Open Educational Resources Committee Meeting: October 4, 2022

Zoom / Conference Call

Members attending: Dorinne Banks (Adler University), Amber Burtis (Southern Illinois University Carbondale), Catherine Galarza-Espino (Morton College), Kim Hale (Columbia College Chicago), Lauren Kosrow (College of DuPage), Dan Matthews, co-chair (Moraine Valley Community College), Christina Norton (Bradley University), Dee Anna Phares (Northern Illinois University, Tineka Scalzo, co-chair (City Colleges of Chicago), Chris Sweet (Illinois Wesleyan University)

CARLI Staff attending: Elizabeth Clarage, Anne Craig, Michele Leigh, Nicole Swanson


  • Elizabeth Clarage will edit minor typos in the September minutes.
  • September minutes were approved.
  • The meeting adjourned at 12:50pm.

Tasks Assigned

  • Amber Burtis will take minutes.


  • Member Announcements:
    • Tineka Scalzo (City Colleges of Chicago): Received $10,000 for OER awards. Had 5 faculty submit proposals. All approved for $2,000 each. Projects are to create ancillaries for OER they are already using.
    • Christina Norton (Bradley University): Have nine applicants for their OER mini-grants. Should be able to give award to all.
    • Amber Burtis (Southern Illinois University Carbondale): Awarded all 5 faculty applicants with an OER grant.
    • Lauren Kosrow (College of DuPage): Severn projects awarded for Fall. Opened application for Spring projects.
  • CARLI Announcements:


  • Continuing Education
    • Please note your availability on spreadsheet so CARLI staff can finalize.
    • September OER Faculty Workshop: 59 registered, 40 attended, 19 sent invitations to write review.
    • OER Office Hours: Christina taking minutes for October Office Hours and will lead in November with the tentative topic of Assessing OER.
    • Open Education Week: Michele will start nailing down dates for Illinois SCOERs recipients to talk about projects. Kim suggested topics related to student use of OER, student reflections of OER, and student experiences with OER. Ideas were thrown out about a moving forward a conversation about Zero Textbook Cost degree programs in Illinois. Decided to add it to a future agenda and send the question to CARLI OER email list. Suggestion to talk about it during Open Education Week too. Will need to flush ideas out at the next meeting so we can finalize them by December. Matthew will send out the ideas from the September minutes to push off the discussion.
    • Creative Commons Certificate Bootcamp: will keep the survey open until the end of October. The survey currently has 19 responses.
  • OER Advocacy
    • CARLI Student Course Materials Affordability Survey: First meeting of the subcommittee is October 26 at 1pm. Let CARLI staff know if want to attend.
    • OER Basics program with SPARC and student panel: No new information to report. Kim may know of students who could participate.
  • Open Illinois OER Commons Hub: Chris, Elizabeth, Matthew, Tineka will be presenting on the Hub at ILA on October 19 at 3pm. Elizabeth asked if we should do a working session on populating Hub pages. Michele suggested a “Hub-athon” event. Tineka suggested example pages might be useful to share at the event. There was a suggestion to use it like a “ribbon cutting” for Illinois SCOERs awardees.    
  • OEN Certificate in OER Librarianship Program: The funding is built into the CARLI budget for this year, so the Committee doesn’t need to go to the CARLI Program Planning Committee for funds. There are 12 registrants for the informal discussion session on October 13, 10-11am with former Certificate Program participants. It won’t be recorded but notes will be taken. Dee Anna suggested asking former participants to make themselves available for one-on-one conversation with interested people.
  • DOE Open Pilot Grant: Illinois SCOERs: Support for the Creation of Open Educational Resources: Holding a workshop on October 21 at 11am (Creating h5p for OER). There will also be a meeting at the end of October where all awardee groups will give presentation on their work so far. Applications are due November 1 for Round 2.
  • CARLI Annual Meeting: Dan is giving an update on the committee’s work at the CARLI Annual Meeting. Kim Hale volunteered to assist. If anyone else wants to work on it with him please let him know.
  • Future Topic: Dan wanted to bring up the idea of doing some programming on “Understanding Inclusive Access from an OER Standpoint.” Will be added as a future agenda item. Nicole Allen was mentioned as a good speaker on the topic. Lauren said that Academic Deans would be a good audience for this topic and that ICCCA would be a good venue/audience.  
  • Website Update: Tineka said that we need to add the website editing project to the next agenda. And that we could add Inclusive Access Resources to the website.

Next Meeting Dates and Deadlines

The next committee meeting is Tuesday, November 1, 2022, at 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

Committee Meetings:
December 6, 2022, 11:30 a.m. -1:00 p.m., Minutes: Kim Hale
January 3, 2023, 11:30 a.m. -1:00 p.m., Minutes: Dorinne Banks
February 7, 2023, 11:30 a.m. -1:00 p.m., Minutes: Christina Norton
March 7, 2023, 11:30 a.m. -1:00 p.m., Minutes: Dee Anna Phares
April 4, 2023, 11:30 a.m. -1:00 p.m., Minutes: Chris Sweet
May 2, 2023, 11:30 a.m. -1:00 p.m., Minutes: Lauren Kosrow
June 6, 2023, 11:30 a.m. -1:00 p.m., Minutes: