Instruction Committee Meeting Minutes: December 19, 2016

Location: Conference call

Members attending: Colleen Bannon (Heartland Community College), Larissa Garcia (Northern Illinois University), Christina Heady (Southern Illinois University Carbondale), April Purcell Levy (Columbia College Chicago), Matthew Olsen (Millikin University), Chelsea Van Riper (Principia College)
Members absent: Mackenzie Salisbury (School of the Art Institute of Chicago), Lora Smallman (Southern Illinois University Edwardsville), Anne Zald (Northwestern University)
Staff attending: Debbie Campbell, Lorna Engels

Discussion & Decisions

  • Debbie has completed work on the Toolkit web pages. She added dispositions to the session descriptions when the presenter provided them.
    • Larissa asked if there could be a disclaimer explaining this. She will provide Debbie with the language for this disclaimer.
  • Debbie pointed out that the bibliography on the Toolkit homepage may need to be updated given the rescinding of the Standards, etc.
    • A volunteer will be solicited at the January meeting to review the bibliography.  
  • A location for the 2017 Showcase has not been found yet. Lorna has contacted Amy Walker at Joliet, but hasn’t heard back.
    • Benedictine and National Louis University were discussed as possible locations.
  • Amy Van Epps (Purdue University) provided a revised description of her spring webinar, which everyone liked. The committee settled on a possible date of March 9 at 1-2pm (2-3pm EST).
    • Larissa will confirm the time/date with her and also work on an updated title for the webinar.
    • The registration page and email need to be ready one month prior to the event, i.e., around the first week of February.
    • Someone will have to volunteer at the next meeting to work on writing up the email.
  • Based on feedback from the Annual CARLI meeting, several members would like CARLI to develop a repository of handouts, tutorials, LibGuides, etc. that librarians are using with their classes.
    • The committee was tasked with deciding if such a repository would be worthwhile. If it were to be adopted, CARLI staff would create the repository and would post materials to it, and the committee would provide feedback on the usability of the repository’s structure and formatting.
    • The committee discussed that while such a repository could possibly be helpful, it would be hard to keep current and could be very time consuming to create and maintain. There are already other repositories out there, e.g., PRIMO, as well as teaching material created by the vendors, and perhaps it would be better to provide a tutorial/webinar to show how to access these materials.
    • This topic will be discussed at the January meeting and a decision made at that time.
  • The meeting was adjourned at 2:35 pm.

Tasks assigned

  • All committee members should review Debbie’s additions to the Toolkit web pages and relay any feedback.
  • Larissa will provide Debbie with a disclaimer for the Toolkit explaining that the only sessions that have associated dispositions are those where the presenter provided them.
  • Lorna will investigate Benedictine and National Louis University as possible Showcase locations.
  • Larissa will contact Amy Van Epps to confirm the webinar time, date, and title.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

  • Next Meeting: Friday, January 27, 2017 at 10am (conference call)