Public Services Committee Meeting: October 16, 2019

Conference Call / Adobe Connect

Members attending: Krista Bowers Sharpe (Western Illinois University), Aaron Harwig, co-chair (College of DuPage), Nestor Osorio, co-chair (Northern Illinois University), Elizabeth Sterner (Governors State University), Joanna Wilkinson (North Park University), Reina Williams (Rush University)

Members absent: Chad Kahl (Illinois State University), Katherine Sleyko (Prairie State College), Lesley Wolfgang (Saint John's College of Nursing)

CARLI staff attending: Elizabeth Clarage, Anne Craig, Denise Green

Board Liaisons: John Small (North Central College)
Absent: Spencer Brayton (Waubonsee Community College)


  • Aaron will work on and submit Annual Project handout for CARLI Annual Meeting
  • Committee agreed to start setting up logistics and spaces for individual Annual Project subgroups to meet
  • Subgroups will conduct initial meetings and will report at next committee meeting on November 20


  • Member Announcements:
    • Nestor and Aaron will present CARLI’s FY19 Annual Project at ILA.
    • Joanna: North Park’s Provost is leaving.
    • Nestor: NIU is voting on a contract this week; contract includes provisions for library faculty professionals.
  • CARLI Announcements:
    • Anne: She will attend ILA. Kris Hammerstrand will receive a technical services award at ILA. CARLI Counts Cohort 2 applications now open; Cohort 1 will present at ILA. Migration on track for June 24, 2020 go-live date.
    • Denise: Upcoming Alma workshops taking place at UIS, JJC, and UIC have seats open. Alma workshop at Wheaton is full with waitlist.

Tasks Assigned

  • Aaron took minutes.
  • Aaron will submit Annual Project handout for CARLI Annual Meeting by October 21 to Anne.
  • Elizabeth and Denise will set up polls to determine best times for Annual Project subgroups to meet.
  • Everyone will complete polls by October 22 at 5:00 PM.
  • Aaron will reach out to Instruction Committee with updated information and links on Annual Project.


  • CARLI Annual Meeting – November 15
    • Handout discussed: one page, can be both sides.
    • Aaron and Nestor will create PowerPoint for meeting (8 minute maximum presentation); submission date TBD.
  • Annual Project
    • Nestor’s three questions for each subgroup to answer:
      • Define the group’s project
      • How to do it?
      • Outcome/final product
    • Members agreed with Krista’s suggestion to share same note in Box in each subgroup to start out
    • Joanna brought up possible issues of subgroup overlap
    • All agreed on using polls to establish availability and meeting times for subgroups

Next Meeting Dates and Deadlines

Committee Meeting: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 10:00-11:00AM
Subgroup Meetings: TBD

Subgroup Poll Meeting Times: Tuesday, October 22, 5:00PM
Annual Project Proposal: Thursday, October 31, 2019
Annual Project: Friday, May 29, 2020