Technical Services Committee Meeting: October 26, 2016

Conference Call

Members attending:  

Melissa Burel (Southern Illinois University Edwardsville); Keith Eiten (Wheaton College); Jessica Grzegorski (Newberry Library); Mary Konkel (co-chair; College of DuPage); Nicole Ream-Sotomayor (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign); Cynthia Romanowski (Governors State University)

Members absent: 

Ann Heinrichs (Catholic Theological Union); Joelen Pastva (co-chair; Northwestern University); Sandy Roe (Illinois State University)

CARLI staff attending: 

Jen Masciadrelli; Nicole Swanson


CARLI reports:

  • Nicole Swanson reported on CARLI’s Collection Manager data-sync migration. All LHR project files at member institutions were migrated last Friday (10/21/16). Daily and weekly backloading data sync collection files have been sent, and almost all are functional. Monthly backloading data sync collection files will be sent November 3.
  • Jen Masciadrelli submitted a draft summary (via email and on Box) of last year’s TSC annual project on MarcEdit, which will be included in a packet for those attending the CARLI Annual Meeting on November 18. She asked the committee to review the summary and provide feedback by Friday, October 28.


  • CatER subcommittee report (Mary Konkel): The subcommittee reviewed its consolidated draft of the report. Members have nearly completed updating URLs and glossary terms. They hope to schedule another meeting before Thanksgiving to complete the report and expect to submit it to the full TSC for approval within the next two months.
  • TSC Box space: Members have not encountered any issues with Box. Mary Konkel suggested setting Box to sync with email if members encounter any slowdown or access issues related to Internet security settings at their respective institutions.
  • Spring Forum: 
    • Mary Konkel reported on a joint TSC and Collection Management Committee forum planning meeting held on October 11. The joint subcommittee brainstormed 4 possible sessions: panel discussion with libraries that have been through a full assessment cycle which included staff from several areas in the library; using reports/stats beyond Voyager (e.g. Tableau); highlighting existing CARLI resources for Access and other database maintenance training; and a step-by-step session on Access reports that could highlight the annual project. Members supported all four topics.
    • Jen Masciadrelli noted that a session touching on the CARLI Access web reports could be useful for non-technical people.
    • TSC members favored a panel discussion on assessment over a keynote speaker; this panel is a good candidate for a CARLI call for presenters.
    • A session highlighting existing CARLI resources would ideally be presented by CARLI staff.
    • A step-by-step session on Access reports could highlight the annual project.
    • Possible free venues: Members agreed that a northern Illinois location is better because recent CARLI events have been held in central Illinois. Governors State University and Loyola University are being considered. Cynthia Romanowski will be in contact with GSU as a possible venue; Niamh McGuigan from the Collection Management Committee is checking on Loyola.
    • Since the forum may be of broad interest, members felt that breakout sessions may not be necessary or that they should be limited.
  • Annual project:
    • Members expressed approval for the outline compiled by Joelen Pastva, including the working title.
    • Members agreed that the project should be a basic, “top-level” introduction that should link out to relevant tools and resources that already exist, whether they are CARLI tools or external.
    • Because the project would include many external links, Jen Masciadrelli suggested a CARLI web page as the most appropriate format for the project.
    • Members discussed the pros and cons of using video or screen shots in the project. Most members favored screen shots.
    • Members discussed creating a subcommittee for the project. Since the committee is relatively small, members favored divvying up tasks rather than creating a subcommittee.


  • Minutes of the September 28, 2016, meeting were approved.
  • The committee approved four session ideas for the Spring Forum.
  • The committee chose late April/early May as the best time for the Spring Forum.
  • The committee approved the current working title in Box for the annual project: “Getting started with Database Maintenance: using Access reports and other tools to analyze and maintain your library database.”
  • Co-chairs will divide work for the annual project among members based on their interests.
  • The meeting was adjourned at 10:34 am.

Tasks assigned:

  • All members: Read Jen Masciadrelli’s summary of last year’s project and provide feedback and/or approval by Friday, October 28.
  • All members: Edit or add comments and ideas to the annual project working document in Box before the next meeting. Select a portion of the project that you have an interest in working on.
  • Cynthia Romanowski will provide a revised estimate of 150-200 attendees to Governors State to make sure that GSU would still be a possible venue for Spring Forum.
  • Mary Konkel will provide feedback from TSC regarding Spring Forum to Collection Management Committee.

Meeting dates and deadlines:

  • Next meeting: Wednesday, November 30, 9:00-10:30 am, via conference call
  • Schedule of Technical Services Committee meetings (all via conference call):
    • Wednesday, November 30, 2016, 9:00–10:30 am
    • Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 1:00 pm–2:30 pm
    • Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 9:00-10:30 am
    • Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 9:00-10:30 am
    • Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 9:00-10:30 am
    • Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 9:00-10:30 am
    • Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 9:00-10:30 am
    • Wednesday, June 28, 2017, 9:00-10:30 am

Respectfully submitted,
Jessica Grzegorski