Preservation Committee Meeting: September 10, 2018

Conference call

Members attending:

  • Mary Burns, Northern Illinois University, co-chair
  • Nora Gabor, DePaul University
  • Susan Howell, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
  • Emma Lincoln, Augustana College
  • Ann Lindsay, University of Chicago, co-chair
  • Bonnie Parr, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum
  • William Schlaack, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Members Absent:

  • Tonia Grafakos, Northwestern University

Staff attending:

  • Elizabeth Clarage
  • Nicole Swanson


  • CARLI Annual Meeting
    • to be held at the iHotel on November 2, 2018
    • Sept. 14 is the deadline for notification that a committee member will give a presentation about the 2018 Annual project.
    • Oct. 22 is the deadline for submitting a one-page summary of the 2018 Annual Project.
  • Voyager Skills webinars – held on Fridays twice a month at 11:00am.
    • The Sept. 14 program, “Voyager Documentation Beyond CARLI” is presented by Ted Schwitzner.
    • The Sept. 28 program, “Batch Deletes” is presented by Nicole Swanson.
  • There are still openings for the Voyager Cataloging Client Training in-person workshop, Oct. 18-19, held at the CARLI Champaign office; the training is provided by Nicole Swanson and Ted Schwitzner.
  • The RFP process for IShare continues.
  • CARLI was awarded an IMLS Laura Bush 21st Century Library Program grant:  “CARLI Counts:  Analytics and Advocacy for Service Development”; see the CARLI website for details:


  • 2018 Annual Project
    • The 2018 Annual Project presentation to be given at the CARLI Annual Meeting in November should be a PowerPoint and last no more than 8 minutes.
    • Mary volunteered to give the presentation and Ann volunteered to assist with the preparation; both requested help from the Preservation Committee.
  • Preservation Resources Webliography
    • Four Committee members reported finding broken links, having difficulty looking for alternate access to those sites, and finding links to add.  
    • Notify Elizabeth and Nicole about broken links, so they can arrange to remove them.  
    • Notify the Preservation Committee about new links, so they can be reviewed by the Committee before adding to the Webliography.
  • Annual Project/Newsletter Tips
    • Thank you to William for his summary of the IFSI Burn Simulation and Recovery workshop; he wants to add to his article the list of information resources included in the participants’ packets; Nicole mentioned that resources have been linked on the Preservation Webpage under Past Webinars and Workshops for the IFSI event. These links can be added to William’s article too.
    • Ann asked for input for a title for this year’s annual project, so she can include it in her “Introduction” article for the September newsletter.
    • Elizabeth asked the Committee to discuss what the end-product of this year’s annual project should be.  
  • Preservation Week, April 21-27, 2019
    • There was discussion about what to include in the March newsletter tip about Preservation Week.
    • There was also discussion about holding the Protective Enclosures workshop during that week as a preservation activity; Elizabeth recommended the workshop not be held during that time because it may cause schedule conflicts with other Preservation Week activities; she said it could be advertised as “in honor” of Preservation Week.
  • Protective Enclosures Workshop
    • Bonnie gave a report on planning by the subcommittee for the Protective Enclosures workshop.
    • The program will include a speaker (to talk about the types of enclosures available and what’s appropriate for different types of materials) and hands-on training (making a wrapper style appropriate for thin books and a box style appropriate for thick books).
    • Scheduling for Spring 2019 – Committee discussion narrowed the window of available dates down to April 16, 17 or May 7, 8; a survey will be sent out to choose the most available date.
    • Supplies needed for the hands-on segment - a list of tools and supplies is needed; once the list is compiled, committee members can sign up to lend or donate materials; after that response, what supplies that need to be purchased can be determined.  
    • Needed at least 6 months ahead of the workshop date: potential sponsors list who Anne can contact on behalf of the Committee, a Save-the-Date announcement for the workshop, and a wish list of supplies (to be loaned, donated, or purchased) for the hands-on portion of the workshop. 
  • Preservation Open House
    • There was discussion about venues – the possible Chicago sites include: Pritzker Military Museum, Art Institute school/library (across the street from the Pritzker), and Spertus Institute; the Field Museum, Newberry Library, Columbia College, Chicago History Museum, and Surgical Museum; possible Springfield sites include:  the ALPLM, Illinois State Military Museum, Illinois State Archives, and Illinois State Museum/Research and Collections Center; the library at Illinois State University was mentioned as a possible Bloomington/Normal site, as long as there are other venues in that area.
    • There was concern about walking/driving distance between sites and availability of parking.
  • Advanced Repair Workshop
    • Discussion about the advanced repair workshop was tabled until the next meeting.


  • Bonnie Parr was confirmed to take minutes.
  • The August meeting minutes were approved.
  • Discussion about the one-page summary of the Annual Project was tabled until the next Committee meeting.
  • For this year’s annual project title, the Committee decided on: “Beyond the Book:  Preserving Your Non-Book Collections”.  
  • For the end-product of the annual project, the Committee decided on creating a webpage with links to the monthly newsletter tips/blog/articles.
  • For the March newsletter tip about Preservation Week, the Committee decided to include a short description about Preservation Week,  highlight what committee members and other CARLI members are doing for the event at their institutions (in order to give ideas on what activities can be done), post the link, if still available, to the Preservation Week calendar from the Preservation Week website that has suggestions for activities, and encourage CARLI members to post their activities.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:35am.

Tasks Assigned

  • Mary and Ann, with the committee’s help, will develop a presentation about the 2018 Annual Project for the CARLI Annual Meeting in November.
  • In January, Ann will send out a reminder to committee members to write a sentence or two about their Preservation Week activities; she also will compile Preservation Week activities submissions for the newsletter.
  • William will write the “blurb” about Preservation Week for the March newsletter.
  • Nicole will add links to William's IFSI article.
  • Elizabeth will send out a survey to pick the date for the Protective Enclosures workshop.
  • Ann will put together a list of Chicago sites for the Preservation Open House.
  • Bonnie will put together a list of Springfield and Bloomington/Normal sites.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

Schedule of Preservation Committee Meetings:

  • October 10, 2018:  10:00-11:30
  • November 14, 2018:  10:00-11:30
  • December 10, 2018:  10:00-11:30
  • January 14, 2019:  10:00-11:30
  • February 11, 2019:  10:00-11:30
  • March 11, 2019:  10:00-11:30
  • April 8, 2019:  10:00-11:30
  • May 13. 2019:  10:00-11:30
  • June 10, 2019:  10:00-11:30

Connection Information:
+1 (888) 983-3631 (toll-free)
+1 (217) 332-6338 (Local Urbana-Champaign number)
+1 (312) 994-8410 (Local Chicago number)
Conference ID:  8962938