Technical Services Committee Meeting: April 4, 2018

Conference Call

Members attending: Jessica Grzegorski (Newberry Library); Mary Konkel (College of DuPage); Joelen Pastva (Northwestern University); Gayle Porter (Chicago State University); Nicole Ream-Sotomayor (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign); Adrienne Radzvickas (Lincoln College); Cynthia Romanowski (chair; Governors State University); Chris Schmit (National-Louis University)

Members absent: Sandy Roe (Illinois State University)

CARLI staff attending: Jen Masciadrelli; Nicole Swanson


  • Committee member announcements:
    • Mary was elected to the OCLC Global Council ARC (Americas Regional Council) executive board for a three-year term, starting July 1.
    • Chris accepted a position with Arity and will be leaving NLU at the end of April. Good luck Chris!
    • GSU is restarting their cataloger search for their position in Technical Services. They are currently interviewing for positions in ILL and digital archives/metadata.
  • CARLI reports:
    • Now is the time to recruit colleagues to volunteer to serve on CARLI committees – TSC will have four openings.
    • Last year’s applicants need to reapply for consideration this year.
    • The deadline was extended for the Library Application Support Consultant position at CARLI.
    • I-Share's newest member libraries are being added to the universal catalog, which should be completed by next week, after which they will be fully integrated as members of the consortium. An email announcement is planned with updated universal catalog stats.


  • Annual project:
    • The spreadsheet format for reporting VuFind recommendations still works well.
    • When making requests related to display, members should indicate whether data should be displayed in search results, the brief record, or the description tab.
    • Generally recommendations should include as much detail as possible, as the programmer working on the project is not a cataloger.
    • The existing list of known issues should help with ranking recommendations.
    • Members should look at holdings records as an area for potential improvements, as not much has changed out of the box.
    • The group discussed issues with a title not displaying in the universal catalog. The holdings for a microform title (Behavioral and brain sciences) were displayed with print holdings and associated with a print bib record.
      • Could not limit by format, and “microform” didn’t display as format type in results.
      • Jen will discuss with Jessica.
    • The group should finish adding recommendations in the next few weeks, and vote on top choices by placing their initials in the Committee Votes column before May 2 meeting.
    • Recommendations will be ranked on a scale of 1-3 after voting results are in.
    • Cynthia will start a draft introduction for the recommendations document.


  • Minutes of the March 7, 2018, meeting were approved.
  • The meeting was adjourned at 11:09 a.m.

Tasks assigned

  • Jen – condense meeting minutes and circulate to committee members before posting online
  • Jen – follow up with Jessica Gibson about merged multi-format records in VuFind
  • Cynthia – start draft introduction for VuFind recommendations document
  • All – investigate holdings displays for possible additions to VuFind recommendations
  • All – finish adding recommendations and vote on top choices

Meeting dates and deadlines:

  • Next meeting: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 10:00 – 11:30 a.m., via conference call
  • Schedule of upcoming Technical Services Committee meetings (all via conference call):
    • Wednesday, June 6, 2018, 10:00 – 11:30 a.m.
  • Deadlines:
    • Annual project and report – May 31, 2018 

Respectfully submitted,

Joelen Pastva