Technical Services Committee Meeting: May 15, 2014

Conference Call

Members attending:  Elizabeth Cribbs (Northern Illinois University), Jim Edstrom (William Rainey Harper College, co-chair), Lynn Fields (Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, co-chair), Deborah Morris (Rooselevelt University), Kavita Mundle (University of Illinois at Chicago), Lauren Noel (Columbia College), Tonya Webb (University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign), and John Whisler (Eastern Illinois University).

Members absent:   Dallas Long (Illinois State University), Mary Tatro (Augustana College).

Staff attending:  Jen Masciadrelli, Ted Schwitzner and Nicole Swanson.


  • March 12thminutes approved.


  • The most recent events/updates for the RDA Training Calendar have already passed
  • I-Share Next application deadline is Friday, May 23rd.
  • CARLI has funds available to spend prior to June 30th, the end of our current fiscal year.  Each Governing member will get to choose from two options. Both will be fully paid for by CARLI:
    • Option 1: A 12-month subscription (July 1, 2014–June 30, 2015) to CINAHL Complete, a database with 1460 full text journals in nursing and allied health 
    • Option 2: A choice of up to 3 Alexander Street Streaming Video Collections


Old Business:

  • Ted reported that there have been a number of questions about additional MARC Edit training and that there is a great deal of interest in this topic.  It was noted that it’s been awhile since any formal training has been offered and this would be a welcome addition.
  • Ted also mentioned sending out cataloging maintenance reminders and reports and asked what frequency to send these types of messages.  It was agreed that this would be a good way to emphasize existing procedures and reinforce maintenance priorities.
  • IACRL PreConference: both Jim and Lynn mentioned that there had been both a positive response and good questions asked at the conference.  Jen will send the assessment survey responses to the Committee.
  • Spring forum: also a very positive response with a number of Public Services people in attendance.  While there were a number of comments about the “Beyond Marc” portion of the forum being too abstract, the Committee discussed the need for balancing practical information with more general educational goals.
  • Because there was much interest in Elizabeth’s session on communicating RDA to non-technical services staff, it was suggested that Elizabeth lead a future webinar on this topic.
  • Lynn gave a brief outline of the upcoming DDA forum.  Todd Spires will talk about what Bradley University has been doing with their own DDA program and Lynn will go over the white paper that the Committee has created.
  • White Paper update: the Committee went over comments and questions and discussed editing.  Jen will re-work agreed-upon sections of the draft and compile the final corrections.  Elizabeth will then review this draft and submit the final document by next Friday, April 23rd.  Thanks to everyone for all the helpful comments, suggestions and corrections!

New Business:

  • Possible document updates:  Nicole noted that some documents are out of date:
    • Practicing Safe Cataloging for the UC It was agreed that adding the MFHD public notes option would be a simple change to make. 
    • Standards for Bibliographic Records in I-Share  At present this document does not include RDA at all.  There were questions about including links to national standards instead of providing local documentation. It was decided that this topic needs further consideration and will be tabled until next year.
  • Lynn and Jim will have a draft of the TS Committee’s annual report by Friday and this will be approved by email.
  • It was noted that this is Jim and John’s last year on the Committee and that there is currently a call for volunteers state-wide. 
  • Elizabeth and Lauren will serve as co-chairs for next year.
  • Our next Conference Call will be June 19th at 1:30pm.


Respectfully Submitted,

Lauren Noel