Preservation Committee Meeting: November 14, 2018

Conference Call

Members attending:

  • Mary Burns, Northern Illinois University, co-chair
  • Nora Gabor, DePaul University
  • Tonia Grafakos, Northwestern University
  • Emma Lincoln, Augustana College
  • Ann Lindsay, University of Chicago, co-chair
  • Meghan Ryan, National Louis University
  • William Schlaack, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Members absent:

  • Susan Howell, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
  • Bonnie Parr, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum

Staff attending:

  • Elizabeth Clarage
  • Nicole Swanson


  • Committee Member Announcements
    • Ann announced that she and her colleague Melina Avery submitted proposal for a talk to AIC for their next conference that was accepted. The talk will be about their experiences repairing a collection of antiphonary.
  • CARLI Announcements
    • Annual Meeting:
      • Mary presented on the preservation committee’s project from last year at the Annual Meeting on November 2nd.
    • Ex Libris Alma:
      • CARLI has selected Ex Libris Alma for their next I-Share platform. CARLI plans to have all 91 I-share member institutions using ALMA by 2020. Ex Libris will also be providing CARLI with Primo VE services. CARLI will discontinue VuFind but there will be updates until the final switch to Alma and Primo. Ex Libris does provides training online and you can receive certification through these training sessions, but this will not be available until the contract is finalized.
    • CARLI Counts:
      • CARLI has received an IMLS, Laura Bush Century Librarian Program grant for CARLI Counts: Analytics and Advocacy for Service Development. The two day, in-person program at the I-hotel is meant to assist libraries to use data and provide information to stakeholders. There will be two cohorts, with one in 2019 and second in 2020. Food and lodging will be covered for attendees. Libraries interested in participating should fill out a library application form and submit it to Anne Craig ( The first application is an institutional application and if your library is chosen, a representative for the library will be chosen to attend and they will fill in an individual information form. The library application can found on the CARLI Counts page ( The applications are due by Friday, November 23rd but if a slight extension is needed, libraries should contact Ann Craig. Institutions of all sizes are welcome to apply.
    • Voyager Skills Webinars- Fridays at 11 a.m.:
      • There are two Voyager Skills webinars planned for November. The first will be November 16th on Acquisitions and the second one will be on Item Tracking on November 30th.
    • CARLI Newsletter:
      • The November newsletter deadline is Nov. 27th.  There will be no December newsletter and the people who were possibly going to write tips for December have been notified.


  • Preservation Resources Webliography
    • Assessment Planning—Susan
    • Audio-visual Preservation—Mary (Completed)
    • Book Repair and Conservation—Susan
    • Digital Preservation and Digitization for Preservation—William  (made corrections but no new resources added)
    • Disaster Planning and Response—William (made corrections but no new resources added)
    • Exhibits—Bonnie (In progress)
    • General Preservation and Conservation Resources Sites—Ann/Bonnie
    • Glossaries—Nora (Completed)
    • Grants and Development—Meghan (Completed)
    • Legal Issues—Tonia (In progress)
    • Library Binding—Emma (Completed)
    • Mold, Pests, and the Environment—Ann (Completed)
    • Protective Enclosures and Storage —Meghan (Completed)
    • Special Collections and Archives—Mary (Completed)
    • Social Media—Nicole
    • Supply Vendors—Elizabeth
    • Training—Ann (Completed)
  • Annual Project 2017-2018
    • Mary presented about the 2017-2018 annual project at the annual meeting on November 2nd and it was very well received.
  • Annual Project 2018-2019
    • Changes have been made to accommodate not having a newsletter in December. Bonnie also has decided to focus on just statues for her November tip.
    • The creation of the webpage for the November tips need to be completed by Nov. 27th so the tips should be ready a little earlier than that to allow enough time to create the page.
  • Protective Enclosures Workshop 2019
    • The subcommittee have drafted an agenda for the workshop based on the salvaging workshop. The day starts with check-in and coffee, then a talk on protective enclosures, how to choose them, how to choose commercially made products, lunch, enclosures for thin books, enclosures for thick books, and wrap-up.
    • Mary will contact Bonnie about the supply list.
  • Preservation Open House-April or May
    • Chicago area- Ann has contacted Spertus and they have respectfully declined a visit. The Pritzker’s conservation lab is in a separate location from the museum and library. It is much farther north, so travel there may not be feasible. Ann has contacted AIC and Columbia College but has not received a response. Ann will contact them again and if we do not hear back by December we will move on to the possibility of visiting the Newberry Library and the Chicago History Museum. Participants could take the 22 bus to get between the two institutions.
    • Springfield- The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum, Illinois State Conservation Lab, and the Illinois State Military Museum have all confirmed that they could accommodate a visit. No dates and times have been set. We would need to figure out ride-sharing because the institutions are not within walking distance of each other. Could potentially do the preservation open house back to back with the protective enclosure workshop so people could stay overnight and reduce travel back and forth.
    • University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign- Will is waiting to contact them if the other options don’t work.
  • Advanced Repair Workshop 2020?
    • Will joined the subcommittee with Emma and Susan.
    • It was decided that webinars on the topics of either how to work with a conservator or how to work with a disaster relief company would be the best way to move forward because advanced repair would require one more than one day for a workshop and would not translate well to a webinar. We are going to wait to see the results of the 2019 workshop and gauge interest in the webinar topics to help plan the webinars, possibly to happen in fall 2019.
    • Emma will convene the subcommittee to start brainstorming speakers and budget. The subcommittee will seek input from the committee as they plan. Nicole will send Emma the contact information for someone in Southern Illinois who does conservation work.


  • Minutes of the October 10th meeting were approved at the beginning of the meeting.
  • The 2020 Advanced Repair Workshop will be changed to a webinar on either working with a conservator or a commercial disaster relief company.
  • The meeting was adjourned at 11:08 a.m.

Tasks assigned

  • Mary will contact Bonnie about drafting a supply list for the Protective Enclosures Workshop.
  • Ann will reach out to AIC and Columbia College again and if they do not respond by December she will try reaching out to Chicago History Museum and the Newberry instead.
  • Emma will convene the subcommittee to work on brainstorming possible speakers and the budget for the 2020 webinars.
  • Nicole will send Emma the contact information of someone she knows in Southern Illinois who does conservation.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

Schedule of Preservation Committee Meetings:

  • December 10, 2018:  10:00-11:30 a.m.
  • January 14, 2019:  10:00-11:30 a.m.
  • February 11, 2019:  10:00-11:30 a.m.
  • March 11, 2019:  10:00-11:30 a.m.
  • April 8, 2019:  10:00-11:30 a.m.
  • May 13. 2019:  10:00-11:30 a.m.
  • June 10, 2019:  10:00-11:30 a.m.

Connection Information:
+1 (888) 983-3631 (toll-free)
+1 (217) 332-6338 (Local Urbana-Champaign number)
+1 (312) 994-8410 (Local Chicago number)
Conference ID:  8962938