Preservation Committee Meeting: December 11, 2017

Conference Call

Members Attending:
•    Mary Burns, Northern Illinois University
•    Susan Howell, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
•    Emma Lincoln, Augustana College
•    Ann Lindsey, University of Chicago
•    Jamie Nelson, DePaul University
•    Bonnie Parr, co-chair, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum
•    Meghan Ryan, National Louis University
•    Melanie Schoenborn, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
•    Anne Thomason, co-chair, Lake Forest College 

Staff Attending:

•    Elizabeth Clarage
•    Nicole Swanson


CARLI Announcements

  • Welcome Emma Lincoln from Augustana! 
  • CARLI office will be closed Dec.25th-January 1st, staff will return on January 2nd. No ILDS on 12/22, 12/29, or 1/1.
  • Gordon Fellows is Interim Director of Systems; Brandon Gant stepped down from his position as Director of Systems as of December 1st. 
  • The RFP for a new library service platform was publicly posted on the Illinois Procurement Bulletin for Public Institutions of Higher Education on 11/16/2017. The I-Share Next Task Force members will be reviewing the bids that are placed but will not be able to talk about details of the review.
  • CARLI-Modified Open Textbook Library records have been loaded into CARLI’s Resource database and now display in I-Share and I-Share member’s local VuFind instances. Libraries using other systems can request access to the CARLI-modified records at
  • Elizabeth is working with the Open Education Resource Task Force. They are planning a webinar in January and Open Textbook Network staff will come to Illinois for training workshops that will be in April 2018 at Governors State University on 4/23, Loyola University Chicago on 4/24, and Heartland Community College on 4/26. Registration is not yet available.
  • The Created Content Committee is planning webinars; registration is not yet available for: 2/01/18 webinar on and 3/06/18 webinar on Copyright Q & A.
  • Institutional Repository Investigative Task Force has met.  Their charge includes recommending if the consortium should move forward with a consortial institutional repository.
  • Public Service Committee will be holding an open house at Millikin University on March 15th.
  • Annual Meeting Presentation: Mary said it went great!

Member Announcements

  • Melanie reported that Lydia Jackson will be SIUC’s new interim dean.
  • Bonnie also reported that she was asked to do a training with staff on how to handle archival materials.
  • Emma reported that the library director at Augustana will be retiring at the end of the month.


  • Preservation Resources Webliography
    • Melanie suggested that in the future, add a parenthetical to each person’s name to indicate what links have been checked.
    • The following was reported:
      • Assessment Planning – Emma (newly assigned)
      • Audio-visual Preservation – Mary (finished)
      • Blogs and Listservs – Nicole (pending)
      • Book Repair and Conservation – Susan (pending)
      • Digital Preservation and Digitization for Preservation – Jamie (pending, link to fix and new suggestions)
      • Disaster Planning and Response – Anne (pending)
      • Exhibits – Bonnie (pending)
      • General Preservation and Conservation Resources Sites -- Elizabeth & Ann Lindsey (pending)
      • Glossaries – Anne (pending)
      • Grants and Development – Meghan (finished)
      • Legal Issues – Ann Lindsey (pending)
      • Library Binding – Melanie (finished)
      • Mold, Pests, and the Environment -- Ann Lindsey (finished)
      • Protective Enclosures and Storage – Meghan (finished)
      • Special Collections and Archives – Mary (finished)
      • Supply Vendors – Bonnie (pending)
      • Training – Susan (pending)
  • Workshops and Open Houses:
    • IFSI: 
      • Anne will be contacting Jennifer Teper to find out which date works best for her June 12-14 or July 17-19.
      • The workshop will include a presentation by a fire professional, hands-on fire extinguisher training, and a burn/recovery.
      • Bonnie will write up a draft of a save the date so it is ready when we can plug in a date. 
      • There is currently a call for materials to donate to the workshop, including books and shelving.
      • CARLI approved funding for the workshop, there will be no charge for members to attend.
    • University of Chicago Open House:
      • The Oriental Institute is willing to give tours during the open house along with the University of Chicago Preservation Department. 
      • The open house will take place on April 20th. Up to 30 people can be accommodated.
      • A Save-the-Date will go out with the December newsletter.
    • Future Workshops:
      • Advanced book repair: tabled until January meeting
  • Annual project: Communicating the Value of Preservation
    • Bonnie is currently working on her article for the December newsletter.
    • Bonnie reported that Jen asked for a little bit more time, we may do two tips in January.


  • Meghan was confirmed to take minutes.
  • The Spring Open House at the University of Chicago will take place on April 20th. 
  • The meeting was adjourned at 11:32 a.m.

Tasks Assigned

  • Bonnie will write up a draft save-the-date for the IFSI workshop.
  • Emma will review the Assessment Planning section of the webliography.
  • Bonnie will talk to Anne regarding Jennifer Teper’s availability.
  • Everyone: be on the lookout for items to donate to the IFSI workshop, including books and shelving units.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

Schedule of Preservation Committee Meetings:
•    January 8, 2018:  10:00-11:30
•    February 12, 2018:  10:00-11:30
•    March 12, 2018:  10:00-11:30
•    April 9, 2018:  10:00-11:30
•    May 14, 2018:  10:00-11:30
•    June 11, 2018:  10:00-11:30

Connection Information:
+1 (888) 983-3631 (toll-free)
+1 (217) 332-6338 (Local Urbana-Champaign number)
+1 (312) 994-8410 (Local Chicago number)
Conference ID: 5259711