Preservation Committee Meeting: August 22, 2016

Conference Call

Members Attending:

  • Jenny Dunbar, College of DuPage
  • Jennifer Hunt Johnson, Illinois State University
  • Greg MacAyeal, Northwestern University
  • Beth McGowan, co-chair, Northern Illinois University
  • Bonnie Parr, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum
  • Meghan Ryan, National-Louis University
  • Melanie Schoenborn, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
  • Anne Thomason, co-chair, Lake Forest College

Members Absent:

  • Jamie Nelson, DePaul University

Staff Attending:

  • Elizabeth Clarage
  • Nicole Swanson


  • Jenny Dunbar is taking minutes.
  • The August 2016 agenda was accepted.
  • The July 11, 2016 minutes were approved.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:15 a.m.


  • Nicole announced that the CARLI Annual Meeting will be held on November 18, 2016 in Champaign from 10:30 a.m.-3:00pm. Each committee is invited to present in person or distribute a handout reviewing their work from the 2015-2016 year.
  • Elizabeth announced that Senior Director Anne Craig will be joining the various CARLI committee meetings, as her schedule allows, to better acquaint herself with their work.


  • Disaster Planning Annual Project/Newsletter Tips: 
    • This year’s annual project will be centered on the topic of disaster recovery.
    • The subject assignments and schedule are:
      • 1st week of August (Beth – Introduction to the project)
      • 1st week of September (Melanie – Types of Midwest disasters)
      • 1st week of October (Greg – Getting started with a disaster plan)
      • 1st week of November (Jenny – Creating a plan)
      • 1st week of December (Jen – In-house management)
      • 1st week of January (Meghan – Tools/emergency kit [supplies])
      • 1st week of February (Bonnie – Recovery from a disaster, techniques)
      • 1st week of March (Jamie – Midwest and regional vendors)
      • 1st week of April (Anne - Conclusion)
      • May (TBD)
      • June (TBD)
    • Each member will write an article on their particular subject which will be posted on the blog. 
    • We will continue to avoid use of first person as well as past tense in writing and use MLA citation style for any print resources and modified MLA for web resources [Author, Link.]. This will facilitate the compilation of the articles for the final project. 
    • Any images that are to accompany the articles should be sent in a separate file rather than embedded in the article.
    • The introductory paragraph of each article will be posted each month in the CARLI newsletter as a “tip” and will contain a link to the complete article.
    • Discussion on the form the final project will take has been tabled until a few of the monthly articles are complete and able to be reviewed.
    • There was discussion about other possible ways to promote or disseminate the work of the committee. Cross-posting on other preservation related listservs and presenting at ALA or ACRL was mentioned. Nicole reminded the committee that the articles reside on a public part of the CARLI website and are accessible to the general public.
  • Fall Workshop:
    • The Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, and Shedd Aquarium were contacted and are unable to do a fall program for us this year. The preservation lab at UIUC was mentioned, but the group agreed that since we just had a program there this past spring it would be too soon. The International Preservation Studies Center (formerly the Campbell Center for Historic Preservation Studies) in Mount Vernon, IL was discussed. Since the IPSC charges for classes, we will need to know what if any options we will have. Beth will call and investigate. If no suitable venue is found for a fall workshop, the committee agreed it would be acceptable to forgo having one since there will be spring and summer 2017 programs.
  • Preservation Resources Webliography:
    • Committee members are fine with their assigned topics and will begin work reviewing and refining them as time allows. As a reminder, the committee needs to be advised of any potential additions/deletions for their approval.  These can be sent to the committee prior to meetings via the committee’s email list.
  • Spring Collections Care Workshop:
    • Jennifer distributed a tentative schedule for a spring collections care workshop at ISU. The committee agreed that it will work well. Jen stated that they could accommodate 15-20 persons. A materials budget for the workshop was discussed. Jennifer indicated that the consumables such as paste and Filmoplast would need to be covered, but they have plenty of equipment for the participants to use. Elizabeth stated that CARLI handles the lunch and coffee/tea for the workshops. Jennifer will check and get back to the committee at our next meeting with possible dates.
  • Water and Mold Recovery Workshop:
    • The group agreed that a water and mold recovery workshop will be a good tie-in with our annual project of disaster recovery. In 2013, the Preservation Committee had a similar workshop at the Newberry Library. At that event, Jennifer Hain Teper (UIUC) presented on the mold disaster in the RBMS collection, Julie Mosbo (SIUC) spoke on a mold disaster in their offsite storage, and a mycologist gave a talk on mold. Bonnie mentioned that she has done a hands-on water disaster recovery demonstration. She will review her notes and send to the committee to review to see if feasible. 

Tasks Assigned


  • Beth and Anne (tentatively) will present the committee’s 2015-16 Annual Project at the CARLI Annual Meeting in November.
  • Elizabeth and Nicole will draft a one page summary of the committee’s work for 2015-16.
  • Beth will call IPSC for information and report back to the group.
  • Jennifer will check on dates for the spring workshop at ISU.
  • Bonnie will send her notes on a water disaster recovery workshop to the group for review.
  • All committee members – continue working on outstanding webliography links and newsletter tips.

Next Meeting Dates


  • September 12, 2016: 10:00 – 11:30 – minutes Jamie Nelson
  • October 11, 2016: 10:00 – 11:30
  • November 14, 2016: 10:00 – 11:30
  • December 12, 2016: 10:00 – 11:30
  • January 9, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30
  • February 13, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30
  • March 13, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30
  • April 10, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30
  • May 8, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30
  • June 12, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30

217 332 6338
312 994 8410
888 983 3631 (toll free)
Conference ID: 9401938