Public Services Committee Meeting: November 23, 2020

Conference Call / Zoom

Members attending: Jessica Bastian (Illinois Central College), Krista Bowers Sharpe (Western Illinois University), Aaron Harwig, co-chair (College of DuPage), Cynthia Kremer (Joliet Junior College), Nestor Osorio, co-chair (Northern Illinois University), Cory Stevens (Lake Forest College), Lesley Wolfgang (Saint John's College of Nursing)

Members absent: Caitlin Archer-Helke (Saint Xavier University), Chad Kahl (Illinois State University)

CARLI Staff attending: Elizabeth Clarage, Denise Green

Board Liaisons: Rob Morrison (National Louis University)


  • Minutes were approved with suggested changes from Clarage. (Stevens moved, and Osorio seconded)

Tasks Assigned

  • Minutes taken by Kremer.
  • Stevens will reconcile the versions of the committee’s recommendations to the Board into one version currently named in the committee’s Box folder, “draft CARLI Public Services Committee Board of Director Committee Recommendation.doc”.
  • The co-chairs will add text about additional needs within CARLI and finalize the document on November 30 and submit to CARLI on December 1.
  • Committee members should review the box notes.


  • Member Announcements:
    • Stevens (Lake Forest College)– They are having a J term. Spring will be online.
    • Osorio (NIU) – Per their president, their spring semester will be similar to the fall semester. Most employees will work from home. The NIU Library has a new publicity programing committee with all virtual programs. A recent program was held that celebrated all faculty that had published books in the last year, and another program was held to honor native Americans from DeKalb area.
    • Wolfgang (Saint John’s)– All courses are remote except for clinicals which are still at the hospital. Library is busy.
    • Sharpe (WIU) Students are at home and won’t return until January. Library is still open. Require an ID to enter. Campus is encouraging as many people as able to work from home. Spring semester is shortened with no spring break.
    • Kremer (JJC) – Campus is closed except for some labs finishing, facilities and police. Library is closed. Will open again January 19.
    • Bastian (ICC) – Library will be suspending I-share requests from December 7 until January 11. The library does not want people on campus picking up materials.
    • Harwig (COD) – Campus is maintaining the status quo and monitoring the virus. They are trying to wrap up lab session.
  • CARLI Announcements:
    • CARLI held its annual meeting on November 11. Recordings for most presentations are now available online: . The CARLI Counts Poster Sessions will be available soon.
    • CARLI is beginning to work with OER Commons as it creates a Hub for Open Illinois. Access to current hubs is available online at
    • Upcoming Professional Development Alliance Events can be found on the CARLI calendar along with more information and registration for each.
      • A Peek at Personalities
        • December 4, 1:00-2:00 p.m. CST
      • What is Data Literacy and Why Is It Important?
        • December 7, 12:00-1:00 p.m. CST
      • Decolonizing Subject Headings and Collections
        • December 8, 1:00-2:00 p.m. CST
      • How to Create Fundable Grant Proposals: ASERL Grantwriting Series
        • December 9, 1:00-2:00 p.m. CST
      • Why Did I Leave the Profession? --The DEI Perspective
        • December 10, 1:00-2:30 p.m. CST
      • Communicating Value through Storytelling
        • December 16, 10:00-11:00 a.m. CST
      • Redefining Self-Care in the Midst of a Global Pandemic (Part 1)
        • January 12, 10:00-11:00 a.m. CST
      • Redefining Self-Care in the Midst of a Global Pandemic (Part 2)
        • January 19, 10:00-11:00 a.m. CST
    • Committee programs:
      • CARLI Instruction Committee will be holding a webinar, “Primo VE in Practice- Life After Going Live.” It will be held December 2, 1:00-2:00 p.m.
      • Collection Management Committee is hosting an information member chat, “Looking Back to Move Forward Reflection on a Challenging Year in Collection Management.” It will be held December 11, 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
    • CARLI staff are working from home.


  • PSC Annual Project for 2020-2021
    • The Committee discussed the initial draft.
      • Stevens will work on putting her edits in main document. She will reconcile the drafts today and tomorrow.
      • Any additional ideas should be added to the document this week.
      • Co-chairs will finalize the submission Monday 11/30 and submit the document to CARLI on December 1.
  • The Committee discussed other possible projects for the year
    • Changing Public Services Due to the Pandemic
      • Libraries adapted to the pandemic by developing virtual and online services. Post pandemic what public services should libraries keep? Examples noted in the Box note include Zoom Reference, room scheduling, digitization on request, Balance of staff and services.
    • How Primo VE is Changing the User Experience.
      • This is also a relevant topic, but there were not many notes in the box note.
      • May need to wait on this topic as library staff are still learning Primo VE.
    • PSC Brainstorming Programming Page – Committee members should continue to add to the Brainstorming page.
    • DEI Audit, an idea from the ALA spectrum Committee
      • CARLI staff will share the idea with Anne Craig to ask about how members are engaging at one of the director’s calls.
      • Suggestion to pool resources from all Illinois organization rather so not to duplicate work.
      • Note: CARLI’s budget this year for outside speakers is lean.
    • Looking Beyond the Public Services Committee
      • What existing needs are there within CARLI that is currently not represented in the committee structure? The committee discussed discovery and configuration as well as topical webinars for typical alma tasks such as display logic. Should these needs be met through CARLI’s existing structure or through committees/task forces that currently do not exist? (e.g., Primo VE Discoverability Group ex. Tracking monthly updates, customization options, usability testing, etc. Configurations group – what and how doing. Display logic “work-a-thon”)
      • Aaron and Nestor will add this topic to the Committee’s report to the Board.
      • At the annual meeting, Co-Labs were mentioned which would be programs that are collaborations between CARLI staff and CARLI members.

Next Meeting and Deadlines

Next scheduled meeting: Monday, December 7, 2020 12:00-1:00 PM CST