Preservation Committee Meeting: July 11, 2016

Adobe Connect / Conference Call

Members attending:

•    Jenny Dunbar, College of DuPage
•    Jennifer Hunt Johnson, Illinois State University
•    Beth McGowan, co-chair, Northern Illinois University
•    Greg MacAyeal, Northwestern University
•    Jamie Nelson, DePaul University
•    Bonnie Parr, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum
•    Meghan Ryan, National-Louis University),
•    Melanie Schoenborn, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
•    Anne Thomason, co-chair, Lake Forest College

Staff attending:

•    Elizabeth Clarage
•    Nicole Swanson


•    Anne Craig
•    Susan Singleton


  • Minutes of the June 20, 2016 meeting were approved.  
  • The committee agreed that the group would rotate the minutes-taking going alphabetically by the name of each institution.
  • Spring Collections Care Workshop:  Illinois State University was offered as a venue; program TBD.
  • Summer 2017 workshop/event:  topic will relate to water and mold; discussion will be on the agenda for the next meeting.
  • Annual Project:  topic will relate to the theme of disaster planning; discussion of project activities and end product(s) will be on the agenda for the next meeting.
  • Burn Recovery Workshop at the Fire Services Institute:  postpone until 2018.
  • The Committee will meet on the following schedule:  the second Monday of each month from 10:00-11:30, except for October; due to possible conflicts with the Columbus Day holiday, October’s meeting will be held on the second Tuesday (the 11th) from 10:00 – 11:30.
  • Committee members broke for lunch at 12:15-1:15.  
  • Meeting was adjourned at 3:15 p.m.


  • Susan Singleton welcomed the new Preservation Committee and gave updates about the status of CARLI programs in relation to the state budget.  Though the budget situation is uncertain at present, CARLI is maintaining its current staff and will continue major programs this year.  The Preservation Committee can continue with its plans for forums, open houses, and Collections Care workshops – but should hold off on planning programs at locations that would involve large fees or complicated contracts.  The Preservation Committee may have an opportunity to present their annual project at the CARLI Annual Meeting.  This is the last Preservation Committee meeting Susan is attending as she is retiring.  The Committee expressed their appreciation of her work as CARLI Senior Director.
  • Anne Craig, incoming Senior Director, greeted the Preservation Committee and expressed interest in our programs.  She hopes to attend future meetings.
  • Bonnie Parr will give a preservation-related talk at the “Librarian’s Day” pre-conference held in conjunction with the Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference at Springfield.  The “Librarian’s Day” is scheduled for August 30, with the FGS conference held on August 31 through September 3.  The pre-conference includes sessions about genealogy resources for librarians, preservation care of family history collections and a tour of the Sangamon Valley Collection.  Registration costs $10 and includes lunch.  The conference website is


  • Overview – guidelines given for new CARLI committee members, links explained for Preservation Committee member communication, including how to find and add content to the Preservation Committee group web page.
  • Fall Open House – tentatively planned for Northwestern University; there may be an issue with the availability of preservation staff to host the program.
  • Spring Collections Care Workshop – Jen offered the Preservation Department at Illinois State University as a venue, so long as participants were limited to 15 maximum; the scope of the program was discussed, tentatively including a small hands-on activity, lecture, and/or Powerpoint presentation.
  • Summer 2017 Workshop/event – possible topics relating to disasters, planning, and recovery were discussed, narrowed down to a focus on dealing with water and mold; reference made to a forum on mold remediation held in 2013.
  • Last year’s Annual Project review – positives included the focus on a single theme, how the theme was tied-in with the Preservation Tips, blogs, and the Annual Project, and the resulting content built into the final report; negatives included confusion on how the project was defined/laid out and how much work was involved in documenting the yearlong case studies.
  • This year’s Annual Project – the topic of disaster planning was agreed on by committee members; there was discussion about the pros and cons of various possible end products for the project (written mini-pamphlets, podcasts, webinars, monthly interactive online discussions, creating a website or web pages) and discussion on which sub-topics to cover in the Preservation Tips and Blogs.

Tasks Assigned

  • Bonnie Parr took minutes for the meeting.
  • Greg, Anne, Beth, Elizabeth, and Nicole will discuss plans for the Fall Open House, depending on availability of Northwestern University preservation staff and report back to the Committee at its August meeting.
  • Jen and Bonnie will work on an agenda/program for the Spring Collections Care workshop and report back to the Committee at its August meeting.
  • Newsletter Preservation Tips and Blog Articles assignments (related to disaster planning):
    • 1st week of August (Beth – Introduction to the project)
    • 1st week of September (Melanie – Types of Midwest disasters)
    • 1st week of October (Greg – Getting started with a disaster plan)
    • 1st week of November (Jenny – Creating a plan)
    • 1st week of December (Jen – In-house management)
    • 1st week of January (Meghan – Tools/emergency kit [supplies])
    • 1st week of February (Bonnie – Recovery from a disaster, techniques)
    • 1st week of March (Jamie – Midwest and regional vendors)
    • 1st week of April (Anne - Conclusion)
    • May (TBD)
    • June (TBD)
  • Preservation Webliography assignments
    • Assessment Planning (Melanie)
    • Audio-visual Preservation (Greg)
    • Blogs and Listservs (Nicole)
    • Book Repair and Conservation (Bonnie)
    • Digital Preservation and Digitization for Preservation (Jamie)
    • Disaster Planning and Response (Anne)
    • Exhibits (Jenny)
    • General Preservation and Conservation Resources Sites (Elizabeth and Greg)
    • Glossaries (Anne)
    • Grants and Development (Jenny)
    • Legal Issues (Jen)
    • Library Binding (Melanie)
    • Mold, Pests, and the Environment (Jenny)
    • Protective Enclosures and Storage (Meghan)
    • Special Collections and Archives (Beth)
    • Supply Vendors (Bonnie)
    • Training (Beth)
  • Minutes assignments
    • July 11, 2016 (Bonnie, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum)
    • August 8, 2016 (Jenny, College of DuPage)
    • September 12, 2016 (Jamie, DePaul University)
    • October 11, 2016 (Jen, Illinois State University)
    • November 14, 2016 (Anne, Lake Forest College)
    • December 12, 2016 (Meghan, National-Louis University)            
    • January 9, 2017 (Beth, Northern Illinois University)            
    • February 13, 2017 (Greg, Northwestern University)            
    • March 13, 2017 (Melanie, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville)            
    • April 10, 2017 (TBD)            
    • May 8, 2017 (TBD)
    • June 12, 2017 (TBD)

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

Connection Information:
+1 217 332 6338
+1 312 994 8410
+1 888 983 3631 (toll-free)  
Conference ID:  55714588

  • August 8, 2016: 10:00 – 11:30
  • September 12, 2016: 10:00 – 11:30
  • October 11, 2016: 10:00 – 11:30
  • November 14, 2016: 10:00 – 11:30
  • December 12, 2016: 10:00 – 11:30
  • January 9, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30
  • February 13, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30
  • March 13, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30
  • April 10, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30
  • May 8, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30
  • June 12, 2017: 10:00 – 11:30
  •  Annual Project – due at end of May 2017