Collection Management Committee Meeting: October 16, 2019

Conference call via Zoom

Members attending: David Bell, co-chair (Eastern Illinois University), Daniel Blewett, co-chair (College of DuPage), Chad Buckley (Illinois State University), Keith Eiten (Wheaton College), Paolo Gujilde (Northwestern University), Lorene Kennard (University of St. Francis), Gretchen Schneider, (Oakton Community College), and Scott Thomson (Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science)

Member absent: Kelli Getz (DePaul University), Taran Ley (SIU School of Medicine Library)

CARLI staff present: Elizabeth Clarage and Jennifer Masciadrelli


  • The committee will prepare a one page summary to be shared at the Annual Meeting. We are not sending a presenter.
  • Upon the recommendation of the committee, the Scholarly Communications page was removed from CARLI’s website.


  • CARLI Updates:
    • The Alma test environment will be available on October 23rd.
    • They are still loading files in the library’s Box folders
      • A note will be sent in the Box folder on Wednesday with credentials and to start the review process.
    • The Primo Test environment is projected to be available on November 11.
    • Alma in-person training sessions are open for registration. There will be more dates in spring.
      • October 29 and 30 at UI Springfield (Springfield, IL) registration link:
      • October 31 and November 1 at Joliet Junior College (Joliet, IL) registration link:
      • November 11 and 12 at Wheaton College (Wheaton, IL) – filled
      • December 19 and 20 at UI Chicago (Chicago, IL) registration link:
    • There will be an Alma webinar series soon available by Ex Libris.
      • Will focus on workflows.
      • Starts in November.
      • Will be recorded for the I-Share libraries to access afterwards.
    • The Annual Meeting is November 15.
      • The day before, CARLI, with the University of Illinois iSchool, will host a job fair and a mixer in the evening.
      • The meeting is not restricted to just directors (anyone in CARLI can come).
      • Registration ends November 7th.
    • There are two new staff members at CARLI.
      • Emily Wros is a Graduate Assistant who started August 19. She is helping with the I-Share/Alma Migration
      • Nicole Ream-Sotomayor is the new Senior Coordinator of Electronic Resources. She started on September 30.
  • Member Announcements:
    • Daniel Blewett, co-chair (College of DuPage)
      • The union is ratifying a new contract. The library is interviewing for an adjunct position.
    • Chad Buckley (Illinois State University)
      • The library is searching for a new Dean and two new science librarians.
    • Keith Eiten (Wheaton College)
      • The switch from Dewey Decimal to LC is 90% complete, and the collections are all open to the public again. The library is searching for a new Dean. The library is also performing data clean-up in preparation for Alma.
    • Paolo Gujilde (Northwestern University)
      • The new Authority Metadata Librarian, Jamie Carlstone, has started at Northwestern. They are processing their Government Documents backlog.
    • Lorene Kennard (University of St. Francis)
      • The library is performing Alma data clean-up and is nearly complete. The university is celebrating their centennial next year; the archivist is beginning to gather information to help support the celebrations. Furniture was donated in the library commons, and the spot has become very popular and busy as a result.
    • Gretchen Schneider, (Oakton Community College)
      • Oakton is hosting a Learning Day October 24 for employees. The topic of the day is Equity.
      • The library just acquired more Wi-Fi hotspots for patrons to check out for 3 days. There has been a huge amount of positive feedback from the patrons on how life changing it is to have internet access at home.
    • Scott Thomson (Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science)
      • The library is working on an assessment project where they are tracking where people are actually sitting to help them determine what furniture they should buy for their pop-up information literacy project. Rosalind Franklin’s online programs are currently holding finals.

Tasks Assigned

  • Gretchen will take minutes this month. Scott will take minutes next month.
  • David and Dan will create a one page summary that includes both what the committee did last year and what is being planned for this year for the annual meeting.
  • The committee will edit and approve the 1 page summary for the annual meeting before it is due on October 21st.


  • Annual Meeting
    • The committee must decide to present at the CARLI Annual Meeting or not. All committees must provide a one-page summary of what we did last year and plan to do this year.
      • The committee decided not to present at the annual meeting.
      • The committee decided to submit the 1 page summary.
      • David volunteered to create the first draft. He and Dan will review it and then submit it to the committee for final edits.
      • The 1 page summary is due October 21.
  • Weeding eBooks
    • The subgroup is planning to create general guidelines. The guidelines will include:
      • How to de-accession electronic documents?
      • How to identify and find eBooks to be weeded?
      • What judgements to make for weeding?
        • What statistics to use?
        • Date of publication versus age of material?
      • How to deal with weeding eBook packages?
      • Plan to include a literature review.
    • The subgroup plans to review the new eBook section included in the CREW method for book weeding.
  • Alma Analytics
    • The subgroup decided to limit training to collection development and not acquisitions.
      • It will gather various search strategies for finding relevant data for collection development in Alma.
      • It will look at analytics gathered for Voyager last year and try to find correlations in Alma.
        • CARLI staff will help us find comparable reports.
    • The subgroup will suggest queries that should be created and shared in the network zone.
      • CARLI staff will be working on developing reports as well.
    • The subgroup will create a spreadsheet to gather training resources collected for this project.
  • Survey of Print Book Purchases
    • The subgroup discussed how libraries are supporting the acquisition of print monographs.
    • Over the course of its discussion, the project focus changed provide a list of experts in the field instead of poll for information.
      • Instead of creating a survey, the group will instead focus on creating a list of experts in CARLI willing to consult with other libraries on various aspects of managing print collections.
        • Want to gather name of selectors of specific topics.
        • Want to gather different types of project experts.
        • Want to gather experts on creating a collection development policy.
      • Will make it like a wiki so people can add themselves to the list.
        • CARLI will work on creating a document to store this information.
      • Discussed how to solicit volunteers
        • Want to add information on how long people are listed so it is not a long term commitment
        • Possibly add the request to the request for volunteers for committees.
        • Experts are there to help you get started and make suggestions – not there to be part of the project or be consulted on a weekly basis (not to be used as a professional consultant).
  • Streaming Videos and Data Sets
    • No report
  • Open Access eBooks
    • The subgroup will continue to identify new collections, though they cannot be added until after Alma.
    • The subgroup also discussed how the currently selected open access ebook collections will be exposed in the Primo VE to libraries that have opted-in through the network zone.

Next meeting and Deadlines

The next meeting will be November 16 from 9:30-11am.
The URL to Join the Zoom meeting on Oct 16 at 9:30 will be: