Public Services Committee Meeting: November 1, 2018

Conference Call

Members attending: Rachel Bicicchi (Millikin University), Marissa Ellermann (Southern Illinois University Carbondale), Aaron Harwig, co-chair (College of DuPage), Chad Kahl (Illinois State University), Joanna Kolendo, co-chair (Chicago State University), Nestor Osorio (Northern Illinois University), Katherine Sleyko (Prairie State College), Reina Williams (Rush University)

Member absent: Nancy Weichert (University of Illinois at Springfield)

CARLI staff attending: Elizabeth Clarage, Denise Green


  • Minutes for the October 12, 2018 meeting were approved.
  • The Public Services Committee will provide a program that relates to public services to the Change Management Program to be held April 2.  The PSC will not be a co-sponsor of the Program.


  • Member announcements
    • Aaron and Joanna will attend tomorrow’s CARLI Annual meeting and give the presentation of the Committee’s FY18 Annual Project.
  • CARLI Update
    • Upcoming events for CARLI:
      • Change Management forum is now confirmed for Tuesday, April 2, at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
      • Preservation Committee will hold a Protective Enclosure Workshop on May 8 at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum. The hands-on workshop will be about creating enclosures.
    • Alma will be the next ILS! The migration is planned to take place in 2020.  Until then, CARLI will keep Voyager in place. Primo will be the discovery layer.  Vufind will remain until it is replace by Primo.
    • The Collection Management Committee is doing a pilot project on open access ebooks. First test case will be the JSTOR ebooks.


  • The committee discussed plans for its Annual Project.
    • Discussion of ideas in PSC Google Doc
    • Reina is interested in doing a project using assessment because the Higher Learning Commission has a new emphasis on co-curricular assessment.
    • Rachel would lean towards assessment.
    • Chad prefers assessment project.
    • Katie find ways to help visualize data.
    • Aaron is also warming up to the idea of taking on an assessment project.
    • Find new ways to collect and report data.
    • Find something practical that people can implement that doesn’t require experts.
    • Denise possibly find a way to make it meaningful but simple.
    • Find ways to share with the wider community that is simple but useful information.
    • Find out what data is best to collect and how to report it in a meaningful way.
    • Nestor prefers that if we go with assessment, that we focus our efforts on a narrow area so that it can be useful and show how the library is being used presently.
    • Rachel would prefer to focus on how we share and interpret the information in a meaningful way to administrators and beyond.
    • Chad is on the same page as Rachel.  
  • Technical Services Committee’s Change Management Program request to collaborate.
    • The Committee discussed the level of involvement in collaboration and decided not to co-sponsor but to provide a breakout session/program.
      • A possible topic: How do you move to a new public catalog- pros and cons of being an early adopter.
  • The PSC discussed the Instruction Committee’s project idea and its impact, if any, on our annual project idea.
    • “The CARLI Instruction Committee’s general annual project theme is: Diverse student populations and library instruction. They may do a webinar, compile bibliographies and/or relevant curriculum materials.” (from Denise)
    • Not particularly impactful given our discussion today.

Tasks Assigned

  • Marissa agreed to take the minutes.
  • To continue the Annual Project Discussion:
    • Look at the data that libraries are already collecting and who they are reporting it to
    • Decide what the project would look like – group needs to do that.  Presentation, survey, project?
    • Find out what our personal institutions are collecting.
    • Aaron suggests that we contribute to google doc questions for a survey suggested by Nestor to find out what most important data to be collected and assessed is.
    • Elizabeth suggests asking what other kind of reports are being requested of us and other institutions?
    • Do libraries have strategic planning dashboards?

Next Meeting

Next meeting date: Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:00-3:00PM CST by phone