Open Educational Resources Task Force Meeting: April 16, 2019

Conference Call

Members Attending: Annette Alvarado (Loyola University Chicago), Anne Chernaik (College of Lake County), Elizabeth Nelson (McHenry County College), Anne Shelley, co-chair (Illinois State University), Sue Shultz (DePaul University), Janet Swatscheno (University of Illinois at Chicago), Linda Zellmer (Western Illinois University)

Members Absent: Sara Benson (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign), Connie Ghinazzi (Augustana College), Kathy Ladell, co-chair (Northern Illinois University)

Staff Attending: Elizabeth Clarage


  • Anne Chernaik will take minutes.
  • March minutes approved with changes:
    • Decision on geographic limitation to meeting.
    • Remove Illinois limitation in minutes edit.
  • The Task Force will discuss a recommendation for the CARLI Board about OER at its next meeting. Could include where to focus time, how Task Force fits into the state OER movement, etc.

Tasks Assigned

  • OER Worskhop speakers should send Anne Shelley a brief bio for introductions.
  • Elizabeth will contact UIUC to ask if the Sarah Cohen talk will be recorded.


  • Member Announcements
    • Sue (DePaul) – holding a faculty focus group to get faculty perspectives on OER, print textbook collection, etc.  Targeting introductory classroom faculty with expensive textbooks.  Tentative date in May
    • Janet (University of Illinois at Chicago) – Currently at Textbook Affordability Conference that is linked to Bookstore professional organization.  Covering inclusive access, rental models, OER.  Inclusive access is a system that offers discounts for eTextbooks where books are charged (automatically) directly to the student unless they opt out.  Public colleges in Illinois cannot do this because of regulations although there could be an opt-in model.  A limited time access that varies by publisher.  Profit versus affordability.
    • Linda (Western Illinois University) – Center for Application of Information Technologies will be meeting.  Offer services like GED (etc) to various places like prisons and more.  They are looking for free or inexpensive materials to help but the materials cannot be internet based.
    • Anne Shelley (Illinois State University) – Met with developmental math faculty to discuss options through OpenStax and other places.  Currently use a commercial product that includes a wealth of ancillary materials.  Textbook Affordability Committee sent out a survey to students last week (thanks for the help Sue!) and have currently received about 500 responses so far.
    • Anne Chernaik (College of Lake County) – Mention of collaboration between Illinois groups.  Will gather information for next meeting for discussion.
  • CARLI Updates
    • Regular phone meeting with ILCO, NILRC, CARLI, etc.  Recent meeting - Jeff Newell spoke about meeting with government.  Page Wolf and Denise Cote are looking at doing a survey of OER activity.  NILRC is going to be discussing OER at their next meeting.  Elizabeth will send out minutes from this meeting to the Task Force for informational purposes.
    • Call out from Open Textbook Network about Summer Institute.  We do not get one free attendance yearly – only the first year.  Anyone who attends under the CARLI name should be working on state wide initiatives.  
    • Collection Management Committee is conducting a pilot project on open access eBooks.  Working to identify, review, and modify records of collections that would be added centrally with an opt-in for I-Share members.  First collection was a JSTOR collection with 5100 records loaded in March.  The next three open access eBook collections are Project Muse, Springer Nature, and Luminos.


  • Upcoming TF Events
    • Workshop at Loyola (April 29):
      • There are current 55 registered for the event.
      • There is still time for speakers to get handouts to CARLI. Please do so by the end of the day on Thursday 4/18.
      • Anne S. will introduce  the speakers. Please send her short bios.
  • eText Conference Call (May 14th, 1 p.m.)
    • The CITL staff will walk OERTF members through the eText system.
    • OERTF will have the opportunity to ask questions.
    • This relates to the SCOER proposal.
  • Will Sarah Cohen presentation be recorded? Not sure if the room where the presentation is held has that capability. Elizabeth will contact UIUC about the possibility.
  • Illinois SCOER Proposal
    • eText Discussion – part of SCOER grant would be to fund eText for faculty/student access for CARLI members.
    • The discussion rescheduled for after eText Conference Call.

Next Meeting

Next meeting time: Tuesday, May 21 @ 1 p.m.