Preservation Committee Meeting: February 08, 2021

Zoom / Conference Call

Members Attending:  

  • Melina Avery, University of Chicago
  • Mary Burns, Northern Illinois University
  • Rob DeLand, VanderCook College of Music
  • Nora Gabor, DePaul University
  • Tonia Grafakos, Northwestern University
  • Susan Howell, Southern Illinois University Carbondale
  • Becky Koch, Illinois State University
  • Meghan Ryan, National Louis University, co-chair
  • William Schlaack, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, co-chair

Staff Attending:

  • Elizabeth Clarage  
  • Nicole Swanson


  • Member Announcements:
    • Meghan announced that National Louis University will be closing its North Shore Campus. About 600 liner feet of archival material is moving to the Wheeling Campus. Approximately 20 boxes are moving to the Chicago Campus.
  • CARLI Announcements: 
    • There are a number of professional development opportunities coming up for CARLI members offered through the Professional Development Alliance (PDA) with registration available via the CARLI calendar:
    • February 16, 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.: “Meet Harriet Tubman” presented by Kathryn Harris, Florida International University, Miami.
    • March 25, 30, 31, April 1, 10:00 12:00 p.m.: “Undergraduate Research Webinar Series.”
    • April 20, 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.: “Incoming Library Collections: A Unified Approach to Newly Acquired Material” presented by Tonia Grafakos, Northwestern University.
    • May 4, 10:00 a.m.: Sara Benson, UIUC: Fair Use Gameshow (she is also giving this program during Fair Use week February 25 at 11:00 a.m.)
    • May 26 and June 9: “3D Printing” a 2-part series presented by Alex Cabada, UIUC.


  • Preservation Committee Charge:
    • Members decided to keep the Charge as is.
    • Will make sure the board gets the documentation it needs.
    • Diversity, equity, inclusion language will be added to all CARLI committee charges.
  • Annual Project Updates:
    • Susan will have her interview draft in by February 18th.
    • Mary is scheduled for March, and Rob for April.
  • Webinar on accepting collections including large gift donations:
    • The Presentation will be April 20 at 10am.
    • Presentation will be 45 minutes with time for questions.
    • Title variations considered were “Incoming Library Collections: A Unified Approach to Newly Acquired Material” or “Every Collection Has Issues:  How to Create a Unified Approach to Newly Acquired Library Material.”
    • Not decided yet whether questions will be during or after.
    • Tonia will decide when we find out how many attendees there will be.
    • Meghan volunteered to monitor the chat and organize the questions
  • Checking Links on the CARLI Preservation Resources website:
    • The Committee will set aside a block of time in March to discuss possible additions to the webpage.
  • Future Outreach Ideas:
    • This topic was tabled after some discussion because there is so little known about what might be happing in the upcoming year in response to the pandemic.
    • Potential ideas. Having a virtual tour or focusing on a webinar about creating virtual tours was suggested. Virtual tours may make it possible to highlight institutions that logistics would prevent us from visiting in person. The Committee will resume discussions at the March meeting.


  • January minutes were approved with an edit.
  • The Committee decided to keep the current language of the committee’s charge.
  • A block of time will be set aside at the March meeting to discuss additions and revisions to the Preservation Resources webpage.
  • April 20 Webinar
    • Title for Tonia’s webinar will be “Incoming Library Collections: A Unified Approach to Newly Acquired Material.”
    • Megan will monitor chat and organize questions during the presentation.

Tasks Assigned

  • Will will follow up on what is needed from the Preservation Committee in regards to the Committee’s charge.
  • CARLI Preservation Resources webpage:
    • Committee members review their Preservation Resources links and add changes to the document in Box by March 1 for committee discussion in March.
  • Nicole will send Tonia a release form for the webinar and add a save the date to the February newsletter.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

Schedule of Preservation Committee Conference Calls:

  • March 8, 2021: 10:30-12:00
  • March 8, 2021: 10:30-12:00
  • April 12, 2021: 10:30-12:00
  • May 10, 2021: 10:30-12:00
  • June 14, 2021: 10:30-12:00

Upcoming Program:

  • April 20, 2021: 10:00-11:00: Incoming Library Collections: A Unified Approach to Newly Acquired Material