I-CAT Team Meeting: August 20, 2012

CARLI Office

Meeting convened at 10:00 a.m.

Members attending: Lori Murphy (DPU) Chair; Lynnette Fields (SIE), Susan Gallagher (UIS), Dennis McGuire (COL), Deborah Morris (ROU), Kavita Mundle (UIC), Heather Parisi (DOM), Catherine Suchy (JOL), John Whisler (EIU)

Members attending via phone: Edith List (PRC, IUG Liaison)

Staff attending: Cathy Salika (CARLI staff liaison) and Casey Sutherland

CARLI staff attending via phone: Jessica Gibson

  • Selection of minute taker:  Minute takers will be assigned alphabetically


  • Welcome from Susan Singleton, CARLI Executive Director: Production server is now in Champaign and the disaster recovery server is at UI Springfield.  CARLI is getting a new website. It should be up and running by mid October.  The Board has decided to reorganize its Committee structure. Committee membership will no longer be limited to I-Share members.  The transition will take place next summer.  The XC modules are almost completed except for the Discovery module being worked on at the University of Rochester.  CARLI is making minimal VuFind changes.
  • Schedule for 2012/2013 meetings: ICAT meetings will be the first Monday of each month from 1:30-3:00 and will usually be via conference call. No meeting in September.  The next meeting will be October 1.
  • Approval of minutes: minutes from the July 22, 2012 meeting were approved.

Old business

  • RDA training: Continued the discussion from the July 25th meeting. Cathy distributed an RDA Training Opportunities List. Team members reported on RDA training they have attended and would recommend. Cathy announced that CARLI will be sponsoring training. It was decided that two levels of training are needed: copy cataloging and original cataloging. Cathy will send an email to the Technical Services list asking for input on RDA training members have attended. We decided to concentrate on copy cataloging training this fall and original cataloging training in the spring
    • ICAT Tasks to do now (will probably be done in emails to Technical Services list)\
    • Remind people to purchase the RDA Tool Kit (Cathy will do immediately)
    • Invite updates to RDA training wiki
    • Give an expectation of CARLI’s training plans: a series of webinars in the fall aimed at copy catalogers, in person training this spring for original catalogers
  • ICAT Interim Recommendations for Managing RDA Data in I-Share: Document was last revised July 29, 2011. We reviewed it and determined it was still valid and useful.
  • PCC acceptable headings: Cathy reported that almost every authority record will be modified. The changed authority records will be loaded into each catalog, but bibliographic records will still need to be modified. Discussion on how libraries can clean up their bibliographic records using Strawn utilities.

Fall forum discussion

  • We discussed recommending canned RDA training. ICAT members will view these training webinars before the October meeting and be prepared to make recommendations:
    • Changes from AACR2 to RDA. part 1: http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/cat/020211
    • Changes from AACR2 to RDA. Part 2: http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/cat/020911
    • FRBR as a foundation for RDA: http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/cat/121510
  • When viewing the webinars think about what we determined to be the Top 7 Differences between AACR2 and RDA, and if the training addresses those:
    • Rule of 3
    • No more abbreviations
    • Coping with authority changes
    • 3XX fields and GMD
  • Relator terms/codes
  • Fixed fields
  • 245 transcription
  • We could give viewers the opportunity to send in their questions to us and time could be set aside at the beginning of the “RDA in the I-Share Environment” webinar for answering those questions.
  • ICAT will develop an “RDA in the I-Share Environment” webinar.  Possible topics:
    • Questions from training webinars
    • Unicode
    • VuFind and Web Voyage Classic – What’s going to change – How do things look if your library has not been doing authority control
    • What to do with RDA authority records
    • What to do with non-RDA authorities
    • Tools – If you want to do authority clean-up

Casey, John and Kavita volunteered to start working on the webinar

Spring forum discussion

It was suggested that we come up with speakers first and then try to find a date.  March or April were suggested as possibilities. Discussion on having two forums: Chicago area and downstate. Spring forum will be aimed at RDA original cataloging in multiple formats.

Meeting adjourned at 1:50.

Submitted by Lynnette Fields