Open Educational Resources Committee Meeting: May 19, 2022

Zoom / Conference Call

Members attending: Amber Burtis (Southern Illinois University Carbondale), Catherine Galarza-Espino (Morton College), Kim Hale (Columbia College Chicago), Dan Matthews, co-chair (Moraine Valley Community College)

Members absent: Denise Cote (College of DuPage), Christina Norton (Bradley University), Tineka Scalzo (City Colleges of Chicago), Janet Swatscheno (University of Illinois Chicago), Chris Sweet, co-chair (Illinois Wesleyan University), Tamara Townsend (City Colleges of Chicago)

CARLI Staff attending: Anne Craig, Nicole Swanson

Board Liaisons: Jacob Jeremiah (Oakton Community College)


  • Committee members who volunteered to do an Office Hours in the fall should come to next meeting with dates/times they will be available in the fall (Amber, Kim, Catherine, Dan).

Tasks Assigned

  • Minutes taken by Amber Burtis.


  • Member Announcements:
    • Kim Hale (Columbia College Chicago): She is now a member of Ex LIBRAS SIG (special interest group).
    • Dan Matthews (Moraine Valley Community College): Over the summer working on integrating OER into textbook/course catalog.
  • CARLI Announcements:
    • Nicole: three new OER committee members. Submitting Open Ed conference proposal for Open Illinois Initiative with Elizabeth and Michele. Reminded us that we need to decide new chair for this committee at our next meeting.
    • Anne: She did a presentation about SCOERs to the College Course Materials Affordability and Equitable Access Task Force. There were other presentations by SPARC, Amy Spies, Sarah Benson, Jeff Newell, Denise Cote, among others. Nicole also attended and she said that it was a great introduction to OER for the task force.
    • Anne: She has been in touch with UIUC’s legislative office for advocacy training for this committee. She’s working to set dates and will be in touch when she knows more. She has also been given permission to advertise another round of SCOERs funding after CARLI/UIUC received another conditional grant of $1 million from the Department of Education.


  • CARLI OER Course going on now. Nicole said it’s going well.
    • Chris and Kim prepping a parallel session.
  • Next OER Faculty Workshop needs to be scheduled. Should we do summer or fall? Nicole said we did one towards the end of June last year but attendance was low. She suggested waiting until Fall. Kim agreed. Will discuss at the next committee meeting.
  • Open OER Office Hours: last office hours took place. Notes are in Box. Catherine suggested inviting some of the engaged attendees from that office hours to join this committee.
  • We’re out of topics for office hours for fall. Need to start brainstorming topics. Ideas with volunteers in paranthesis: Open Illinois Hub, Open Ed week programming (maybe Kim), Collaborating with other institutions, Creative commons (maybe Catherine), OER and DEIA (Dan), Faculty incentive programs (Amber), creative commons (maybe Catherine). We will schedule these at the next meeting. Volunteers should come back with some dates/times they will be available.
  • Future OER offerings: Ideas included more advanced “201 OER” offerings, a creative commons program, Open Illinois Hub training on regular basis (i.e., basics and getting people acclimatized and set-up and then an open office hour for troubleshooting their questions). Nicole would like to do a program on student involvement in OER movement. She asked for ideas for speakers and Kim said she would look into a speaker she saw at a previous conference.
  • Dan said that the Open Illinois Hub presentation was accepted for ILA.
  • Elizabeth is leading the charge on a creative commons Bootcamp. Chris has developed survey questions to send out to institutions related to Creative Commons.
  • Illinois SCOERs: Anne said announcements are coming next week about SCOERs recipients. Looking to do another round of applications. Dan asked if committee can be involved. Anne said yes, and that staff are looking at how to improve the application process. Staff will come to the committee about changes before the next round in order to get input. The application period will probably open up in June-July with funded projects starting in December/January.
  • OER Advocacy training session: Possible dates/times are:
    • 6/27 8:30am-10am, 3pm-4pm
    • 6/28 11am-12pm
    • 6/29 1:30pm-4pm
    • 6/30 8:30am-10:30am, 3pm-4pm
    • Anne will send a note to the email list when more details are available.
  • Statement to College Course Materials Affordability and Equitable Access Task Force: Dan brought statement to ILA board with Diane Foote. Just got an email that they approved signing onto the statement. He asked if CARLI or the OER Committee should make the statement to the Task Force. Anne said she would like to talk to her boss about that. Jacob said that the statement to the task force is outstanding. He would endorse and hopes it reaches the CARLI Board too. If they don’t, individual member library deans would likely sign on to this agreement. Anne agreed that would be a good idea. Dan said he likes that idea and it’s ideal. Jacob then went on to say that he would take it to the board as the liaison for this committee. The next CARLI board meeting is June 10 so it probably needs to be out by June 3 to get on agenda. Dan will add a statement that ILA has given their support to this. Dan will send out another email to committee to take one more look at the statement. Anne said the CARLI board can give suggestions/edits.
  • Annual report: Dan asked questions of the committee and CARLI staff so that he could update some details of the Annual Report.
  • New business:
    • OER webpage review: Nicole said to send comments about the CARLI OER webpage to the committee list-serv. Dan said we will devote significant time at the next meeting for this topic.

Next Meeting Dates and Deadlines

The next committee meeting is June 16, 2022 at 1-2:30pm.

Adjournment at 2:10pm