Preservation Committee Meeting: September 11, 2017

Conference Call

Members Attending:

  • Mary Burns, Northern Illinois University
  • Susan Howell, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
  • Jennifer Hunt Johnson, Illinois State University
  • Jamie Nelson, DePaul University
  • Bonnie Parr, co-chair, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum
  • Meghan Ryan, National Louis University
  • Melanie Schoenborn, Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville
  • Anne Thomason, co-chair, Lake Forest College 

Members Absent:

  • Ann Lindsay, University of Chicago

Staff Attending:

  • Elizabeth Clarage
  • Nicole Swanson


  • CARLI announcements
    • Anne Thomason will present a one-page summary of the 2016 Preservation Committee Annual Project at the CARLI Annual Meeting in November.
    • Elizabeth mentioned there is now a budget for the state and the University of Illinois, but not yet for CARLI.
    • Anne Craig has conducted listening sessions with library directors around the state; she has 2 left – on September 18 at Olivet Nazarene and September 25 at SIUE.
    • There were over 2700 submissions this past fiscal year for the CARLI Last Copy Program.  The program has traditionally been for print monographs.  As interest has grown in last copy for other formats, CARLI is now asking if members are interested in being a location that would retain non-print formats.
  • Member announcements
    • Bonnie will be giving a talk for the Coles County Genealogical Society, Charleston, IL, about preserving family history materials.
    • Anne shared that she is currently on the nominating committee for the Midwest Archives Conference; she announced the need for a treasurer.


  • October meeting
    • Nicole noted that the next scheduled meeting date, October 10, is the first day of the ILA conference; there was discussion about rescheduling the meeting.  The committee decided to move the meeting to the following Monday.
  • Preservation Resources Webliography
    • Melanie reported that the links for Library Binding are good.
  • Annual Project
    • The committee discussed the 2 topics for the Annual Project that were brought up at the last meeting – (1) fire disasters in libraries and (2) communicating the importance of preservation and training.  The committee favored the second topic because of its broader scope and potential variety of subtopics that are accessible enough for all Preservation Committee members to contribute.  The following subtopics were discussed for communicating the value of preservation and training:  administrators (Jamie), disaster preparedness training (Jen), environmental monitoring (Bonnie), facilities managers (Anne), financing (open), Last Copy program (Susan), other libraries/institutions (open), staff training (Mary), student workers training (Melanie), user/stakeholders training (open), and a conclusion (Ann).  There was discussion on how to communicate our topics to the CARLI membership – are newsletter tips/blogs enough?  Elizabeth suggested that the committee could also send email to CARLI email lists to promote the new tip.
  • Workshops
    • Illinois Fire Service Institute Burn Simulation 
      • Elizabeth and Nicole contacted David Ehrenhart at the IFSI for information on scheduling a workshop, including fees and available dates in 2018.  The workshop fee is $1200, which includes a talk by a fire professional and a burn simulation.  Additional fees mentioned were:  $340 for a talk and demonstration on using fire extinguishers or $680 for hands-on fire extinguisher training using water mist extinguishers.  Because of the expense, a workshop fee might need to be charged to CARLI participants.  There was some confusion about what is included with the various quoted fees.  Available dates are June 12-14, 19-21, and July 17-19. The later set of June dates were ruled out because of the ALA conference.  The IFSI cancellation policy is 4 weeks prior to the workshop date.  The committee discussed including some type of fire extinguisher training with this workshop.  The committee discussed the various training options as well as the need for recovery training since we recently offered that training this past summer.  The committee asked Nicole and Elizabeth to confirm scenarios and pricing with David at the IFSI before it makes a decision on what training to offer.
    • Preservation Open House
      • Discussion was deferred until the October meeting.
    • Advanced Repair Workshop
      • The committee discussed suggestions for an advanced repair workshop, as collected in a survey of participants from last year’s collections care workshops.  The survey responses were so varied, that it is hard to choose a topic that will be of broad interest.  The committee discussed sending a survey to CARLI membership with 2-3 choices of advanced repair topics.


  • Bonnie Parr was confirmed to take minutes.
  • The July minutes were approved.
  • The October meeting date was moved to October 16, 10:00-11:30.
  • The topic for the Annual Project – communicating the importance of preservation and training – was approved; more discussion about subtopics for the project and related CARLI newsletter/blog assignments will be undertaken at the October meeting.
  • A decision on the scope and affordability of a workshop at the IFSI will be discussed at the October meeting, pending further information about cost. 
  • To narrow the choices for a future advanced repair workshop, a survey will be sent out to the CARLI membership to choose among 2-3 topics.
  • The meeting adjourned at 12:30.
  • Tasks Assigned

  • Anne will email a draft of the one-page summary of last year’s Annual Project for committee review by the end of September.   The report is due October 13 to be sent to CARLI. 
  • Bonnie will email the committee the list of potential subtopics for the annual project, with the initial assignment of members who picked out their topic for the CARLI newsletter/blog.
  • Melanie will write a newsletter tip introducing the Annual Project for the September newsletter.
  • Elizabeth and Nicole will contact the IFSI again to clarify fees for different workshop options (burn simulation, fire extinguisher demonstration, fire extinguisher hands-on training, and presentation by a fire professional, possible presentation by Jennifer Hain Teper).
  • Melanie will draft a survey for choosing the advanced repair topic of most interest to the CARLI membership.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

Schedule of Preservation Committee Meetings:
•    October 16, 2017:  10:00-11:30
•    November 13, 2017:  10:00-11:30
•    December 11, 2017:  10:00-11:30
•    January 8, 2018:  10:00-11:30
•    February 12, 2018:  10:00-11:30
•    March 12, 2018:  10:00-11:30
•    April 9, 2018:  10:00-11:30
•    May 14, 2018:  10:00-11:30
•    June 11, 2018:  10:00-11:30

Connection Information:
+1 (888) 983-3631 (toll-free)
+1 (217) 332-6338 (Local Urbana-Champaign number)
+1 (312) 994-8410 (Local Chicago number)
Conference ID:  5259711