in local catalogs, for example the 590 field.
    • Mary created a format chart which more fully explained and mapped the FORMAT recommendations for format + electronic-- the recommendation “to combine the format icon display name when “electronic” is triggered with a second format. The group thought that this chart would be best presented with the spreadsheet as an appendix for our Annual Project submission.
    • The recommendation to "Determine how relevance is determined (GitHub57)" should present some examples and indicate if relevancy was working in previous iterations of VuFind.
    • After careful review and discussion of each recommendation, along with group editing in Box, the list of recommendations was ranked by committee members from 1 (highest) to 3 (lesser) priority, with committee members “championing” and further explaining their rankings. 


  • Minutes of the April 4, 2018, meeting were approved. 
  • The meeting was adjourned at 11:36 a.m.

Tasks assigned:

  • Cynthia will complete final draft of Technical Services Annual Report with committee members’ final input due by May 18th and subsequent submission to CARLI by May 31.
  • Cynthia will complete final draft of Technical Services Project, including reordering spreadsheet/combining recommendations, and including the format recommendation appendix with committee members’ final input due by May 18 with subsequent submission to CARLI by May 31st.

Meeting dates and deadlines:

  • Next meeting: Wednesday, June 6, 2018, 10:00 – 11:30 a.m., via conference call.
  • Sandy Roe is scheduled for secretary for this meeting.
  • Annual project and report due - May 31, 2018

Respectfully submitted,
Mary S. Konkel