Collections Working Group Meeting: December 9, 2011

Erikson Institute, Chicago

Members attending: Chad Buckley, Illinois State University; Kim Fournier, William Rainey Harper College; David Green, Northeastern Illinois University; Karen Janke, Erikson Institute; Harriet Lightman, Northwestern University; Jim Millhorn, Northern Illinois University; Lydia Morrow Ruetten, Chair, Governors State University; Todd Spires, Bradley University; Bill Thompson, Western Illinois University (by phone)

Members absent: Mary Hollerich, Lewis University

Staff attending: Elizabeth Clarage, CARLI

Minutes: Kim

There were no additions or changes to the agenda.


  • GSU is in the news. The last upper-level 2-year institution in the country will become a 4-year in 2014. In the fall of 2014 GSU will start 270 students as the initial 4-year freshman cohort. GSU has another faculty librarian retiring, making three open library positions.
  • Harper College has an entry-level faculty librarian search underway; must have Circulation and supervisory experience.
  • Northern had a failed search for an Associate Dean for Public Services. It was a thin pool of candidates. Northern is also looking for a metadata librarian.
  • Elizabeth noted that Mary Burkee is now on staff at CARLI, she was previously at the UIUC library.
  • Elizabeth reported that the tentative start date for the Patron Driven Acquisitions project will be January 10, 2012. (Humanities and Social Sciences titles funded up to $70K). All the records will be loaded into the resources database and will only show up in the union catalog. The holdings records will be transferred to the Urbana catalog, or created on the fly for Urbana’s catalog. Kim asked if monographic serials are included in the profile. Elizabeth responded by saying that numbered series are in the profile, but numbered sets are not.

Dave asked if the language on the CARLI site is the most comprehensive statement on the PDA project. To Elizabeth’s knowledge, yes.

Elizabeth reiterated that the items will be owned by CARLI. There will be electronic book plates noting that ownership. In the pilot that ran a year ago, materials arrived within 1.5 days, were processed, and then delivered to the patron. Most items were supplied from the YBP warehouse in Momence, IL. With this project, some of the items will be coming from the east coast, so we are to expect a slightly longer delivery time.

  • Elizabeth gave a presentation regarding the data behind the 5-copy recommendation in Carbondale to the SIUC library advisory committee. She later met with the library faculty. She will be delivering a program at IACRL about the 5-copy recommendation. (Kim noted that the Harper librarians, before submitting a title for purchase, are checking to see if it is owned already by 5+ I-Share schools. The reception to this checking has been positive. With this checking we have noticed how many schools have several copies of the same ebook that is not available for sharing; in those cases we buy a print copy.)

Jim asked, how is that going to work, when a library buys a print copy, of a title that is part of the PDA project—but not through the PDA request process? Elizabeth said that there will be periodic checking for duplicates (every one or two weeks) and the PDA records will be pulled if a copy exists in the system.
Dave asked if there were still plans to speak and meet with ebook vendors at ALA—yes.

  • Elgin Community College is renovating. The library is giving away all of their shelving and some of their furniture. The pictures will be out as a CARLI blog post soon. Everything needs to be picked up by Dec 22.

Review minutes from October & November on wiki.

Please remember to do this at your earliest convenience.

Book Digitization Initiative

  • Elizabeth provided an update. There are six new proposals. Please get the review to her by next Wednesday at 10 p.m. Please include your comments and questions on the survey or email Elizabeth.

Regarding the items available through the HathiTrust: Elizabeth noted that institutions do have to be a member of HathiTrust to be able to download a full item. Otherwise it is a page-by-page download.

The Group discussed the cost-share for items that are local interest only. The group confirmed the decision that these items that are mostly of interest to the proposing institution will be digitized with a cost-share.

  • Digitized Book of the Month. Volunteers: Chad will do February. Lydia will do March. Some CWG members are having trouble getting into the blog and posting. Kim volunteered to post digitized books of the month for people having trouble posting.

CARLI E-Book Meeting, October 28, 2011 in Champaign

  • A sheet of issues raised at the meeting was distributed and discussed. These were not minutes, but a list of questions raised by the breakout groups.
  • Todd asked if there was a time-table on the PDA project. Elizabeth responded, possibly July of 2012. It is possible to do an Request for Information (RFI) and then do a Request for Proposals (RFP). An RFI asks how they would propose to do this. With an RFP there is no wiggle room. An RFI takes as long as an RFP.

Special Collections Survey:

The group discussed the data and how it might be presented publicly. There were about 80 respondents to our survey for information on uncataloged and unprocessed collections-hidden collections.

Members thought that a directory would be useful but that being able to update the content would be necessary.

There are several projects currently underway by other groups to identify special collections. One is the Chicago Collections Consortia. This is a $60K minigrant to focus on Chicago history. Their focus is strictly Chicago. Another project based at the University of Chicago is the Black Metropolis Research Consortium. If either one of those organizations has a really good model for exposing the special collections within the participating institutions perhaps we could model/organize our content in the same fashion.

The group discussed archival software such as Archon, but that was not developed to be used as a directory. ArchiveGrid was discussed but noted that smaller private institutions will not be represented there.

The group discussed starting simple and putting together a special collections list on the CARLI site noting the institution, collection name, website, archivist/contact. Lydia said that we could use ourselves as test cases and see what that would look like. Lydia and Chad will work on this.

Scholarly Communications

Review item for Webpage:

The CWG reviews the Scholarly Communications website twice per year. The CWG received a proposal to link to an article from a recent C&RL News titled, “Innovative Copyright: Unique Resources for Copyright Education”. There was discussion. Do we want to link to the webpage? Should we add a section on the webpage about copyright education? All agreed that some information on copyright would be a valuable addition to the site. Dave will write an annotation for the article and we’ll post the article.

It was noted that there are certain copyright sites that have the information updated on a regular basis. (The SPARC, The Copyright Clearance Center, Kenneth Crews/Columbia) these would be good sites to link to.

We can link to the sites we know are not going to go away and that regularly update the content. Columbia, Cornell, Penn State, Duke…. David and Fred will work on it. Email Dave and Fred the best copyright websites for the Scholarly Communications website in the next couple of days. They will update the page.


  • Harriet’s reaction upon recent review was—this is great, but how do we promote it?

Not everyone had had the opportunity to review the Clearinghouse. There was a comment about a lot of the material being available elsewhere, where it might be kept up to date more regularly. Or that it might be easily found on Google making this page redundant. The clearinghouse is a place for policies and collection resources. Jim recollected that the idea was to create an AcqWeb (which is the national clearing house) on a local basis. He thinks that some of the static information is good.

At one time, there was a proposal to have special collections working group. But that charge fell under us. I think we have the power to ask people outside of this committee to work on things, as none of us are truly archivists.

Harriet’s feeling is that we should keep the site for now. Kim volunteered to look at the site and see if these are sites that should be deleted, or if there are others that could be added to strengthen the resource. She will email her suggestions.

  • There was discussion about an intern or Library Science student to work on the Clearinghouse. Originally a graduate students at Dominican helped to populate some of the categories with information. Kim will have a practicum student in the spring. She offered some the time towards a look at the Clearinghouse. (Kim will forward the NILRC information on procuring library interns, as part of this program Harper had about 4 interns over a couple of years.)

Joint program on Faculty Education

Chad and Harriet are working with the Public Services working group. Elizabeth asked if anyone had a keynote idea, to pull it all together. (Liaison work - Collections as Service: Outreach to Faculty) Dave – The newly formed outreach committee is looking at both liaison to teaching faculty and instruction. Harriet shared that Northwestern has over 20 librarians that do liaison work. Even from Technical Services (it’s a little piece of their time). This is a cultural shift, changing the way people look at collection development—collections as a service; towards a philosophy of service. Dave – there is a natural overlap between public services and collection development.

Keynote may be outreach to faculty. Elizabeth urged us to think about who might be a good keynote on this topic. Kim will look into who is writing about “the role of the liaison” and “collections as service” in the library literature.

A few names were mentioned as possibilities: Chris Stewart (Dominican), Mary Monroe (UIUC adjunct/retired). Perhaps someone from a small liberal arts school: IL Wesleyan, Augustana, Lake Forest, or Knox? Steve Wiberley, at UIC? We could also have a panel as keynote, representing different types of institutions.

Fred has checked available dates at Loyola. The date will be in either June or July (ALA is June 21-26). We could also ask a school, not represented on CWG, to host. Harriet will check and the maximum capacity for the Northwestern room she has in mind. If we are using instate people and have free space, we don’t have to submit a program planning request.

Other Continuing Education

  • Spring webinar series. Four recordings are ready to go 1) ILL analysis, 2) statistics, 3) SFX, 4) paper assessment.
  • Jim suggested a podcast or webinar on the quirks of GOBI. (Not a YBP point of view) to talk about navigating around the quirks.
  • Kim suggested Print on Demand publishers—a webinar on the plethora of self publishing houses, print on demand and reprint industries. They have crept into Books in Print and Amazon, and it is really easy for someone not paying close attention to order a book that is actually a bunch of Wikipedia articles bound together, a reprint from the 1920’s or a book that is self published. Here is a rough list, you can search these publishers in I-share and find things. Not all are bad, one might actually want a 1921 reprint of Penology in the United States.

Next Meetings

  • Book digitization meeting next week Thursday 12/15, 9:00 a.m.
  • Lydia will poll to confirm from those not attending, but hold February 2nd as a conference call 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. two hours. General topics.
  • March 8th is book digitization conference call 9:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m.
  • April 5th is an in person meeting at Erickson 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
  • We have assigned a lot of tasks. We said that we would do those things before the next meeting. Some of this can also be covered over email.