Preservation Working Group Meeting: April 29, 2013

CARLI Office, Champaign

Members Attending: Ross Griffiths, Chair, Illinois State University; David Bell, Eastern Illinois University; Lorraine Olley (by phone), University of Saint Mary of the Lake Mundelein Seminary; Bonnie Parr, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum; Cason Snow, Northern Illinois University; Julie Wroblewski, Benedictine University

Members Absent: Katie Risseeuw, Northwestern University

Staff Attending: Elizabeth Clarage, Nicole Swanson


  • Bonnie Parr will take minutes.
  • Fall Webinar:
    • The Preservation Committee will hold a webinar on Collection Assessment for Preservation Purposes on October 8, 2013 from 1:30-2:45.
    • Three group members agreed to share information on assessment models that they are familiar: Lorraine Olley will speak on “Using ARL guidelines;” Cason Snow will speak on “An In-House Process used by Northern Illinois University;” and Ross Griffiths will speak on a “Method used by Illinois State University.”
    • Each speaker will have 20 minutes for their presentation, and there will 15-minutes of question at the end of the session.
    • The webinar will be recorded and will be archived.
    • Publicity for webinar: Approximately August 1 or earlier, have a descriptive paragraph of the program for a “Save-the-Date” note for the CARLI newsletter and email lists. Approximately 6 weeks prior to the event (August 27) open registration.
  • The author’s name of the monthly “Preservation Tip” for the CARLI newsletter will be added to the text.
  • Blog assignments will be discussed at the next meeting.
  • As preservation grant opportunities become available, group members will share the information through CARLI email lists and the CARLI newsletter.
  • Group will discuss other programs for the next year including:
    • workshop or forum on preservation on a shoe-string
    • workshop or forum on climate control
    • planning for preservation white paper
  • Meeting was adjourned at 1:30 p.m.


  • Katie Risseeuw and Ross Griffiths are rotating off of the group. Group members should encourage colleagues that have preservation experience to volunteer for the Preservation Committee. The deadline for volunteers is April 30th.
  • Mold remediation workshop:
    • All arrangements are in place for the “Mold in Libraries: The Problems, the Risks, and Some Solutions” program at the Newberry Library on May 10.
    • Registration will begin at 9:30. Ross will introduce the speakers. The tour of the Newberry Conservation Laboratory is full; space is still available for the other tours offered.
    • As of April 29, there were 47 participants registered.
    • Elizabeth is creating a PowerPoint slideshow of mold on library materials/ in libraries. Please send any pictures that you may have to her by May 6.
  • An announcement of the CCAHA/NEH conservation assessment grant (deadline May 1) was submitted to the CARLI newsletter.
  • A new Chair for the Preservation Committee is needed by July 1.

Tasks Assigned

  • CARLI Newsletter Articles:
    • April – Julie has “Impact of an Hour” ready
    • May – Ross will write about pre-contacting vendors of disaster services
    • June – Lorraine will write about AV standards and finding a vendor for preservation reformatting
    • July – Cason – TBA
    • August – Bonnie will write about the dPlan
    • September – Julie will write about working with contracts in disaster situations
  • Publicizing Preservation Grants:
  • Whoever is subscribed to relevant online discussion lists should submit announcements of upcoming preservation grants to the CARLI Email lists: Collections and Content Group and the Technical Services Interest Group.
  • Preservation Webliography:
  • Group members need to check links. Send any changes to Elizabeth by May 6, so she can update them by May 10. Any additions needed to be noted on the group’s wiki for discussion at the next meeting.
  • Collection Assessment for Preservation Webinar:
    • A moderator is needed for the October preservation assessment webinar.
    • Also needed by the next meeting a title for the program, information for publicity, and a description of the program and presenters.

Next Meeting

  • The next meeting will be June 17, 9:00 a.m., VOIP.
  • The first meeting of the new Preservation Committee will be in July or August.