Preservation Committee Meeting: April 9, 2018

Conference Call

Members Attending:

  • Mary Burns, Northern Illinois University
  • Emma Lincoln, Augustana College
  • Ann Lindsey, University of Chicago
  • Jamie Nelson, DePaul University
  • Bonnie Parr, co-chair, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum
  • Anne Thomason, co-chair, Lake Forest College

Members Absent:

  • Susan Howell, Southern Illinois University Carbondale
  • Melanie Schoenborn, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville

Staff Attending:

  • Elizabeth Clarage
  • Nicole Swanson


  • Anne Thomason just completed an exhibit on student protest, it was both a physical and digital exhibit. It was a lot of work, but came out nicely.
  • Nicole Swanson noted a call for participation for ACRL in Cleveland for 2019.


  • Newsletter
    • Anne Thomason submitted her article for April.
    • Meghan will submit her article for May this week.
  • Preservation Open House
    • Nicole will print agendas and name tags.
    • Pictures are okay in the Library, but we will have to check with the Oriental Institute.
    • Ann Lindsey will work with Mary, Jamie, and Emma to write a small item for the newsletter.
  • Spring workshop, 2019
    • Report coming soon, workshop on protective enclosures.
    • Does CARLI allow grants for workshops?
    • Some people were interested in workshops in more remote areas. This would be good for access in underserved areas, but might reduce attendance.
    • Springfield or UIUC were suggested as a balance.


  • Minutes of the March 12, 2018 meeting were approved prior to the meeting. Bonnie moved to approve the March minutes, Jamie seconded. Anne approved the minutes.
  • The meeting was adjourned at 10:40 AM.

Tasks Assigned

  • Ann Lindsey took minutes.
  • Emma will call a colleague about becoming a new member on the committee.
  • Ann Lindsey will call Jennifer Hain Teper for a recommendation from her staff for a new member for the committee.
  • Burn Recovery Workshop.
    • There are five spaces remaining.
    • Shelving units have been secured, 3 tall, 1 short.
    • Would like to have a mix of older and newer material, different types of material if possible.
    • Ann Lindsey suggested empty or nearly empty manuscript boxes to show how differently things like that burn.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

Next Meeting: May 14, 2018
Schedule of Preservation Committee Meetings:
June 11, 2018, 10:00 AM

Connection Information:

  • +1 888 983 3631 (toll-free)
  • +1 217 332 6338 (Local Urbana-Champaign number)
  • +1 312 994 8410 (Local Chicago number)
  • Conference ID: 5259711