I-Share Next Task Force, January 16, 2015

CARLI Office, Champaign

Members attending: Pat Boze (Illinois State Library), Anita Foster (Illinois State University), Cindy Fuller (Millikin University), Kristine Hammerstrand (CARLI), Tammy Kuhn-Schnell (Lincoln Land Community College), Tami Luedtke (DePaul University), Michael Norman (University of Illinois Urbana Champaign), Ted Schwitzner (CARLI), Matthew Short (Northern Illinois University), Susan Singleton (CARLI), Connie Walsh (CARLI), Suzanne Wilson (Illinois Wesleyan University)

Members absent: Tom Goetz (Harper College)

Staff attending: Margaret Chambers, Brandon Gant

Guests: none.

Meeting Overview:

The meeting began with several announcements, including the schedule of the vendor webinars. Kris received commitments from five vendors using signupgenius.com. Kris and Susan provided updates on CARLI activities related to budget planning. Brandon offered an update on Systems Services work with open source systems.

The Task Force then discussed plans for expanding communications on the I-Share Next process. Margaret Chambers provided an overview of what we already have, including a FAQ page on the CARLI website, and the ability to provide a means for feedback through comments. The TF decided that I-Share Next should be included in the “Products and Services” menu on the website. TF members will need to begin providing updates to the FAQ page, and routinely check for and answer comments. Margaret suggested that she could create a group account, for members to post and respond as the group; or members could create accounts for the website that are specific to their role on the task force.

Members then discussed the kind of feedback that the TF would find useful from the vendor webinars. CARLI staff will create a survey that includes basic questions covering what consortial functionality or features viewers found appealing, disappointing, or lacking. The survey may include a question getting at anything viewers perceive in the products that may transform library work. The survey will request demographics on functional area and staff level.

The group followed with a review of the "Describing" task area of the RFP. Matt Short reviewed the organization and thought process on the working document. TF members expanded on the content, such that this document may be expanded upon further by a working group.

Over lunch, members identified some new education interests. Specifically, members identified a NISO group that is exploring discovery service integration with library management systems. The TF may want to contact a member of this group, possibly even Marshall Breeding. Ted Schwitzner then described a survey tool that the I-Share Systems Committee created in 2013-2014 covering systems interoperability needs. Ted reviewed the background of the survey and its goals to provide details to CARLI and to the ISN process regarding products that libraries and their host institutions use that should be expected to function with I-Share Next. The survey need not be distributed at this time, but we need to be mindful of these areas as we compile the RFP. We possibly may want to have data on these areas before we score the RFP.

The TF concluded with a review of the "Sharing" task area of the RFP. Sue and Pat introduced the work effort so far, noting that the content is driven by front line operations needs, and so far is based on keeping existing functionality and advancing. TF members amended the document. Sue, Pat, and Tom will re-edit the section to include "I-Share Next will/should" language on components.


  • The TF will expand on the I-Share Next web page. The webpage will include a frequently asked questions list, regular updates following TF meetings, information on the vendor webinars, and calls for volunteers. Posts will be open for comments; any staff member at a vendor library may apply for a website account.
  • CARLI staff will use the I-Share Announce mailing list to updates on the ISN process and to direct people to the website.
  • Kris and Ted will send the call for volunteers for working groups in conjunction with the webinar announcement. The call will emphasize that volunteers should expect an active and frequent time commitment between now and June, with meeting held online or as conference call.
  • The TF will have and online discussion regarding the working groups that we expect to need. These discussions will cover what roles the TF members should have in the working groups.


  • Webinars: five vendors have scheduled into webinar time slots on four days. Kris reviewed the announcement that we will send to the I-Share Announce list. Dates and times are:

Tuesday, January 27, 10am-noon;Ex Libris Alma

Tuesday, February 10, 10am-noon; OCLC WorldShare Management Services

Wednesday, February 11, 2pm-4pm; Innovative Interfaces Sierra

Friday, Feburary 13, 10am-noon, ProQuest Intota

Friday, Feburary 13, 2-4pm, SirsiDynix BLUEcloud Campus

  • Kris shared a document, “A Day in the Life of CARLI,” containing an overview of CARLI activities during a representative date in October. CARLI staff prepared this document as a part of budget planning activities.
  • The CARLI Board met on January 16, 2015, and decided to open an application period for libraries to join I-Share. Any new libraries would join I-Share with a target implementation date of Summer 2016.
  • Brandon reported that CARLI Systems Services has finished its testing of Kuali OLE and open source systems for the present. The group is currently focused on Shibboleth, and they will turn to the Voyager 9.1 upgrade shortly. There is no timetable at present for a VuFind 2.4 implementation.
  • Kris contacted Carlen Ruschoff of the University of Maryland about her involvement with Kuali OLE’s development of consortial functionality. The two will meet during the ALA Midwinter Conference.

Tasks assigned:

  • Revise language on "Sharing" category document to include "I-Share Next will" or "I-Share Next should" language (Sue, Pat, Tom)
  • Post webinar information to I-Share Announce (Kris, Ted, Margaret)
  • Create and post webinar follow-up survey (Ted)
  • Share information on the ISNTF FAQ page to I-Share Announce (Kris, Ted, Margaret)
  • Review and comment on "Describing" task area document (all)
  • Review and comment on "Sharing" task area document (all)

Continuing tasks:

  • Kris and Ted will send the call for volunteers to specification-draft teams, active working period estimated for February to May of 2015
  • TF Assignment: Work in teams to draft specification concepts for the areas of “Working”
    • Knowledge bases, Selecting, Acquiring: Anita, Cindy, Tami, Tammy
  • TF Assignment: CARLI User Services to draft specifications for the area of “Implementing”
  • Susan to contact the OLE Board

Meeting Dates and Deadlines:

  • Next Meeting: Friday, February 20, 2015, CARLI Office, Champaign
    • The TF will review and develop the “Acquiring” and “Selecting” task area documents
  • Schedule of I-Share Next Task Force Meetings:
  • Friday, March 20, 2015, CARLI Office, Champaign
  • Friday, April 17, 2015, CARLI Office, Champaign
  • Following on the third Friday of each month
  • The TF will consider the possibility of and timing for a two day meeting