Preservation Committee Meeting: July 17, 2015

CARLI Office, Champaign

Members attending:

  • Patrick Brown, Southern Illinois University Carbondale
  • Miriam Centeno, co-chair, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
  • Jenny Dunbar, College of DuPage
  • Gregory MacAyeal, Northwestern University
  • Beth McGowan, co-chair, Northern Illinois University
  • Melanie Schoenborn, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
  • Michael Starasta, Lincoln College
  • Anne Thomason, Lake Forest College

Members absent: None

Staff attending:

  • Elizabeth Clarage
  • Nicole Swanson


  • Susan Singleton


  • Jenny is presenting a workshop on preserving your family history next Thursday at College of DuPage.
  • Miriam announced that the UI Preservation Self-Assessment Program (PSAP) is about ready and a soft launch has begun. PSAP is a free online preservation assessment tool to help collection managers prioritize their preservation needs.
  • Jenny asked about ArchivesSpace and a brief discussion ensued of this system that will integrate Archivists’ Toolkit and Archon.
  • Patrick informed the committee that he is a member of the ALA Preservation Administrators and Reformatting Section new member roundtable.
  • Elizabeth announced that committee member Angela Jordan resigned from the committee. Recommendations for new members were requested.
  • Susan Singleton updated the committee on the CARLI budget.


  • It was noted that CARLI has a program planning committee to work with if planning an event that requires paying someone. They will need 6 months lead time. Other types of programs need upto 4 months of planning.
  • The committee discussed the IFSI Burn Simulation and Recovery Workshop held on July 16, 2015. The group felt that the workshop was successful.
  • The committee held a lengthy discussion about the committee workload and focus for this year with Miriam and Beth suggesting more coordination of all projects based on the survey results, with one focus for the year instead of many different focuses. Decisions and tasks resulting from this discussion are noted in those sections of the minutes.
  • The committee discussed the fall open house, which may happen at the University of Chicago, who can offer a half day tour.


  • Minutes from the June 2, 2015 meeting were approved.
  • The committee decided to focus on Preservation of Audio-Visual Materials for the upcoming year. Each newsletter tip or blog post will feature a different aspect on the subject. Patrick and Anne will write case studies on their efforts to preserve audio-visual materials at their institutions using the steps suggested by the committee. Each month along with resources on the given subject, Patrick and Anne will be interviewed to discuss how their efforts are going. Topics to be covered and their author:
    • 1.Introduction: Greg, August
    • 2. Inventories
      • Video (tape, disc, beta, laser,): Melanie, September
      • Film (16 mm, 35mm, filmstrips, microfilm): Beth, October
      • Still image: Jenny, November
      • Sound (cassette, lp etc.): Greg, December
    • 3. Assessment/Care: Miriam, January
    • 4. Reformatting
      • Digitization/New Prints: Mike, February
    • 5. Disaster Planning: Miriam, March
    • 6. Grant Writing: Melanie, April
  • The tips will be written in the third person, and the case studies in the first person.
  • Monthly meeting scheduled for the 3rd Monday of the month at 10:00 AM with exceptions for December (2nd Monday) and January (4th Monday).

Tasks Assigned

  • Anne volunteered to take minutes.
  • Greg is writing the newsletter burb about the Burn Recovery Workshop.
  • Nicole will send out the survey results to the committee again.
  • Miriam will double-check the dates for the fall open house, which likely will occur at the University of Chicago.
  • Elizabeth has not heard back from Center for Research Libraries and will try one more time.
  • Changes made to web resources checking:
    • Melanie: Assessment Planning, Library Binding
    • Patrick: Digital Preservation and Digitization for Presentation; Legal Issues
    • Mike: grants and development
    • Anne: glossaries
  • Any URL updates for the Webliography need to be sent to Nicole and Elizabeth.
  • Elizabeth and Nicole will send out the meeting schedule based on the 3rd Monday of the month, and include any exception (for example, possibly in December and for other holidays)
  • The committee will decide at the next meeting if and where an in person meeting in the spring will be held.
  • Miriam will be checking with someone who may be able to offer a free workshop on preservation of audio visual materials in the spring
  • Miriam will send us info about the half day workshop at the University of Chicago; by next Friday July 24, we will give feedback.

Next Meeting

Conference Call, Monday August 17, 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM