Preservation Committee Meeting: October 11, 2016

Conference Call

Members attending:

  • Jenny Dunbar, College of DuPage
  • Jennifer Hunt Johnson, Illinois State University
  • Greg MacAyeal, Northwestern University
  • Beth McGowan, co-chair, Northern Illinois University
  • Bonnie Parr, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum
  • Meghan Ryan, National-Louis University
  • Anne Thomason, co-chair, Lake Forest College

Members absent:

  • Jamie Nelson, DePaul University
  • Melanie Schoenborn, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville

Staff attending:

  • Elizabeth Clarage
  • Anne Craig
  • Nicole Swanson


  • Melanie sent an announcement about a webinar of interest, occurring later today: Assessing Library Programs and Collections in Academic Libraries 2-3 PM CDT; Texas State Library and Archives Commission.
  • Barbara Wilson was appointed new, Executive Vice President and Vice President for Academic Affairs, of the University of Illinois system.
  • CARLI Annual Meeting will be November 18th, 2016 at the I-Hotel and Conference Center in Champaign. The Preservation Committee will present at the meeting.
  • The RFP for I-Share Next, a platform to replace Voyager, is being reviewed by UI Purchasing and the State Procurement Officer.


  • Annual Project
    • Disaster statistics were added as the April topic during the 9/12 meeting.
    • URL for the annual project:
    • September’s blog post (Melanie Schoenborn) has been successfully uploaded. It includes a link at the page bottom to connect individual posts to the entire project.
    • Jenny asked if all posts need to be in printable pamphlet form. They do not, though Greg mentioned that some topics do lend themselves to this format.
    • Greg presented his outline for the October post. All agreed it provided a good framework for topics to follow. He will work with Jenny to avoid redundancy for next month’s topic and include a teaser for continuity.
    • The topic of business continuity as a component of disaster response was raised (Greg). The suggestion was made to add it to Bonnie’s topic (Feb: Recovery from a disaster, techniques), or add it as a supplementary topic at the end of the year. Anne T. suggested this starts to involve IT, and larger institutional services, so the topic should be kept brief if mentioned at all within the scope of this project.
  • Webliography – no updates. Meghan requested clarification for the task. The task includes checking links and identifying or adding supplemental resources as needed. The Committee then reviews suggested additions.  Anne T. commented that this can be completed over the course of the year.
  • Events
    • Plans for a fall tour have been cancelled. The International Preservation Studies Center was unable to be reached in time, but will be reconsidered possibly next summer.
    • Spring Collections Care workshop – tentative date of April 10th/11th. Anne noted this conflicts with Midwest Archives Conference. The final call for supply donations is Friday. The Committee will confirm workshop details ASAP.
    • Summer Mold workshop – The Committee is still seeking a speaker. Bonnie offered the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library as a possible space dependent on identifying a mold expert. Speaker suggestions were put forward by Anne T., Bonnie and Greg with information to follow.
      • Anne – SAA Speakers Bureau
      • Bonnie – U of I Preservation, ask Miriam Centeno or Jennifer Hain Teper  for resources they have used
      • Greg – Field Museum
    • Question raised regarding available funding for programs
      • Anne Craig responded, as no state budget is in place past January, currently no funding is available for programs or any non-critical expenses.
      • Anne Thomason put forward the possibility of canceling the workshop if we are unable to compensate a speaker, though we will continue to seek out those willing to participate for free.
  • New business: none


  • Jen Hunt Johnson is taking minutes
  • Minutes of the 9/12/16 meeting have not yet been distributed. Minutes will be approved at the following meeting.
  • The Preservation Committee approved/accepted:
    • The annual project will use the same structure for the webpage as the Audio Visual / Media Preservation project, keeping a navigation bar on the side of the page.
    • July 2017 was accepted as a tentative date for the summer mold workshop.
  • The meeting was adjourned at 10:45 AM.

Tasks Assigned

  • Bonnie will decide by next meeting if she will include business continuity in her post for the annual project.
  • Jen will send out one last update and call for supplies, with response due by the end of the week to confirm plans for the spring Collections Care Workshop.
  • Anne, Bonnie and Greg will contact potential speakers for the summer 2017 mold workshop.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

  • Next Meeting: Monday, 11/14/16, 10:00-11:30, via conference call

Schedule of Preservation Committee Meetings:

  • December 12, 2016: 10:00 – 11:30
  • January 9, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30
  • February 13, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30
  • March 13, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30
  • April 10, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30
  • May 8, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30
  • June 12, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30

+1 888 983 3631 (toll-free)
+1 217 332 6338 (Local Urbana-Champaign number)
+1 312 994 8410 (Local Chicago number)

Conference ID: 55714588