Resource Sharing Committee Meeting: March 19, 2015

Conference Call

Members attending: ‘Kathleen Bloomberg (Illinois State Library), ‘Susan Duncan (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign), ‘Sandy Engram (Illinois College of Optometry), ‘Sandra Harris (Olivet Nazarene University), ‘Amy LeFager (National-Louis University), ‘Jeff Ridinger (Illinois State University)
Members absent: Bryan Clark (Illinois Central College), Jennifer Funk (McKendree University), Marcella Nowak (College of DuPage)
Staff attending: Debbie Campbell
Staff absent: Lorna Engels


  • Minutes of the February 19, 2015 meeting were approved.
  • The April discussion topic for ResShare-ig will be mediated vs unmediated requesting.
  • Review of current Best Practices document:  
    • Mediated and unmediated ILL was discussed.  We are lacking information about Unmediated requesting, specifically the reasoning behind libraries’ decision not to mediate.  We will try to gather more information via April’s discussion topic for the ResShare-ig listserv.
    • Different libraries have very different methods of ensuring the status of items sent on ILL is reflected in Voyager.  Assignments have been made for outlining these methods.
    • We will try to schedule a conference call between the meetings today and April 16th in order to move forward on the Sample Workflows section of the document. 
    • Our final report is due May 29th.


  • CARLI Updates - the timeline for I-Share NEXT implementation has been pushed out to Fall 2017-Summer 2018.
  • ILL ILLINET code revisions have been approved and will be effective on or around April 1, 2015.
  • Open Houses
    • Registration so far – UIS/IS 19, ONU 11, LF/TI 12.  Attendance is capped at 25 per open house, this is the second year this committee has sponsored open houses.
  • Copyright Webinar
    • Janet Brenan-Croft hasn’t responded to our email.  We would like to host the webinar in October 2015.

Tasks assigned:

  • Deb will check on the status of Open House lunches.
  • Deb will give Janet Brenan-Croft another week to respond and then try contacting her again.  She will email the committee with the result.
  • OCLC document (Best Practices, Recommended Procedures, or Suggested Workflows?) editing assignments for between-meeting conference call:
    • Creating a generic local “Interlibrary Loan” patron account; charging OCLC-lent items to that account. Amy
    • Creating a local patron record for each Requesting Library; charging OCLC-lent items to that account. Susie
    • Create generic ILL-patron record for each month (January-ILL, February-ILL, etc. Sandra
    • Creating local patron records for each out of state or I-Share library, using the CARLI created ILLINET ID for ILLINET libraries; charging OCLC-lent items to that account. Kathy
    • For I-Share Libraries: Create generic patron records for out of state, use CARLI created ILLINET ID for ILLINET libraries, create local patron records for I-Share Libraries. Sandy
  • Susie will draft the April listserv question and forward to the committee for editing.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines:

  • Next Meeting:  Conference call, Thursday, April 16, 2015 2:30-4:00pm.
  • Schedule of CARLI Resource Sharing Committee meetings:  Conference calls on first Thursday of each month, 2:30 – 4:00 p.m., beginning in September and skipping January.

**Planning Lead Times

  • Requiring 4 or more months planning
    • CARLI systems training
    • CARLI committee events (e.g., forums)
    • CARLI joint meetings (e.g., committee chairs, liaisons, etc.)
  • Requiring 2 or more months planning
    • CARLI committee meetings held offsite
    • CARLI continuing education “informal” event held at CARLI office (e.g., a hackfest)
  • Requiring 1 or more months planning
    • CARLI committee meetings held at the CARLI office
  • Requiring 1 or more weeks planning
    • CARLI committee meetings by conference call only