Preservation Committee Meeting: November 13, 2017

Conference Call/Adobe Connect

Members Attending:

  • Susan Howell, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
  • Jamie Nelson, DePaul University
  • Ann Lindsay, University of Chicago
  • Meghan Ryan, National Louis University
  • Bonnie Parr, co-chair, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum
  • Anne Thomason, co-chair, Lake Forest College

Members Absent:

  • Mary Burns, Northern Illinois University
  • Melanie Schoenborn, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville

Staff Attending:

  • Elizabeth Clarage

Staff Absent:

  • Nicole Swanson


  • CARLI Announcements:
    • The Director of  Systems Services at CARLI is leaving.
    • Annual meeting is Friday November 17th.
    • ACRL proposals open soon for the 2019 meeting in Cleveland; Elizabeth encourages members to think about presenting as there were not many topics on preservation at the last ACRL meeting
  • Member Announcements:
    • Bonnie announced that the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum has holiday exhibits on display as well as the Gettysburg Address will be on display for two weeks.


  • Preservation Resources Webliography
    • There are dead links in the disaster planning category that Anne will check.
  • Workshops and Open Houses
    • Workshop at the Illinois Fire Service Institute: CARLI is willing to support the entire day including having a fire professional presentation, hands-on fire extinguisher training, and the burn and recovery. We discussed June dates.
    • UC Open House: We are still waiting to hear on which dates work for the Oriental Institute. The library could accommodate any of those dates. We also need to secure a place to eat lunch.
    • Advanced Book Repair workshop: we discussed having a survey, where to have a workshop, who would teach it, and generally decided not to have a survey since it was not clear what we would learn from it, and if we could plan a workshop based on the results. Additionally the committee discussed a workshop based on scrapbooks.  The committee will continue this discussion at its next meeting.
  • Annual Project on Communicating the Value of Preservation
    • Jen has stated she is still willing to write her piece.
    • After discussion, the project was planned as follows:
      • September – Introduction (Melanie)
      • October – Skip
      • November – Environmental Monitoring (Bonnie) and Disaster Planning (Jen)
      • December – Facilities Managers (Anne)
      • January – Staff Training (Mary)
      • February – Digital Preservation (Ann Lindsay)
      • March – Student Workers (Melanie)
      • April – Users/Stakeholders Training  (Meghan)
      • May – Last Copy Program (Susan)
      • June – Elevator Speech (Jamie) and Conclusion (Ann Lindsay) (due end of May)


  • Anne Thomason was confirmed to take minutes.
  • The meeting adjourned at 11:30.

Tasks Assigned

  • Anne Thomason to talk to Jennifer Teper regarding fire workshop availability.
  • Ann Lindsay is taking over Jen Hunt Johnson’s webliography links.
  • Ann Lindsay will check with the University of Chicago’s Oriental Institute about having staggered tours so that the Open House might accommodate additional attendees.  She will also confirm what space may be available for lunch within the library.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

Schedule of Preservation Committee Meetings:

  • December 11, 2017:  10:00-11:30
  • January 8, 2018:  10:00-11:30
  • February 12, 2018:  10:00-11:30
  • March 12, 2018:  10:00-11:30
  • April 9, 2018:  10:00-11:30
  • May 14, 2018:  10:00-11:30
  • June 11, 2018:  10:00-11:30

Connection Information:
+1 (888) 983-3631 (toll-free)
+1 (217) 332-6338 (Local Urbana-Champaign number)
+1 (312) 994-8410 (Local Chicago number)
Conference ID: 5259711