Collection Management Committee Meeting: January 20, 2021

Zoom / Conference Call

Members present: David Bell, co-chair (Eastern Illinois University), Chad Buckley (Illinois State University), Kelli Getz (DePaul University), Paolo Gujilde (Northwestern University), Lorene Kennard (University of St. Francis), Niamh McGuigan (Loyola University Chicago), Scott Thomson (Rush University)

Members Absent: Dan Blewett, co-chair, (College of DuPage), Keith Eiten (Wheaton College)

Board Liaison present: Taran Ley (Southern Illinois University School of Medicine)

CARLI Staff present: Elizabeth Clarage, Nicole Ream-Sotomayor, Jennifer Taylor

CARLI Staff Absent: Jennifer Masciadrelli


  • Minutes for December 2021 meeting were provisionally approved.
  • Collection Development help-consultants (directory) project tabled.
  • Topics for March and April chat sessions will be decided after the February chat session.
  • Looking at possible formal topics for more formal learning opportunities (webinars) next year; CMC will ask for topics from the informal chat sessions.

Tasks Assigned

  • Paolo Gujilde will take minutes.
  • Niamh will write a summation of the Primo VE issue with subject searching.


  • CARLI Updates
    • Consortial Ebooks
      • In July, CARLI will purchase ebook titles from Wiley and Oxford.
      • CARLI is considering purchasing those titles that are heavily used.
      • CARLI received CARES Funding grant from Illinois State Library that will help to support year 2 of consortial ebooks.
  • Member Announcements
    • Lorene Kennard (University of St. Francis):
      • The library underwent inventory of books using Alma inventory tool. The project is ahead of schedule with the anticipated end of the project in May 2021. Inventory resulted in finding missing books as well as books not checked-in after circulation.
      • Recommends using Alma inventory tool  
    • Niamh McGuigan (Loyola University Chicago)
      • Loyola switched to Primo VE.
      • Subject browse search seems different from before and the questioned whether the functionality is broken or not. Perhaps, subject browse is no longer common; however, the function is helpful.
      • Elizabeth asked Niamh to write up this issue for the committee. If this is considered an enhancement to the catalog, the committee can discuss about promoting to the members so that they might “vote” for this enhancement.


  • Projects
    • Open Access Ebooks
      • No update from CMC.
      • Elizabeth mentioned that CARLI staff talked about adding Open Collections through Primo VE. Their next steps are to create a criteria list for adding open collections and they will ask for feedback from CMC. The criteria will be use for future activations of open collections in Primo VE.
    • Weeding Ebooks
      • Waiting for Jen to find someone from the technical committee with ebooks expertise.
      • No further update.
    • Alma Analytics
      • No update from CMC.
    • Collection Development help-consultants
      • Committee decided to table this project.
  • Other topics
    • Planning Zoom Chat Offerings
      • The next chat is on February 11, 3-4pm, with the topic of streaming media. Other chat days are March 12 and April 14.
      • CARLI created registration form with field for topic suggestions. This will most likely result into more topics.
      • Niamh mentioned that the AV Librarian from Loyola will attend the chat session for streaming media.
      • Event announcement will be sent out 1/20/2021.
    • For March and April dates, topics will be chosen after the February informal chat.
  • 2020-2021 Activities
    • CARLI Committee Review – update from committee chairs meeting
      • Committee chairs met and reviewed submitted materials from each committee.
      • Feedback from CARLI Board was good and continue what the committee is already doing.
      • Additional information from CARLI staff: There was a call to create a new committee focusing on Discovery from several committees, however, the group will begin as a task force. Commercial Products Committee recommended a group that focuses on electronic resources and how it works with catalog. Also, there was a discussion on EDI language across all committees.  
  • Discussion of potential webinar or other educational outreach activities
    • CMC is good for this year.
    • Discussed additional learning opportunities aside from informal chats. A possible topic is creating a webinar on Alma inventory tool (see Lorene’s announcement).
    • CMC will ask for additional topics from attendees of the informal chats. This will be for next year’s learning opportunities. Probably, more formal such as webinars and workshops.

Next Meeting and Deadlines

The next meeting will take place virtually on February 17, 2021 at 9:30 - 11:00am.

Future Meetings:

  • March 17, 2021
  • April 21, 2021
  • May 19, 2021
  • June 16, 2021

Informal Chat with the CARLI Collection Management Committee: Looking Back to Move Forward: Reflecting on a Challenging Year in Collection Management

  • February 11, 2021: 3:00 - 4:00pm
  • March 12, 2021: 11:00am – 12:00pm
  • April 14, 2021: 3:00 – 4:00pm