Commercial Products Committee Meeting: March 9, 2023


Members Attending: Michele Hunt (Northern Illinois University), Marie Martino (Moraine Valley Community College), Thane Montaner (Prairie State College), Sarah Johnson (Eastern Illinois University), Scott Thomson (Rush University)

CARLI Staff Attending: Jenny Taylor, Nicole Ream-Sotomayor, Marisa Tolbert

Members Absent: Amy Fry (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign), Jessica Harris (University of Chicago), Mary Tatro (Augustana College), Amanda Wiesenhofer (Lincoln Land Community College)


CARLI Updates

  • Jenny shared that vendors are continuing to enter pricing into the selection system for FY24. CARLI is working on securing fair pricing, fixing pricing errors, and making sure that key differences in pricing are properly reflected. Target date for opening the system to libraries is April 3.
  • ProQuest will have access fees for Alexander Street Press collections that were originally purchased on behalf of libraries 10 years ago.
  • Marisa shared that Denise will be doing an advanced version of the Alma Primo VE link troubleshooting session on April 13th.
  • The CARLI committee volunteer form will be distributed next week; committee members were encouraged to share the announcement with anyone who might be interested in serving.
  • Amy Fry has resigned from her position on the committee; the committee will wait until the next round of committee volunteers to find a replacement.



NewsBank - the committee discussed this proposal, had follow-up questions for the vendor, and will continue discussion at the April meeting

Annual Project

  • The March 1st session was successful and well-attended.
  • Michele will get together with Marie to plan the next session.
  • Scott will help co-moderate the May 3rd session.
  • The remaining sessions in the series are:
    • Session 2: Thursday, April 6, 1 p.m.
      • Topic: Small libraries & Community Colleges engaging with OA models & content
        • Their needs and how they differ
        • Managing content, resources for students, & teaching students
        • Which models they are using and why
      • Moderators: Michele and Marie
      • Creation of Questions: TBD
    • Session 3: Wednesday, May 3, 10 a.m.
      • Managing all areas of OA content and discovery
        • Faculty relations
        • Managing the content itself along with the agreements, tracking payments, entitlements
        • Advertising and teaching about OA materials
      • Moderators: Michele and Scott
      • Creation of Questions: TBD


  • Minutes from the February meeting were approved.
  • Co-moderators for OA discussions 2 and 3 were decided.

Tasks Assigned

  • Marie and Michele will work on a blurb for CARLI staff to send out with the registration for the 2nd discussion session.
  • CARLI staff will set up registration and send out announcements for the next session.

Meeting Dates

  • Next Meeting: Thursday, April 13, 2023, 11 a.m. via Zoom
  • Schedule of upcoming meetings:
    • Thursday, May 11
    • Thursday, June 8