Technical Services Committee Meeting: January 13, 2015


Conference Call

Members attending: Elizabeth Cribbs (Northern Illinois University, co-chair), Keith Eiten (Wheaton College), Lynn Fields (Southern Illinois University Edwardsville), Ann Heinrichs (Catholic Theological Union), Mary Konkel (College of DuPage), Kavita Mundle (University of Illinois at Chicago), Lauren Noel (Columbia College, co-chair), Tonya Webb (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)

Members absent: Dallas Long (Illinois State University), Deborah Morris (Roosevelt University), Mary Tatro (Augustana College)

Staff attending: Jennifer Masciadrelli, Nicole Swanson, Ted Schwitzner


  • Minutes of the December 9, 2014 meeting, as amended January 12, were approved.
  • The committee approved a new recurring date for TSC meetings—the second Friday of every month.


  • MARCedit training webinars: Jen reported that Terry Reese will present webinars about using MARCedit in the I-Share environment, tentatively between March and May 2015. All sessions will be recorded and available afterwards.
  • RDA training events: Nicole reported that 19 new events have been added to the CARLI calendar for the spring. Please let her or Mary Tatro know of any others
  • CARLI Ebook DDA pilot project: Ted’s report: The project ended last week, with CARLI having purchased 3,858 titles. In the I-Share catalog, there is a facet in VuFind for CARLI eBooks in the right-hand column. Ted will prepare instructions on how to access the CARLI eBooks via Collection Manager. Mary Konkel, who is using OCLC’s Collection Manager Knowledge Base, may be able to assist with these instructions.
  • Ted’s Tag Table Training Video: It is up and running at Ted plans to make a second tag-table video providing more granular information.
  • Spring Forum: It will take place Friday, April 17, 2015 at University of Illinois-Chicago. (See Appendix to these minutes for topics and schedule.) Further discussion below.
  • TSC subgoup’s revision of “Standards for Bibliographic Records in I-Share” and “Cooperative Cataloging Guidelines for I-Share Databases”: The User Services Group is now reviewing the revised documents before submission to the board.
  • Annual Project: The Annual Project subgroup will meet by conference call on Tuesday, January 20, at 11:00 a.m.
  • Collaboration with Public Services about Communicating RDA to Non-Technical Services staff: Elizabeth met with the Public Services Committee on December 10. They are splitting the RDA training webinars into three presentations:
    • Elizabeth is giving the 1st presentation, covering basic RDA background.
    • The 2nd presentation, by Lynn Fields, covers new and changed MARC fields under RDA.
    • The 3rd presentation takes a two-pronged approach: (1) how RDA affects indexing and display (Paige Weston from the CARLI office will present this); and (2) how RDA affects authorities.

Keith pointed out the need for broader implementation of RDA and for lobbying vendors for better RDA compliance. Lynn pointed out that these webinars are for public service personnel and thus should not be too technical. Keith believed that technical issues should at least be mentioned. Elizabeth said she will be making some mention of linked data in her presentation.


  • Regarding possible speakers at the Spring Forum:
    • Someone from the Annual Project subgroup will present the 10:15 session, which is an introduction to Shelf Ready. (See Appendix to these minutes for topics and schedule.)
    • Librarians with hands-on experience with SR should present the 11:15 (SR Best Practices) and 1:00 (SR Pros and Cons) sessions.
    • Tonya and Kavita will ask SR-proficient colleagues if they are interested in being panelists or presenters.
    • Deb Morris would be a good participant in the Pros/Cons session, as she has expressed frustration with SR with respect to music cataloging.
    • Jen will put out a call for panelists/presenters on Best Practices and Pros/Cons.
    • Breakout speakers will be decided after speakers are chosen for the two larger sessions.


The meeting was adjourned at 11:26 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Ann Heinrichs

Meeting Dates and Deadlines:

  • Next Meeting: Friday, February 13, 2015, 10:00-11:30
  • Schedule of subsequent Technical Services Committee Meetings:
    • Friday, March 13, 2015, 10:00-11:30
    • Friday, April 10, 2015, 10:00-11:30
    • Friday, May 8, 2015, 10:00-11:30
    • Friday, June 12, 2015, 10:00-11:30



Spring Forum Agenda

April 17, 2015

University of Illinois—Chicago


09:30am - 10:00am


10:00am - 10:15am


10:15am - 11:00am

Shelf Ready:  What it is and why libraries may want to consider it

11:15am - 12:00pm

Shelf Ready Best Practices – Panel discussion

12:00pm - 01:00pm

Lunch (provided by CARLI)

01:00pm - 01:45pm

The Pros and Cons of Shelf Ready

02:00pm - 02:25pm


  • Shelf Ready implementation/ local practices in the Consortial Environment
  • Comparison of vendors

02:35pm - 03:00pm

Breakouts repeated